Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Wnat to buy an Omega B1 or B2. But undecided between 3.0 or 3.2  (Read 13882 times)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
Re: Wnat to buy an Omega B1 or B2. But undecided between 3.0 or 3.2
« Reply #45 on: 16 October 2016, 22:10:22 »

What you overlook is that the stock 2.5 DTi produces as much torque as the 3.2 ;)

But the stock 2.5 DTi is listed as outputting 148bhp and the 3.2 is listed as outputting 215bhp.  ???
Torque is the same though...

Yeah, sure. Same torque and much less bhp. I'm not seeing the advantage. What am I missing? Thanks.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Onanists always think outside the box.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 16 October 2016, 23:17:44 »

Ahh torquists. They're the ones who start going backwards just off the traffic lights as they grab the next gear.. while I'm still about 2k from the red line. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 16 October 2016, 23:33:05 »

https://www.quora.com/What-does-torque-do-in-a-car :y

Well, I know what torque is. :)

But I still don't see your point. The 2.5 has the same torque and less bhp. If it had more torque, OK I could at least see some advantage. But it has less bhp and the same torque. And it's a diesel. Why do you think it is more desirable than the 3.0? I don't see it.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 17 October 2016, 08:46:02 »

It has better tuning potential as it is already turbocharged. Also the later 3.0/3.5 straight 6 will bolt straight in. And they're commonly available with a manual box. Summat the Omega V6 tends to lack.

Tuning the 3.0/3.2 v6 is on a hiding to nothing... cost vs gains.

If outright performance for sensible cost is what you seek, then start with a 2.0/2.2. These can be turbocharged for peanuts and easily make more power, more reliably than any Omega v6 ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 17 October 2016, 10:42:05 »

How much power would you say remapping really adds?
Claims are around 10%. I'd suggest that's on the optimistic side, but the gain is noticeable, so must be getting towards that figure.

I would also be very interesting in what you think of the 2 sets of suggestions to enhance performance posted on this thread.
Personally, I'd go for 2. If you have a 3.0l, you only need a 3.2 engine with manifolds still attached to achieve. But not aware of anyone who tried it.  Darth Loo-knee did something not massively dissimilar with a 2.6 bottom end and I think a 3l top, fastest 2.6 I've ever driven...   ...and I was surprised he let me, as he always said I drove like a knob ;D
Grumpy old man

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 17 October 2016, 13:15:19 »

It has better tuning potential as it is already turbocharged. Also the later 3.0/3.5 straight 6 will bolt straight in. And they're commonly available with a manual box. Summat the Omega V6 tends to lack.

Tuning the 3.0/3.2 v6 is on a hiding to nothing... cost vs gains.

If outright performance for sensible cost is what you seek, then start with a 2.0/2.2. These can be turbocharged for peanuts and easily make more power, more reliably than any Omega v6 ;)

Now I'm starting to understand what you see in the 2.5 DTi.  :)

But as I mentioned at the beginning of the thread, I don't want turbo chargers or super chargers. I dislike turbos and super chargers. I don't like the way they behave or the sound they make. I want to keep it NA. So a turbo charged engine is not interesting to me at all. I also don't want diesel. So this is 2 strikes against the 2.5 DTi. It's a diesel and it's a turbo. It also disqualifies the 2.0 or 2.2. I don't want turbos.  ;)

The option of dropping the older straight 6 engine right in is an interesting one though. So is it really a straight bolt on? Nothing custom need to be made? And which later 3.5 straight 6 are you talking about? The Carlton/Omega-A only came with a 3.0. There were 3.6 ones by Lotus and Irmscher and also a 4.0 from Irmscher. And those were very special engines and very hard to find and very expensive. But I never knew of a 3.5.

Although I still don't see much advantage in dropping the 3.0 straight 6 in. The max. it ever produced was 201bhp and that is if I'm lucky enough to find an engine from the 3000GSi. The rest of them never produced more than 175bhp. The 3.0 V6 produces 208bhp stock. With a remapping it seems it would go up to around 228bhp. How much more can you tune the straight 6 to produce without a turbo or super charger? If it was capable of much more I would think Irmscher would have done it. Yet, the very, very special and tuned Irmscher Evo500 produced only 230bhp.

So what advantage are you seeing in the 3.0 straight 6 over the V6? To me it looks like I would have to spend money to buy a straight 6, then spend money to drop it in, then spend more money to get it up to what the V6 already gives me. Again, I may be missing something incredibly obvious, and if so please feel free to point it out.  :)

Thanks!

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 17 October 2016, 13:22:00 »

How much power would you say remapping really adds?
Claims are around 10%. I'd suggest that's on the optimistic side, but the gain is noticeable, so must be getting towards that figure.

