Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sat Nav Choice  (Read 6686 times)

aaronjb

Re: Sat Nav Choice
« Reply #45 on: 17 September 2018, 09:45:47 »

Granted, was out in the open, but notice on power-on, my quad had 18 locked in sats ;).  Granted, also much newer GPS hardware than what goes into standalone portable units as well...

Indoors, sitting at my desk, my phone is locked on 12 sats..

But you know where you are already... ;D

Some days, I'm not so sure! ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 17 September 2018, 16:58:09 »

Granted, was out in the open, but notice on power-on, my quad had 18 locked in sats ;).  Granted, also much newer GPS hardware than what goes into standalone portable units as well...

I suspect if you could access the serial data, whilst it might claim to "see" 12, its locked to far less....

….as I found out with a quad on Saturday, which had a shitty DJI flight controller/GPS setup, and it claimed a solid lock on 6 sats before I took off, but when it failsafed, it landed about 40m away  >:(. Fortunately it went North, not South, so didn't land anywhere inconvenient, like on a house roof, or car etc...
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 18 September 2018, 01:03:21 »

You need to go higher. Even my trusty old Garmin GPS12XL used to get a full rack of 12 sats a couple of miles up above Jockular land!  ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #48 on: 18 September 2018, 08:23:59 »

I suspect if you could access the serial data, whilst it might claim to "see" 12, its locked to far less....

GPS Test reported it could "see" 20-odd, and 12 were "in use" - I can only assume it can only use stats it's locked on to.. still, my old iPaq used to get me around just fine with a lock on about 4 sats, so.. ;)

STEMO

« Reply #49 on: 18 September 2018, 08:37:44 »

When you get as old as me, you don't really go anywhere that you haven't been before, so you can get by with a 'near enough'.  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 18 September 2018, 18:21:11 »

You need to go higher. Even my trusty old Garmin GPS12XL used to get a full rack of 12 sats a couple of miles up above Jockular land!  ;D
CAA have limited me to 400' now :(.  And being the model citizen, I never breach that and post on a public site like utube
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 18 September 2018, 18:23:07 »

GPS Test reported it could "see" 20-odd, and 12 were "in use" - I can only assume it can only use stats it's locked on to.. still, my old iPaq used to get me around just fine with a lock on about 4 sats, so.. ;)
That sounds like it might be an older chipset that has a limit on sats it can use simultaneously, rather than truly locked on, if it was indoors.

What does the tool say outdoors?
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #52 on: 19 September 2018, 08:58:35 »

What does the tool say outdoors?

Dunno - I uninstalled the app now  :P I've never needed to look - like I say, Waze/Google Maps have never got me lost yet  :y
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.