Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power steering fail  (Read 2871 times)

Yogisean

• Oxford
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.2 CDX
    • View Profile
Power steering fail
« on: 12 October 2016, 11:53:51 »

Hello,

Firstly, I must say a belated thank you to all who helped on my previous post.

On Monday whilst parking my 2.2 CDX the power steering failed. The steering wheel will turn but only just. It is not drivable as you need some serious muscle to steer. The fluid is topped up and there were no warning signs or strange noises beforehand. Any ideas?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Power steering fail
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2016, 12:17:07 »

Is the auxiliary belt still intact?
Onanists always think outside the box.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2016, 19:17:54 »

Had the same issue with my TD, it was the power steering motor gone, fitted an exchange one, and all came good. :y

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2016, 22:01:02 »

Hello,

On Monday whilst parking my 2.2 CDX the power steering failed. The steering wheel will turn but only just. It is not drivable as you need some serious muscle to steer. The fluid is topped up and there were no warning signs or strange noises beforehand. Any ideas?
out of interest is it really completely undriveable, i.e. i imagine while stationary it will be very difficult but once you've got it moving can you still not steer? i'm trying to keep a list of show stopper faults.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2016, 22:11:47 »

Hello,

out of interest is it really completely undriveable, i.e. i imagine while stationary it will be very difficult but once you've got it moving can you still not steer? i'm trying to keep a list of show stopper faults.

I used to have an Astra G that, initially seemed to eat its 'fan belt' fairly regularly. It had a electro hydraulic system ie the electric driven pump powered the hydraulics, when the belt failed it was bloody hard work driving  it ..... you didn't want  to drive it very far with no power steering.

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 October 2016, 17:45:00 »

Lol I had this on my 2.5, I was driving to work and I heard a whipping sound thought nothing of it. When I arrived I saw a thick ish strand under the car, thinking it was a cable loose whatever I'll fix it after.

When I drove home the belt snapped and the steering when heavy, come to think about it thats probably what killed the battery whilt I struggled home
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 October 2016, 19:38:53 »

Hello,

No, it's driveable. I have towed Omegas with dead engines. Steering and brakes require more effort, but it is quite manageable. I have driven an Omega lacking its aux belt, and it was quite OK, except that without alternator or water pump I did not get too far.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 October 2016, 19:59:47 »

Lol I had this on my 2.5, I was driving to work and I heard a whipping sound thought nothing of it. When I arrived I saw a thick ish strand under the car, thinking it was a cable loose whatever I'll fix it after.

When I drove home the belt snapped and the steering when heavy, come to think about it thats probably what killed the battery whilt I struggled home
On a 2.5 Omega, you were lucky not to shag the engine
Grumpy old man

RolandL

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • M/facelift 2.5 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 October 2016, 11:36:29 »

I had a power steering fail on mine a few months ago.  Couldn't figure out why, until i noticed some other electrics had failed as well.  Turned out to be a fuse.  iirc it was a 30amp one.
The faster you go the bigger the grin.  Trade card user.

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 October 2016, 10:02:35 »

I had a power steering fail on mine a few months ago.  Couldn't figure out why, until i noticed some other electrics had failed as well.  Turned out to be a fuse.  iirc it was a 30amp one.
  thats what happened to me on 2.5td. the local dealer didnt find the problem nor did another workshop. thinking i had a pump problem i rang a company that sold recon units & the guy asked me if i had power at the cig lighter. i replied no as my phone needed charging. thats a fuse issue he said, surely vauxhall
should have picked up on it. the car was only 4yrs old at the time.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 October 2016, 12:34:31 »

thats what happened to me on 2.5td. the local dealer didnt find the problem nor did another workshop. thinking i had a pump problem i rang a company that sold recon units & the guy asked me if i had power at the cig lighter. i replied no as my phone needed charging. thats a fuse issue he said, surely vauxhall
should have picked up on it. the car was only 4yrs old at the time.
The servotronic set up is indeed fused :y

Trouble is, for this exercise, the OPs car is a 2.2 which doesn't have servotronic steering, ergo no fuse and a good old fashioned mechanical problem ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.