Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Encourage me to buy an Mv6  (Read 15435 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Encourage me to buy an Mv6
« Reply #75 on: 30 September 2016, 09:14:31 »

So, I went and did it. MV6 purchased. Only issue apart from the dented rear passenger door (anyone got a spare one in blue?) was that the brakes are grabby, and the car pulls to the left under hard breaking. But price lowered to take it into account.

Wife not seen it but not happy. Not sure why.

Most important question is....are you happy ?

Oh, that seems a shame. Unfortunately there's potentially several months of fettling to come to get this car in tip top 'shouldn't be much trouble for a couple of years' condition. Which if she's not happy now, I can imagine some heated conversations  :( If it's pulling I'd advise a complete from suspension change, as has been mentioned, with associated geo setup. Then it really wouldnt hurt to whip the calipers apart and refurb them, might as well get some pain on them while there. That should sort out any drifting/pulling.

However to an unsympathetic ear, I can imagine it being distilled down to 'why have you bought an old broken car?'

That's ignoring Work's Mundano company car, which is serviced to death, which now needs some minor repairs, totally £600 + vat. After enduring 3 years of ''oooh is that old car of yours broken again?'' I thought it fair to point out my 'repairs' for the year total £140 - and that's actually including major service, and none of it 'broken' - all just service items and maintenance. 6 yr old Frod vs 20 year old Vauxhall.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 30 September 2016, 13:53:06 »

Overlooking the fact that it's just been MoTd... ::)

If it has been standing, chances are that the brakes simply need a service... ie calipers and pads off, cleaned and appropriately lubricated and then reassembled.

New rear discs/pads might be in order looking at the MoT advisories ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 30 September 2016, 14:27:43 »

True, it could, and in fact is most likely to be just the brakes. Pulling to one side under braking, is either brakes, low tyre pressure, or wishbones.
Everyone (well, some do/some don't) knows that an MoT isn't a bill and guarantee of perfect car health. If an MoT were a warranty of 365 day's trouble-free future motoring we'd all be better off, in evenings lost and money spent.

Fair point, it's passed the MoT so the suspension is 'fine' but I'd be tempted to get a geometry check if I'd just bought an Omega (which is free) - it's bound to be off, let's be honest. Soon as it's decided to get it sorted you then face 'get the geometry set up on suspension of unknown age/quality', or 'replace with new/refurbed, then do it', thus guaranteeing yourself donkey's years peace of mind. Depends how you want to run a car - pass the MoT, do nothing until next time. Or spend the year on preventative maintenance and servicing etc, to do your best to avoid nasty surprises come the next test.  :)  Each to their own.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 30 September 2016, 14:33:43 »

True, it could, and in fact is most likely to be just the brakes. Pulling to one side under braking, is either brakes, low tyre pressure, or wishbones.
Everyone (well, some do/some don't) knows that an MoT isn't a bill and guarantee of perfect car health. If an MoT were a warranty of 365 day's trouble-free future motoring we'd all be better off, in evenings lost and money spent.

Fair point, it's passed the MoT so the suspension is 'fine' but I'd be tempted to get a geometry check if I'd just bought an Omega (which is free) - it's bound to be off, let's be honest. Soon as it's decided to get it sorted you then face 'get the geometry set up on suspension of unknown age/quality', or 'replace with new/refurbed, then do it', thus guaranteeing yourself donkey's years peace of mind. Depends how you want to run a car - pass the MoT, do nothing until next time. Or spend the year on preventative maintenance and servicing etc, to do your best to avoid nasty surprises come the next test.  :)  Each to their own.  :)
It passed the MoT a mere three days ago ::) advisories were both rear discs and an oil leak.

Given that it's been stood, it's clearly going to need work/use to fettle it ;)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 30 September 2016, 14:51:26 »

Hang on, I'm becoming more confused. I suggested it may want it's brakes and also suspension looking at, in part because it's pulling under braking...in part because they always want their front suspension looking at. Your suggestion was this is unnecessary because it's got an MoT, passed recently; just do the brakes.

You now state that given that it's been stood, it's clearly going to need work/use to fettle it. I'm not sure how we've managed to disagree while you also agree with me ???  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 30 September 2016, 15:36:19 »

If brake imbalance or worn bushes were present they would have been noted as advisories at the very least, especially if a pull was evident.

Op mentions slightly grabby brakes. Nothing more, nothing less. From the MOT advisories, I would start with the rear brakes.

It stands to reason also that there will be all sorts of things that the car will need, including regular use, to clear any cobwebs and also to get it to the Ops level of satisfaction. This last point varies from person to person... For some, it is enough that it scrapes through the MOT every year, and for others, attacking it piece by piece over three or four years as you are is a minimum level of care.

It stands to reason that things will crop up as the car is used/the OP becomes accustomed to it.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 30 September 2016, 17:01:08 »

First thing I Need is a Rear passenger door in 69L ? Blue.
I've manipulated the hinges back into place

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 01 October 2016, 13:35:37 »

Has anyone mentioned the need for a spare crank sensor yet ?  ;D

Should I keep one in the boot just in case, or replace the existing one, just in case ?

