Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: led load resistors  (Read 1991 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
led load resistors
« on: 14 August 2016, 23:19:09 »

My 'new' caravan has led front & side marker lights. My problem with them is that they flash continuously whether the car's lights are on or off. So it's been suggested to me that it's the car's CANbus lamp check & I need to fit  load resistor across them.
My question is ....... what value of resistor am I fitting? Looking on eBay there are loads of 6ohm clicky bu they seem to be for a bigger indicator, whereas I have just 3 little leds - 1 front & 2 side marker each side.

Any suggestion of a resistor size would be most welcome

TIA

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: led load resistors
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2016, 00:21:45 »

Andy, whilst you were on eBay, did you not look at CANbus LEDs that are a direct replacement for your existing lamps? Not knowing exactly what type of ;amp you are currently using, I can't give you a ;ink, sorry.

Ron.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2016, 07:00:11 »

Andy, whilst you were on eBay, did you not look at CANbus LEDs that are a direct replacement for your existing lamps? Not knowing exactly what type of ;amp you are currently using, I can't give you a ;ink, sorry.

Ron.

The led is integral to the fitting

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2016, 07:37:12 »

There's posh, pikey house's, now have led lights, to offset there carbon footprints, for when they use red diesel. ;D
Hoof'land storeman.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2016, 07:41:55 »

There's posh, pikey house's, now have led lights, to offset there carbon footprints, for when they use red diesel. ;D

One manufacturer went the whole hog with led tail lights but it seems they caused that many problems with different nake towcars they've gone back to normal filament bulbs

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2016, 10:25:45 »

Are these markers on the same circuit as the tail lights and number plate lights and are the latter also LEDs or incandescent?

I'm just thinking that, if you already have a few incandescent lamps on the circuit, it will have plenty of resistive load, and adding more may not help.

My guess is that the driver circuit pulses the lamps for a sufficiently short duration that incandescent bulbs don't start to light, but the LEDs give instant light output, so it's noticeable. More load on the circuit probably won't change that.

Where you need to add load resistors to LED lights is in indicator circuits, where the flasher unit is sensitive to the current drawn and will flash fast if too little current is drawn from the circuit.

But.. to answer your question, a 6 ohm resistor will dissipate about 24 watts when driven from a 12V supply, so it's a similar load to a single 21W brake / indicator lamp.

I suppose, if you had 5 watt bulbs in your marker lamps, they'd add up to something around that figure so a single resistor that size would be worth a try. I just have some reservations as to whether it will help. :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2016, 11:25:07 »

I've not looked properly yet. All the rear/tail light are conventional filament bulbs, but the front and side marker lights are led built into the reflector. I'm hoping the are wired up separately from the rear lights that I can try a resistor across them. The pulse is just an opinion from someone else that suggests it's coming from the car's light check

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2016, 23:51:45 »

I've not looked properly yet. All the rear/tail light are conventional filament bulbs, but the front and side marker lights are led built into the reflector. I'm hoping the are wired up separately from the rear lights that I can try a resistor across them. The pulse is just an opinion from someone else that suggests it's coming from the car's light check

Is the car towing wiring via a 7 way bypass relay or are you on the new style combined set up ???
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 August 2016, 23:59:46 »

Is the car towing wiring via a 7 way bypass relay or are you on the new style combined set up ???

I didn't wire it up  :-\ It looks like a dedicated loom, but was originally only a 12N, a local towbar place swapped it for a 13 pin

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 August 2016, 08:36:25 »

Both plugs have separate terminals for left and right tail lights, so I'd first check what's wired to each. If they are correctly wired to their respective tail lights and they are incandescent bulbs, then I'm not sure it's going to help, but, if you find the tail lights are on one feed and the LEDs on the other, then loading that latter feed a little more may help.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 August 2016, 08:43:44 »

if you find the tail lights are on one feed and the LEDs on the other, then loading that latter feed a little more may help.

That's what I'm hoping to find ...... I've had to go to work  :( so not been able to look

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 August 2016, 12:49:52 »

Give Sargents a ring and have a chat .. they are without doubt the best when it comes top sorting car/caravan incompatibility .. they even make plug in boxes to sort out the problems !!

https://sargentltd.co.uk/

don't know if your new van is a swift or not .. but they specalise in these ..

https://sargentltd.co.uk/shop/product/led-road-light-electronic-control-unit/240

« Last Edit: 16 August 2016, 12:52:59 by Entwood »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 August 2016, 13:46:56 »

Give Sargents a ring and have a chat .. they are without doubt the best when it comes top sorting car/caravan incompatibility .. they even make plug in boxes to sort out the problems !! ...

Actually ... they already have the alarm from my caravan, a fault it seems with the tilt sensor part  :-\ so I emailed them my question last night.  :y :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 August 2016, 19:50:39 »

My 'new' caravan has led front & side marker lights. My problem with them is that they flash continuously whether the car's lights are on or off. So it's been suggested to me that it's the car's CANbus lamp check & I need to fit  load resistor across them.
My question is ....... what value of resistor am I fitting? Looking on eBay there are loads of 6ohm clicky bu they seem to be for a bigger indicator, whereas I have just 3 little leds - 1 front & 2 side marker each side.

Any suggestion of a resistor size would be most welcome

TIA
Doesn't make sense that they are flashing on there own without any car lights / indicators on, which may indicate an issue or miss mash in the tow bar connector(s)?

Being leds, would they have there own flasher circuit built in?, and are wrongly being fed by voltage somehow, not convinced fitting additional resistive loads is going to help, tending more towards check the wiring first.  :-\

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 August 2016, 20:42:02 »

Doesn't make sense that they are flashing on there own without any car lights / indicators on, [/quote]
hence my question  ;) These marker lights are just that, nothing to do with indicators

which may indicate an issue or miss mash in the tow bar connector(s)?
All was well with the caravan lights of my previous caravan with the same tow car  :-\ and I have checked for loose connections etc & water ingress of the both plug & socket. And as said, the filament bulbs at the back are working as the should.

Being leds, would they have there own flasher circuit built in?, and are wrongly being fed by voltage somehow, not convinced fitting additional resistive loads is going to help, tending more towards check the wiring first.  :-\
I also have a Smart Fortwo that the previous owner has fitted a led festoon bulb to the interior light. Even when switched to come with the doors open, it's never quite off when the doors are shut.  :-\ They're peculiar things these leds

The Merc's light check is different from the Omega's. On the Omega, you had to turn your lights on for it to check them, same with the brake lights, the Merc though can tell you as you turn the ignition on. I understand it's done via CANbus, but as that is way beyond the scope of a simple fitter, I've no idea how it does it.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.