Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Senator A2.  (Read 29774 times)

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
Re: Senator A2.
« Reply #135 on: 23 May 2017, 17:11:29 »

Thanks Chris,
It's the Bosch version-two screws and the regulator was off. Car is very nice-have to get the exhaust done though-blowing from the manifold to downpipe connections. Will get a garage to do it as its very tight under my ramps. Have to completely remove the downpipes from the middle silencers to get it attached properly. Very fiddly when doing the head-couldn't get an even coating of paste on the flanges.

It's running very well-smooth and quiet-BUT not a patch performance wise on my Royale. The Royale has a later 3.0 injection engine and 4 speed auto from a a Monza and is quick. The three speed on the Senator seems high geared in first and second-but low geared in top 20mph = 1000rpm in the Royale 25mph = 1000rpm in top. Will have to check timing-but it doesn't seem retarded.

Thanks

Steve
Previous
Omega 2.5 GLS Auto Estate         S115 JVV
Omega 3.0 Elite  Auto Estate        T639 TFA

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 23 May 2017, 19:01:57 »

yes from what I recall of my Senator A three speed auto days it was somewhere around three and a half thousand revs for an indicated 70mph where the Senator B 4 speed auto was just over 2,000revs for the same speed.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 04 June 2017, 20:42:00 »

Thanks again CIH!

Using the original head-will leave in tensioner.

With regards getting access to the headbolts-I can turn the cam once I have removed the sprocket - is that correct?

Will strap the chain to the sprocket with a few zip ties so nothing can move.

Thanks again

Steve

Tbh Steve you shouldn't need to tie wrap it if you are just lifting head off. It doesn't move, there is a plate right under it that it sits on.

Getting access to the head bolts, epsecially the back ones. I bought a smaller length tool to get into the small space. Can't remember the sizing now, but my new bolts were allen type, old were splines. So I had to buy a set of spline sockets to get them out and a Allen type to get new ones back on, and the smaller Allen one to get into the back ones  :o

P.S. just in case you or anyone reading this is interested here is video of mine running right after I fixed an oil guard round the cam area. Used an old ikea plastic storage box. I still had downpipes off at this point so was noisy and was preparing to set the tappets, after I got downpipes on.

Runs good now so hopefully that gives some inspiration.

http://vid132.photobucket.com/albums/q11/Pichost28/Cars/Omega/Videos/senator-running-cam-cover-off_zps4fmgkxe8.mp4

« Last Edit: 04 June 2017, 20:46:00 by grifter »

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 05 June 2017, 12:39:08 »

exhaust or not it still sounds good ! nice job

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 05 June 2017, 17:02:13 »

Thanks all,
I zip tied it for piece of mind. I did buy some longer splined drives which made accessing the rear head bolts relatively easy. Have done about 300 mile so far back and forth to work. Apart from a noisy manifold blow (cannot hear in car) its superb. As I said-not as quick as the Royale-but much more comfortable.
Next on the "to-do" list is to fix the central locking - I've identified a wire broken in the door loom and a "dodgy" front passenger window. It seems to stick-take it apart-take the motor out lubricate runners back together and works fine for a while and then it stops again-rinse and repeat-will have to get to the bottom of it.

Next move is to see if the Royale alloys fit it-they need a refurb - but in my eyes suit the car better. Will also keep a look out for a set of early Senator/Royale alloys.

Regards

Steve
Previous

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 05 June 2017, 21:05:21 »

I have in the past seen a Royale coupe wearing the Senator alloys as shown in your picture at the beginning of this thread,so yes the Royale alloys will fit the Senator.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 05 June 2017, 21:16:17 »

And you would need to check but im pretty sure most vauxhall 5 stud alloys will fit.this includes the nice ones found on omegas (in my opinion) but may not suit the car and of course some insurance companys dont like modified cars.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 06 June 2017, 13:40:34 »

Thanks all,
I zip tied it for piece of mind. I did buy some longer splined drives which made accessing the rear head bolts relatively easy. Have done about 300 mile so far back and forth to work. Apart from a noisy manifold blow (cannot hear in car) its superb. As I said-not as quick as the Royale-but much more comfortable.
Next on the "to-do" list is to fix the central locking - I've identified a wire broken in the door loom and a "dodgy" front passenger window. It seems to stick-take it apart-take the motor out lubricate runners back together and works fine for a while and then it stops again-rinse and repeat-will have to get to the bottom of it.

