Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Encourage me to buy an Mv6  (Read 15412 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Encourage me to buy an Mv6
« Reply #60 on: 27 September 2016, 22:38:01 »

They're messing... It will invariably fail at some point regardless of whether it has previously been changed.

Only buy genuine from a genuine vx dealer that you genuinely have to walk into. :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 28 September 2016, 10:36:10 »

Has anyone mentioned the need for a spare crank sensor yet ?  ;D

Should I keep one in the boot just in case, or replace the existing one, just in case ?

Omegas are no worse for crank sensor failure than any other car. If you're worried about it, then buy a new, genuine one from a dealer(this is true for all marques), fit it, and forget about it.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 28 September 2016, 11:13:14 »

It's mainly because it is sat baking from the day it's fitted. Personally if it's kicked/tie-wrapped out of the way, I'd say it'll last almost indefinitely. That said, even in its original position, being nearly glued to the exhaust manifold, they still often manage to last about ten years-plus, which isn't bad going.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 28 September 2016, 11:46:19 »

Sound advice, Nick.
Has anyone mentioned the need for a spare crank sensor yet ?  ;D

Should I keep one in the boot just in case, or replace the existing one, just in case ?

Omegas are no worse for crank sensor failure than any other car. If you're worried about it, then buy a new, genuine one from a dealer(this is true for all marques), fit it, and forget about it.
Sound advice, Nick. Cars are designed to last 7 years; some have warranties this long. After that they are junk, main dealers don't want them, they have little residual value. DIYers buy them for peanuts, and get many years more life out of them. Some things will fail, most can be spotted before they bring they cause breakdown. In 10 years of running 6 Omegas I have suffered 4 crank sensor failures (1 3.2, 3 2.5s), 3 cam sensor failures (2.2s), 3 starters, 3 alternators, and 2 aux belt tensioner bearing seizures.
Apart from a spare wheel, I carry no spares. I have found crank sensors usually recover on cooling down, and get me home.

Toledodude1973

• Omega Knight
  • IPSWICH U.K.
  • 2002 2.6 elite,1973 ,Gas van,1974 victor fe
    • 2.6 OMEGA ELITE 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 28 September 2016, 12:01:31 »

I'd be more worried about the half marathon ;D
2002 omega slowly morphing into 2003 omega with increasing doner parts fitted

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 28 September 2016, 12:09:45 »

As a comparison for the OP, I can say with about 10 years, same as you, Terry, and two Omegas the list goes...

Crank sensor (2.5 V6)
Coil Pack (2.5 V6) (down to zero breather maintenance)

'Hydraulicked' (2.5 TD) (gallon of water got poured into the air intake - don't ask how  :o ::)) but after draining ran perfectly fine
Starter Motor (2.5 TD)
Old, brittle leak off pipes required replacement (2.5 TD)
Ignition barrel seized (2.5 TD)

Drive belt snapped (2.5 V6) (less than 6 month old Genuine Vx one - odd! the cracked old one it replaced hadn't snapped, but the BN one did!)
Gearbox went into 'Limp Home' mode twice (gearbox oil & filter changed, no maladies since)

Can't recall anything else. And much of the above is really under 'maintenance' not fair to say 'the car broke' other consumables exhausts, tyres etc of course aren't mentioned.

The only genuine honest-to-good 'breakdown' was the Crank Sensor, about 8 years ago. A used one went on, and still going strong. I'm sure an alternator replacement must be in there somewhere, but not 100%  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 28 September 2016, 13:30:52 »

Newpod , I've a spare working sensor on my breaker you are welcome to, I'm possibly down your way on Sat doing some work on a car. 
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

STEMO

« Reply #67 on: 28 September 2016, 21:05:04 »

Newpod , I've a spare working sensor on my breaker you are welcome to, I'm possibly down your way on Sat doing some work on a car.
Doing some work? You sure you're a scouser? ;D

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 28 September 2016, 21:58:42 »

Ah well, Saturday (early) I'm heading to Cardiff (220 miles) with my wife and her sister, in said omega.  - Assuming that I buy it tomorrow and the buyer hasn't been bullshitting me. 

I'm actually bricking it. WCPGW ?

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 28 September 2016, 22:05:09 »

Given that I'm almost 50, and was 16 stone in April, when I decided to do it, I HAVE been worried, but last night I did my last training run.

On my first training run, I managed 50 yards before I had to stop.
After 4 weeks of training I couldn't actually walk and had to seek the services of a sports physio.
Until last night I'd never run more than 4 miles without having to stop, although I was doing 8 miles with a combination of walking and running in 1 hour and 20 mins.

Last night in my last training run, I managed to run 9 miles without stopping, in 1 hour 30 mins.

If anyone wants to sponsor me https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Grace-Jackson2

we are raising money for :

https://www.ambitiousaboutautism.org.uk/

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 28 September 2016, 22:45:36 »

Given that I'm almost 50, and was 16 stone in April, when I decided to do it, I HAVE been worried, but last night I did my last training run.

On my first training run, I managed 50 yards before I had to stop.
After 4 weeks of training I couldn't actually walk and had to seek the services of a sports physio.
Until last night I'd never run more than 4 miles without having to stop, although I was doing 8 miles with a combination of walking and running in 1 hour and 20 mins.

Last night in my last training run, I managed to run 9 miles without stopping, in 1 hour 30 mins.

If anyone wants to sponsor me https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Grace-Jackson2

we are raising money for :

https://www.ambitiousaboutautism.org.uk/

I'm sure the Omega will make the distance, You....meh  ;D  . Autism's a worthy cause and a close one to a few members hearts, good luck on both fronts  :y
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 28 September 2016, 23:32:34 »

Doing some work? You sure you're a scouser? ;D

I genuinely work 7 days a week ya wee ballbag  ;) 

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 29 September 2016, 22:00:47 »

So, I went and did it. MV6 purchased. Only issue apart from the dented rear passenger door (anyone got a spare one in blue?) was that the brakes are grabby, and the car pulls to the left under hard breaking. But price lowered to take it into account.

Wife not seen it but not happy. Not sure why.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 29 September 2016, 22:37:01 »

So, I went and did it. MV6 purchased. Only issue apart from the dented rear passenger door (anyone got a spare one in blue?) was that the brakes are grabby, and the car pulls to the left under hard breaking. But price lowered to take it into account.

Most important question is....are you happy ? 

Bojan

• Intermediate Member
  • Croatia, Slavonski Brod
    • MV6 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 30 September 2016, 07:06:33 »

How do you mean grabby?
As for pulling - in addition to usual suspect (front wishbone bushings), do check (or have somebody check) if brake calipers have siezed. I had a similar situation recently - car pulls right, steering wheel goes left, and it was siezed slider on left front caliper. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.