Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Wnat to buy an Omega B1 or B2. But undecided between 3.0 or 3.2  (Read 13884 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Wnat to buy an Omega B1 or B2. But undecided between 3.0 or 3.2
« Reply #15 on: 13 October 2016, 15:57:51 »

Because the Opel Omega seems to be readily available in manual. At least this is the impression I get while looking at local classifieds here.

In the UK, as said above, 3.0 were by default auto unless you ordered a manual. 3.2 manual were only available to the police and not to Joe Public ..... Euroland might have been different  :-\

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 October 2016, 16:15:57 »

Very glad they're more commonplace there, then. If it makes your search easier then all the better  :)

I know that to British eyes, there's still lots of saloon cars seen in mainland Europe. Of course to European eyes, we must look very odd for our complete lack of interest in saloon cars, favouring hatchbacks for anything A-B or C-segment.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 October 2016, 16:23:11 »

What do you mean with a manual conversion? Omegas are readily available with a manual transmission. Unless I'm wrong? So I would be buying a manual already.
Well that will limit you to the 3.0 then as the 3.2 only ever came with an Auto in Retail, unless you can find a decent Ex Police 3.2 Manual, as they had the added benefit of an R30 Manual Box which is good for Added HP and would probably also come with the correct Diff Ratio to suit and in LSD form. Rare find these days, well one thats not been totally ragged anyway.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 October 2016, 16:23:56 »

It seems it was indeed different. Autos are still more common among the bigger engine cars. But manuals are not an unicorn.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 October 2016, 16:50:23 »

Living in Euroland, you might have access to other GfM products...

Before dismissing the VXR8, have a rummage for a Pontiac G8 GT :y essentially the same car...
Onanists always think outside the box.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 October 2016, 17:02:25 »

Yes, they are the same car. But very rare here among with the GTO. And if you find one, the seller thinks he has a Bentley in his hands.  ;D

Not worth it in my opinion.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 October 2016, 18:27:24 »

You need to be very careful of how the power increases from the various mix and match parts are 'calculated.' It is much more of an optimistic guess. This sort of thing has long  been a pub game of I fitted a different air filter which MUST be worth 10hp, a new exhaust another 20hp, and some 'special spark plugs' have got to be another five. Added at the same time that's easily a 45hp increase. In reality, old engines like BL's A-series, Rover V8 or Ford's crossflow were so crap that it was difficult not to improve it. This isn't the case with a modern engine. Even small gains cost a packet. That's proved by your 300hp C20XE example: list what's required to make that sort of power, and add up what it costs. That came from several years intensive development for motorsport, something that the V6 hasn't had. Tuning parts are available, including cams and  throttle body inlet manifolds, and I reckon that with some properly developed cylinder heads(horrendously costly process that requires more than just sticking your finger down a port and 5 minutes with a Dremel)you could break 300hp without too much trouble. But you will spend a huge amount of money doing it.

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 October 2016, 20:08:28 »

It seems it was indeed different. Autos are still more common among the bigger engine cars. But manuals are not an unicorn.

I'd agree with that.... keeping an eye out in the marketplace I'd say the proportion is roughly 85% / 15%. Seems to be more 2.2 manuals than the bigger engines, and noticed a high proportion of big engined manuals in Ireland & N.I. Just what I've noticed myself, but could be looking in the wrong places  :-[
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 October 2016, 21:56:27 »

OK. It seems I stand corrected.  :(

Doing some more research, it looks like Opel also only sold the 3.2 with an auto box, like Vauxhall did. Pity.

Since the 3.0 is quite common with a manual and I also saw one 3.2 manual for sale, I thought the 3.2 also came in manual. But it looks like the one 3.2 manual I saw online for sale was probably a conversion.

But the 3.0 manual is indeed way more available than back in the UK. I think the reason is in continental Europe most people like manual cars.

Now the question is, is the 3.2 better than the 3.0? Because it only makes 7hp more. But the 3.0 is easier to tune up it seems.

So is the 3.2 better, and that much better than the 3.0 to warrant buying one and doing a manual conversion rather than just buying a manual 3.0?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 October 2016, 22:52:04 »

How about ex police Opel 3.2 manuals?