Omegas are no worse for crank sensor failure than any other car. If you're worried about it, then buy a new, genuine one from a dealer(this is true for all marques), fit it, and forget about it.
Omega V6 has a problem in that a duff/failing crank sensor does leave you stranded.  Of course, some other cars do as well, though many cars do actually still limp you home when the crank sensor fails.

That's why I always pop a brand new, still in box, bought from a dealer over the counter, spare crank sensor in the boot* when I go on a long trip.

* Well, between the back seats and the gas tank.
Grumpy old man

Derek_in_Penzance

• Penzance, Cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 01 October 2016, 17:17:48 »

I hope I'm not butting in but I agree with the posts about crank sensors. On my 2.5 Omega it drove to work here fine, then when I went out (in the p-ing rain) to go home 8 hours later it wouldn't start. The sensor had failed just sitting there parked! Fortunately I had another car so got home OK but a new crank sensor fitted a few days later and away we went.
« Last Edit: 01 October 2016, 17:23:13 by Derek_in_Penzance »
Go to Facebook and become a Fan of the GM6 Spares Facebook page. Omegas dismantling, mail order parts & servicing. Tech 2 services available.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 01 October 2016, 20:34:07 »

We've discussed this before, but fitting at the roadside is not so easy. I guess the technique is as follows:
Jack up n/s front wheel as high as possible with car jack;
place spare wheel below n/s front wheel; lower and remove jack;
crawl under car with torch, remove torx screw retaining sensor; remove sensor;
insert new sensor, replace screw;
open bonnet; haul new sensor lead up to bonnet level; jack car up again; remove spare wheel; lower jack, sling jack in the boot;
working under bonnet, find sensor lead connector under the scuttle; disconnect old cable; connect new cable;
fix new lead clear of exhaust downpipe; start engine.

So I need to carry spare sensor, torx driver and ratchet, and pray it does not fail on a wet night. It sounds a fag, but better than hanging around 3 hours to be rescued.

I understand TB has done it, has anybody else?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 01 October 2016, 20:41:12 »

Should I keep one in the boot just in case, or replace the existing one, just in case ?

Omegas are no worse for crank sensor failure than any other car. If you're worried about it, then buy a new, genuine one from a dealer(this is true for all marques), fit it, and forget about it.
Omega V6 has a problem in that a duff/failing crank sensor does leave you stranded.  Of course, some other cars do as well, though many cars do actually still limp you home when the crank sensor fails.

How does that work then?

And to the OP, buying a new part just in case and not fitting it is retarded. You could make a case for keeping the old one as a spare, but the reality is that this 'problem' is over exaggerated.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 01 October 2016, 22:51:56 »

How does that work then?

And to the OP, buying a new part just in case and not fitting it is retarded. You could make a case for keeping the old one as a spare, but the reality is that this 'problem' is over exaggerated.

I believe some engines (well ECU's really) can run in Limp via the cam sensor.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 01 October 2016, 22:59:08 »

We've discussed this before, but fitting at the roadside is not so easy. I guess the technique is as follows:
Jack up n/s front wheel as high as possible with car jack;
place spare wheel below n/s front wheel; lower and remove jack;
crawl under car with torch, remove torx screw retaining sensor; remove sensor;
insert new sensor, replace screw;
open bonnet; haul new sensor lead up to bonnet level; jack car up again; remove spare wheel; lower jack, sling jack in the boot;
working under bonnet, find sensor lead connector under the scuttle; disconnect old cable; connect new cable;
fix new lead clear of exhaust downpipe; start engine.

So I need to carry spare sensor, torx driver and ratchet, and pray it does not fail on a wet night. It sounds a fag, but better than hanging around 3 hours to be rescued.

I understand TB has done it, has anybody else?

Yep x2. T'was great fun! ::)

But yes, always carry a spare crank sensor, torx socket and ratchet and piece of wood to stand the jack on in the boot now.

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 01 October 2016, 23:47:05 »

Not wanting to be a killjoy, but the replies to this topic 'encourage me to buy an MV6' would put most people off, although it's been interesting reading so far..............

I guess it all boils down to - Do you feel lucky?

In over a quarter of a million miles of Omega ownerships I've replaced 1 crank sensor, and half the problem was its routing close to the exhaust. The replacement sensor wiring now runs nearer the ABS unit, as do most that are replaced by others.

What amuses me (or sometimes keeps me awake at nights) is what else should I be carrying in the boot, just in case? Blocks of wood to chock the wheels when using the Vauxhall jack, axle stands, a full set of sockets, spanners and screwdrivers, electrical tester, workshop manual, etc, etc. Maybe the solution is to tow a complete Omega around behind - A. to put all the kit in, and B. as a source of spare parts just in case.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but yes, it's all down to luck, and a bit of preparation / planned maintenance and care.  :D :D 
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 02 October 2016, 10:42:16 »

I've replaced 2 at the roadside with no problems ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.