Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3016023 times)

STEMO

Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #17760 on: 28 January 2019, 17:28:39 »

Just checked my oil level and it's quite high. Guess it must have a drop of diesel in it. I'll get it done this week.......or next

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17761 on: 28 January 2019, 17:31:53 »

Was it high last time you checked?

If its dumping that much diesel in the sump, you probably need to keep a close, daily eye on it.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #17762 on: 28 January 2019, 17:48:09 »

Was it high last time you checked?

If its dumping that much diesel in the sump, you probably need to keep a close, daily eye on it.
It's almost due it's annual service, another couple of months, I think. It has had a few aborted regens over the months, so I'll get it done sooner. It's about 1/4" over the full mark, no panic.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17763 on: 28 January 2019, 18:01:01 »

On a petrol, I generally take this at the point it changes from clear to treacle brown.

I've been doing 10k oil changes for years, and at that point the oil is still about the colour of honey. If it was dark or obviously dirty, I'd reduce the interval.

But these are all opinions based on crude evidence, if we were really serious about getting the best from our oil we'd be having each change analysed and tracking the results. But that's not the worth the expense when we can do a change for about £12.

As we've all mentioned, intervals this long are a very bad idea on diesels.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17764 on: 28 January 2019, 18:34:26 »

Plenty of rusty Omegas running around with engines that are still sweet as a nut after 200+k, so oil changes aren't the most critical thing, IMHO.

Then again, we've seen a few late Omegas die from a blocked oil strainer, so the factory 20k intervals were clearly optimistic. The truth lies somewhere in-between, probably around 10k. :y

Not another tractor with fuel in the sump! ::) Reminds me of my brother's PITA Volvo V50. At least that had the decency to do the honourable thing in the end, although it did apparently create something a bit stronger than the usual diseasel smoke screen in the Royston area in the process, apparently.. ;D

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17765 on: 28 January 2019, 20:21:17 »

New crank sensor fitted, (real one) and changed the oil n filter,,,, was 87miles over the 10k, I was worried as it was over the 10k, but I lived to tell the tale,..

Seems high mileage between changes, given the price of TC oil. :-\

It's still expensive when you change it unnecessarily. The 3-4k oil change suggested here is utterly pointless on a petrol engine, especially when using high quality(or even low quality) semi-synthetic oil. An annual 10k(ish) change makes perfect sense to me.
Thing is, I know that (as of about 7 or 8 years ago) no oil for car engines lasts more than 7k, and that degradation starts immediately.

So to me it makes absolute sense to change it around 5k as a decent compromise between (the negligible, on an Omega) cost and taking the oil to the point where its lubrication properties are diminished.

On a petrol, I generally take this at the point it changes from clear to treacle brown.

Obviously with tractors, 6k is ambitious for anything, not due to the oil degradation, but the abrasive particles trapped in the oil.

But it's everyones individual choice.

75k on our works tackle, and they use to be 100k until Volvo's started blowing compressors Europe wide so it got changed to 75k. Which is about once a year. Full fat 5w30 low saps.
Hoof'land storeman.

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17766 on: 28 January 2019, 20:39:33 »

Bought some oil, coolant, spark plugs ready so I can pop in the new radiator when it arrives. and the cam cover gaskets when the weather brightens up a bit.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17767 on: 29 January 2019, 20:57:22 »

Took the Battlebus to Little Oxford, dumped it and got the Chiltern Slug into Londonium.  Obviously it was late, but only by about 15mins, which generally counts as on time for the Slug.

Caught slug home. Obviously it was late, but only by 10m, so that probably counts as 5 mins early when it comes to the slug.

Wiped the snow off the Battlebus, drove it home.  No snow in Brackley town, but a nice dusting on Mount Brackley, making it look wintery.

As I drove past the rugby club, I see they are out training tonight.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #17768 on: 29 January 2019, 21:17:08 »

Took the Battlebus to Little Oxford, dumped it and got the Chiltern Slug into Londonium.  Obviously it was late, but only by about 15mins, which generally counts as on time for the Slug.

Caught slug home. Obviously it was late, but only by 10m, so that probably counts as 5 mins early when it comes to the slug.

Wiped the snow off the Battlebus, drove it home.  No snow in Brackley town, but a nice dusting on Mount Brackley, making it look wintery.

As I drove past the rugby club, I see they are out training tonight.
Your heroes  ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17769 on: 29 January 2019, 21:40:17 »

Enjoyed another bone rattling ride in a BMW M140i....

Until I'm totally forced to, I'm not touching 3.2 suspension now, it rides like silk compared to the BMW.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17770 on: 29 January 2019, 22:04:48 »

Enjoyed another bone rattling ride in a BMW M140i....

Until I'm totally forced to, I'm not touching 3.2 suspension now, it rides like silk compared to the BMW.

It would ride even better with new shocks and springs. New springs to the front of mine made it ride over bumps, rather than just flopping about and making the bump stops do the work.

I'm with you on the BMW though; I wonder why they bother with the expense of shocks and springs, and don't just fit solid rods instead.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17771 on: 30 January 2019, 10:54:37 »

BMW's don't like the cold either, spent 10 mins trying to open fuel filler cap this morning. Frozen solid.

Nearly had to go back for my car.....

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #17772 on: 30 January 2019, 10:59:03 »

BMW's don't like the cold either, spent 10 mins trying to open fuel filler cap this morning. Frozen solid.

That's pretty woeful, its not even particularly cold - in the grand scheme of things  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17773 on: 30 January 2019, 11:17:30 »

That's pretty woeful, its not even particularly cold - in the grand scheme of things  ::)
Why ???

It was raining all evening yesterday, then it snowed and then temperature dropped below freezing...

Any moisture inside the unsealed flap would freely condense onto any surface and promptly freeze.

And I thought you were bright...  ::)

No different to doors freezing onto saturated/wet frame seals, which incidentally are air tightish not water tight... And given that they're designed to be opened with a sub 10lb pull, no wonder that people break everything trying to rip the doors open with one foot on the adjacent panel ::)
« Last Edit: 30 January 2019, 11:21:00 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17774 on: 30 January 2019, 11:22:05 »

But don't let me stop a bit of BMW* bashing...

*insert manufacturer of choice here  ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.