Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeping the Omega  (Read 4360 times)

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
Keeping the Omega
« on: 11 July 2006, 22:20:25 »

I would to say once again how glad I am to see the old names that were on VxOn!!

Well, some of you may know that I have a Cavalier CDX along with an Omega CDX.  The Cavalier I have had for 9 years and cannot bear to part with it.  It is very tidy so will be keeping as my daily vehicle (in addition to my Transit van which is used when it rains as do not like getting my cars wet!! ;D)

Right, on to the Omega.  This I purchased in December last year for the sum of £1500.  It is a 2.5 CDX, with Electric Pack and Leather so is virtually an Elite bar things like the boot spoiler, rear blind, rear door pockets etc.  As the fuel economy was not good (and I felt guilty about the Cav) I took it off the road with the intention of selling.  About a month past with no progress on selling (I lead a VERY busy life) and I reinsured it for 2 weeks in order to change the oil and clean it for sale.  It went on ebay with a reserve of £1000 but did not sell - the highest bid was £800.  Decided not to sell and try again later.  

Another month went past and I have now decided to keep both cars.  An insurance certificate arrived today so the following jobs are required:

1.   Tax - currently it is SORN so I hope all will be well at the Post Office tomorrow
2.   Timing Belt, Tensioners and Water Pump to be changed - in all probability by the Vaux garage up the road.  I have done the belts on the transit vans that I look after but this business of locking / timing kits worries me somewhat.  I know what most of you think about Vaux garages, but I have my Cav services there and have never had any issues.  They quoted £371 for this.
3.   Breather Clean - making use of the excellent How To
(****EDIT**** submitted post prior to finishing!)
4.   Through Valet inside and out including leater treatment
5.   Replace the standard ICE
6.   Have the A/C Condensor replaced
7.   Replace rear doors as they have the usual rusting issue - anyone know of a good scrap yard to obtain doors?
8.   Deal with badly touched in scab on the leading edge of the bonnet
9.   New tyre to replace punctured item - builders screws >:(

Basically, it is a sound car and everything (apart from the A/C and a tempremental standard fit Autochanger) works - incuding the heated seats!  It is a March 1998 car which I believe is a "minifacelift" can anyone confirm?

Sorry for the length of the post - a few tasks to be carried out but I hope to return this car to a high standard.

Will keep you updated although progress will be slow.
« Last Edit: 11 July 2006, 22:27:02 by x25xe »
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Martin_1962

Re: Keeping the Omega
« Reply #1 on: 11 July 2006, 22:31:19 »

Good breakers - there are many but I have used Twigworth breakers a lot in the past.

Condenser - get one from Ebay - just make sure it is correct pattern

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2006, 22:31:25 »

Sounds like it will keep you busy :)

Remember, we have some excellent people here if you need any advice :)
Grumpy old man

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #3 on: 11 July 2006, 22:36:15 »

and as well as some excellent people, they have also written some equally excellent how to`s - may be something in there to assist you ;)
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 July 2006, 22:46:56 »

Thanks for all that - it is knowing that this kind of help and support is available that assisted me in the decision to keep it!

Yes, there is a fair amount of work but I reckon it should be complete (or nearly) in a few months time.

Will look at e-bay for the condensor - had also thought about autovaux as I would like to change the receiver/dryer at the same time.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 July 2006, 22:56:49 »

There is a user here, tunnie, that is in process of changing condensor/dryer - you may want to contact him...
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #6 on: 11 July 2006, 22:58:28 »

If the dryer is the canister quite often they come with it failing that I have one I bought but didn't need for £20

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #7 on: 11 July 2006, 23:00:49 »

We will all help wherever we can. There are many wise ones here and if they or even I can help, we will. Just shout!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2006, 09:10:50 »

'Mixandfix' on ebay is doing condensers with receiver dryer, vat and delivery for 165 quid at the  mo....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.