Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Wnat to buy an Omega B1 or B2. But undecided between 3.0 or 3.2  (Read 13886 times)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
Re: Wnat to buy an Omega B1 or B2. But undecided between 3.0 or 3.2
« Reply #75 on: 18 October 2016, 21:30:36 »

Just that the 'doughnut' bushes as they're called are made from Poly, so last longer than conventional rubber. They are firmer, therefore tighten up the rear end handling, too. (though the original rubber ones last about 150/200k miles anyway) some say they spoil the Omega smooth waftable ride, some say they improve things nicely, without being too harsh.

They're a direct-fit straight swap.  :)

Sounds interesting and like something I would like to try. Thanks for bringing it up.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 18 October 2016, 21:38:31 »

Just looking at what you mention - the wings aren't the same, if you look at the headlamps they're a different shape. From about half way along the wing length they're the about the same, though, as you say, same aesthetics, and various bits n bobs (rear subframe bushes, for instance) are the same, it's Pedders Monaro Poly bushes that many on here fit.

What are the advantages of the Monaro bushes?
They tighten up the rear subframe nicely for more spirited driving, and never wear out. Both improvements on the original items :y

Mr DBG is part correct... they fit well, but are slightly different dimensions.

Yep, I guess I will definitely have to try them. By the way chaps, are they readily available to purchase online?

This I know from days spent trawling through various parts catalogues trying to identify suitable upgrade parts for the Omega.

Well, do tell!  :)

What other upgrade parts for the Omega did you dig up?

Re the diesel idea, knowing what limitation there is to tuning the V6s, both in terms of cost and durability, the only viable petrol alternatives are the 4 cylinder forced induction route, or the old school 'stick a v8 in it' approach.

Swapping the diesel makes sense as the car is configured for it. Omega Bs left the factory with BMW 6 cylinder diesels fitted, so in theory, the engine should physically drop straight in. Wiring is a different issue, but not a deal breaker... simply some patient head scratching should see it running ;)

I see. If I could find the highest powered one for a good price I might go that route. Have you ever seen one for sale and for how much?

Now here's the critical part... IF BMW petrol straight sixes share the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the diesels, then with a bit more work the M54/S54 petrol lump could be viable...

The M54 is not worth it. The highest output is 228bhp. I can get basically that with a remapped V6 it seems. So it would have to be the S54 to make it worth the trouble. And again the question is the price of the engine, on top of how much trouble to do the job.

The diesel swap would obviously be more straight forward as the fuel is the same :y

Switching from diesel to petro will call for a whole lot more than just switching the engine right?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 18 October 2016, 22:45:40 »

Here do for subframe bushes...
http://www.monkfishperformance.co.uk/rear-end-pac--monaro-models-with-harrop-diff-cover_p23023672.htm :y

Nothing much else to report re the Monaro upgrades... Brakes have potential but wheel Pcd is different so custom discs required, which gets very expensive very quickly. Springs fit Omega saloon, but spring rates are well off as Monaro is a couple of hundred kgs lighter.

Higher output M57 from the 535d is probably the most straight forward approach...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-Series-X3-X5-X6-Diesel-Petrol-Engines-For-Sale-With-Warranty-/141924319043?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW%7CCars+Type%3A535d&hash=item210b593f43:g:5vAAAOSwh-1W30S5

Or this... http://www.copart.co.uk/uk/Lot/36756966?searchId=1246579797
Onanists always think outside the box.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 19 October 2016, 01:15:08 »

Thanks for the links.

I suspected the engine would be expensive. You can buy a reasonable Omega for that amount, right?

Then there will certainly be other purchases besides the engine before everything is said and done and the engine is inside and driveable, wouldn't you say?

All together it looks like in the end, after all is done, it will be a pretty expensive project. So after all the expense, will it still be cheaper than tuning the V6? The main problem in tuning the V6 seems to be mainly price right?

Nothing much else to report re the Monaro upgrades... Brakes have potential but wheel Pcd is different so custom discs required, which gets very expensive very quickly. Springs fit Omega saloon, but spring rates are well off as Monaro is a couple of hundred kgs lighter.

I didn't mean only from the Monaro. But any parts upgrades you may have found for the Omega which would improve the car. ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 19 October 2016, 19:43:33 »

Be aware that some of the more enthusiastic drivers here have had issues with the Monkfish rear doughnut bushes dislodging slightly, and needing to remove/refit.

As per usual, those who haven't experienced it clearly aren't trying hard enough.
Grumpy old man

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 20 October 2016, 12:07:08 »

Be aware that some of the more enthusiastic drivers here have had issues with the Monkfish rear doughnut bushes dislodging slightly, and needing to remove/refit.

As per usual, those who haven't experienced it clearly aren't trying hard enough.

So am I better off sticking to the stock ones then?

By the way, what about differential? The car was available with different options right? I think chasing differentials will make the purchase way too difficult but I guess it's not a big deal to change them?  Which one am I looking for if it doesn't come with it?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 20 October 2016, 16:43:42 »

Depends what you want to acheive...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 20 October 2016, 19:14:51 »

Personally, I prefer the handling of the poly ones, so that's what I use.

Every time it starts steering from the back, I get chrisgixer to refit them.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 20 October 2016, 20:05:26 »

Solidifying the rear diff mounts helps limit this requirement ime ;)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 24 October 2016, 14:24:15 »

What I would like to achieve is performance. Although I don't want a rough gokart ride.  I would like to have something aka to a M5. A sports saloon I guess is what they are called? So not soft luxury. But also not a neck braking ride. ;)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 24 October 2016, 14:25:41 »

Are the Poly ones you speak of the Holden ones?

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 24 October 2016, 16:09:38 »

They are, yes  :)

Mine offer no change to the handling whatsoever. I suspect because they're currently still in a box at my parents.  ;)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 24 October 2016, 18:34:37 »

What I would like to achieve is performance. Although I don't want a rough gokart ride.  I would like to have something aka to a M5. A sports saloon I guess is what they are called? So not soft luxury. But also not a neck braking ride. ;)
Get an M5. Nothing else will match that I'm afraid.
Grumpy old man

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 24 October 2016, 21:24:17 »

Get an M5. Nothing else will match that I'm afraid.

They cost too much. I'm also not a an of BMWs. I don't really expect to match it though. It's just the direction I'm going for. I thought I would let people know since many are asking what I want with my upgrades. ;)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 25 October 2016, 09:18:48 »

I suppose, in a nutshell, you want an Omega 'MV5'/'M5V6' or an AMGega, or an 'RSMV6' then. I suppose that's Eibach springs, Bilstein B6s, and the poly route mentioned already, whatever nice interior bits you like, be it leather Recaros etc. plus Irmscher/Steinmetz bodykits if you wanted. There's been plenty on here done one, or all of these, to good results.

As for the engine, well, one bloke put an engine from a Nissan Skyline, or something, a bit ago, for 400bhp, or something insane, and the chassis handled it, by all accounts. I don't really 'care' about Jap cars, but someone will be able to remember what car it was from/a link to the thread. Very interesting it was too, he did some very nice brake upgrades also.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.