10% doesn't sound bad for the price. So both your 3.0 and 3.2 are remapped?

I would also be very interesting in what you think of the 2 sets of suggestions to enhance performance posted on this thread.
Personally, I'd go for 2. If you have a 3.0l, you only need a 3.2 engine with manifolds still attached to achieve. But not aware of anyone who tried it.  Darth Loo-knee did something not massively dissimilar with a 2.6 bottom end and I think a 3l top, fastest 2.6 I've ever driven...   ...and I was surprised he let me, as he always said I drove like a knob ;D

Do you mean I should swap the 3.0 engine for a 3.2 or do you mean I should only install the 3.2 manifolds on the 3.0?

How much more power would you guess the changes suggested on set 1 and set 2 would produce?

Thanks.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 17 October 2016, 13:42:02 »

When I said bigger straight 6 I meant the diesel ;)

Thinking the 3.0/3.5 from the 530/535d :y

But if you don't want diesel or forced induction then all you can really do is try and make it breathe a bit better :-\

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 17 October 2016, 13:43:48 »

Forget the straight six C30SE engine, one of the guys on the ABS forum dropped one in a Monza and spent a bit of money on the engine and the best he got was 245bhp, add to the fact that timing chain guides are NLS as are the crank and cam sprockets and it can get very expensive.

If you want a faster four door saloon buy an M5, but if you really want an Omega then just accept there`s not a lot you can do to it and just enjoy it for the car it is  :y

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 17 October 2016, 13:49:07 »

When I said bigger straight 6 I meant the diesel ;)

Thinking the 3.0/3.5 from the 530/535d :y

But if you don't want diesel or forced induction then all you can really do is try and make it breathe a bit better :-\

Ok, I see. Yep, no diesels. Thanks.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 17 October 2016, 13:53:54 »

Forget the straight six C30SE engine, one of the guys on the ABS forum dropped one in a Monza and spent a bit of money on the engine and the best he got was 245bhp, add to the fact that timing chain guides are NLS as are the crank and cam sprockets and it can get very expensive.

If you want a faster four door saloon buy an M5, but if you really want an Omega then just accept there`s not a lot you can do to it and just enjoy it for the car it is  :y

I don't have the intention to turn the Omega into a sports car. Just trying to see if I can squeeze a bit more performance out of it as it's a heavy car and today any modern car is already crossing the 200bhp mark. If I could squeeze an extra 50bhp or even 40bhp I would already be happy. Not thinking of 300bhp +.  :)

What I want is a four door saloon with rear-wheel drive and a manual gearbox, which is not a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche or Japanese and which doesn't cost a lot.

So it seems the Omega is the only one.(?) And since I have always liked the way the look...

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 17 October 2016, 16:08:49 »

I don't have the intention to turn the Omega into a sports car. Just trying to see if I can squeeze a bit more performance out of it as it's a heavy car and today any modern car is already crossing the 200bhp mark. If I could squeeze an extra 50bhp or even 40bhp I would already be happy. Not thinking of 300bhp +.  :)

What I want is a four door saloon with rear-wheel drive and a manual gearbox, which is not a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche or Japanese and which doesn't cost a lot.

So it seems the Omega is the only one.(?) And since I have always liked the way the look...

Yeah not much else other than the omega after ruling all those out  ;D TBH though 40-50bhp would cost a lot of money and work and it`s not like there`s a back catalogue of tuning parts either.

I like the way they look too, especially in MV6 guise, they`re a nice looking car  8)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 17 October 2016, 16:45:39 »

Yeah not much else other than the omega after ruling all those out  ;D TBH though 40-50bhp would cost a lot of money and work and it`s not like there`s a back catalogue of tuning parts either.

I like the way they look too, especially in MV6 guise, they`re a nice looking car  8)

Yeah, the Omegas look much better than the other Germans cars. Although price wise it's not that much cheaper than a 5 series of the same year and spec.

So you think 40-50bhp will be expensive? If remapping gets me around 20bhp already and costs around 200 quid by what I could find, will the other 20-30bhp really be that expensive?

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 17 October 2016, 16:52:19 »

It has better tuning potential as it is already turbocharged. Also the later 3.0/3.5 straight 6 will bolt straight in.

OK. You got me a little intrigued, I must confess. Is it really a straight bolt on? And any of the BMW straight 6?

Because there is one of them with bloody 282bhp!  :o

Yes, diesel and twin turbo though. But 282bhp is a lot. If it's really a straight drop in and the engine doesn't cost an arm and a leg, it's quite tempting. But if it is really that easy and not expensive, people should do it all the time? Is this a popular swap for Omegas?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.