Next move is to see if the Royale alloys fit it-they need a refurb - but in my eyes suit the car better. Will also keep a look out for a set of early Senator/Royale alloys.

Regards

Steve

My mate has a full set of those 5 spoke ronal wheels he inherited when he bought his house. He's not into monzas etc. so no use for them. They look quite good nick too.

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 06 June 2017, 16:53:52 »

Thanks Grifter.

Would definitely be interested in the Ronals!

Steve
Previous

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 06 June 2017, 22:02:53 »

Thanks Grifter.

Would definitely be interested in the Ronals!

Steve

Ok Steve, will try and get a few pics from him to let you see them first.

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 07 June 2017, 17:23:24 »

Previous

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 25 June 2017, 15:53:41 »

Update.

Been using the Senator back and forth to work for the last month. It's a fantastic car for it-my commute is about 6 miles A road and 6 miles dual carriageway-it romps along very well.

On the way to work Friday-brother said "this is the most comfortable car we've had" and yesterday picked up a mate who said "this is the most comfortable car I've been in"- a bit of a coincidence.

To be fair-the ride is superb and the "veloooooor" seats are supremely comfortable.

Only niggles-exhaust still blowing at up-pipe to manifold joint-cannot her it from inside-and a dodgy passenger window-take it apart motor is fine-put back together it works for a day or so and then jams again.

Was underneath it checking brakes the other day-it's like a two year old car underneath-but will inject cavity wax before winter.

The only rust on the car are the two passenger side doors-but I have 4 good doors in the same colour which came with the car.

I think I'll take it off the road for winter and use the Royale instead.

I'm into the car for about £1000 ( purchase £600, recovery £100 and parts for the engine and other bits and pieces-about £300)

I must say-what a bargain!!

Steve
Previous

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 25 June 2017, 17:16:49 »

Update.

Been using the Senator back and forth to work for the last month. It's a fantastic car for it-my commute is about 6 miles A road and 6 miles dual carriageway-it romps along very well.

On the way to work Friday-brother said "this is the most comfortable car we've had" and yesterday picked up a mate who said "this is the most comfortable car I've been in"- a bit of a coincidence.

To be fair-the ride is superb and the "veloooooor" seats are supremely comfortable.

Only niggles-exhaust still blowing at up-pipe to manifold joint-cannot her it from inside-and a dodgy passenger window-take it apart motor is fine-put back together it works for a day or so and then jams again.

Was underneath it checking brakes the other day-it's like a two year old car underneath-but will inject cavity wax before winter.

The only rust on the car are the two passenger side doors-but I have 4 good doors in the same colour which came with the car.

I think I'll take it off the road for winter and use the Royale instead.

I'm into the car for about £1000 ( purchase £600, recovery £100 and parts for the engine and other bits and pieces-about £300)

I must say-what a bargain!!

Steve

Almost everyone who got in my Senator said that. Even swmbo loved it. She thinks Omegas are shit though.  ::) ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 26 July 2017, 19:15:36 »

Now done nearly 1000 miles in the Senator.

Going very well.

A few niggles-passenger electric window not working. Take it all apart motor works, mechanism works-put it back together and after a day or two stops. Could be a weak motor?

Exhaust still blowing from manifold join. Cannot hear from inside so will live with it for a while.

Car sometimes takes two goes to start when hot and left in hot weather.

Apart from those-very comfortable and gets a move on when the revs pick up.

Not as quick as the Royale though-that has the same engine but a four speed auto.

Royale should be motd in a week or two.

Regards

Steve
Previous

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 02 August 2017, 17:57:49 »

If you used the early head bolts then it will be ready for a retorque by now. But if you used the later type and angle tightened all should be well.nothing needed.glad its all running well and good. Yes the senator/ royale range of cars were very comfy and probably no doubt helped by the seats .i have had many of them over the years and carltons.all a matter of opinion but dont ruin the excellent original setup by fitting uprated monza gse suspension.not that i think you would. Still think the omega especialy without leather is more comfortable.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 17 queries.