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 October 2016, 23:45:02 »

Not even sure the police here ever used them. I don't think so. Regardless it will be very difficult to find if they did use them. I have never seen them for sale.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 October 2016, 02:26:13 »

Not even sure the police here ever used them. I don't think so. Regardless it will be very difficult to find if they did use them. I have never seen them for sale.
Swiss, Austrians and Germans all did :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 October 2016, 09:51:11 »

Doing some more research, it looks like Opel also only sold the 3.2 with an auto box, like Vauxhall did. Pity.

Since the 3.0 is quite common with a manual and I also saw one 3.2 manual for sale, I thought the 3.2 also came in manual. But it looks like the one 3.2 manual I saw online for sale was probably a conversion.

But the 3.0 manual is indeed way more available than back in the UK. I think the reason is in continental Europe most people like manual cars.

Now the question is, is the 3.2 better than the 3.0? Because it only makes 7hp more. But the 3.0 is easier to tune up it seems.

So is the 3.2 better, and that much better than the 3.0 to warrant buying one and doing a manual conversion rather than just buying a manual 3.0?

There's a chap on here with a good deal of knowledge of this question - which is the 'best engine' the answer is - several.

MarksDTM suggestion is the 'ultimate' Vauxhall/Opel V6 is

"So.....from the stock GM parts bin.

3.2 inlet with injectors or fit 3.0 and the FPR from a 2.6/3.2 (slight increased rail pressure, worth having as it costs nothing)
3.2/3.0 inlet divider plate
2.5/2.6 heads which must be ported to match the inlet divider (2.5/2.6 heads have smaller ports than the 3.0/3.2) and 3.0/3.2 exhaust valves (sodium filled)
3.0 cams
3.2 bottom end
2.6/3.2 exhaust manifolds
2.5/3.0 front pipes and cats
3.0 electronics including DIS pack ecu etc with EGR blanked/removed and SAI removed

This gives the better injection setup (3.0), largest cc (3.2 which includes forged crank) with compression ratio restored (2.5/2.6 heads have a smaller combustion chamber), best flowing inlet and exhaust setup."

If you're really after making the best of the best, this is the way. As for just buying either a 3.0 or a 3.2, then it's apples and oranges, horses for courses. (sorry if they're meaningless English phrases, what I mean is there's advocates and reasons to own either)  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14 October 2016, 14:45:24 »

3.2 all day long...

1. It's newer, so the car it is attached to will be less rusty.
2. It has less emissions plumbing.
3. It has a forged crank, which makes it the preferred choice for tuning as it's less likely to snap.
4. Last but not least, 3.2 sounds better than 2.5.

:y

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14 October 2016, 16:34:34 »

There's a chap on here with a good deal of knowledge of this question - which is the 'best engine' the answer is - several.

MarksDTM suggestion is the 'ultimate' Vauxhall/Opel V6 is

"So.....from the stock GM parts bin.

3.2 inlet with injectors or fit 3.0 and the FPR from a 2.6/3.2 (slight increased rail pressure, worth having as it costs nothing)
3.2/3.0 inlet divider plate
2.5/2.6 heads which must be ported to match the inlet divider (2.5/2.6 heads have smaller ports than the 3.0/3.2) and 3.0/3.2 exhaust valves (sodium filled)
3.0 cams
3.2 bottom end
2.6/3.2 exhaust manifolds
2.5/3.0 front pipes and cats
3.0 electronics including DIS pack ecu etc with EGR blanked/removed and SAI removed

This gives the better injection setup (3.0), largest cc (3.2 which includes forged crank) with compression ratio restored (2.5/2.6 heads have a smaller combustion chamber), best flowing inlet and exhaust setup."

If you're really after making the best of the best, this is the way. As for just buying either a 3.0 or a 3.2, then it's apples and oranges, horses for courses. (sorry if they're meaningless English phrases, what I mean is there's advocates and reasons to own either)  :)

At first glance what you recommend looks similar to what I posted from the Cadillac Catera forums to tune that engine, which is the same V6. Did you see that list I posted?

How much power gain would you think your recommendations would provide?

Thanks for taking the time to write them in so much detail. :y
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.