Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: As i managed to kill the Desmond...  (Read 4738 times)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Re: As i managed to kill the Desmond...
« Reply #30 on: 18 December 2018, 09:27:25 »

Lets really get you started,  ;D Thoughts on C class Mercs as well. Thinking of mid noughties and 2litre engines, auto box,. Ta  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18 December 2018, 09:38:51 »

Check MoT history for corrosion issues... Once they get going, they dissolve quicker than salts in a hot bath. Service history is important... A neglected car will cost in repairs. Mileage isn't a problem provided the car has been properly looked after... Plenty of choice, most petrol are 1.8 Kompressors, V6 is a better used choice as they tend to be better equipped. Service parts are on a par with the Omega.  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18 December 2018, 17:08:00 »

Lets really get you started,  ;D Thoughts on C class Mercs as well. Thinking of mid noughties and 2litre engines, auto box,. Ta  :y
Don't even go there.  They are poorly built, poorly designed (that's been overly kind), and used substandard materials.
Grumpy old man

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18 December 2018, 17:36:13 »

Don't even go there.  They are poorly built, poorly designed (that's been overly kind), and used substandard materials.

My 16 year old CLK is squeak and rattle free which is surprising if they are so poorly built(its rust free too ::))
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 18 December 2018, 19:26:25 »

The German built stuff should last better than the ones built in South Africa, Brazil, or worse, India.

Whilst it's still a bit tatty around the edges, I can't grumble about the A Class, sure some items are an absolute bastid to get at, but that's a side effect of packaging.

I did consider a very tidy L reg C220 to replace it if it had failed the MoT, although the later C Class is a better looking car, especially in metallic burgundy or dark blue 8)

As said, plenty of choice, so if you fancy one, shop around... Nice cars aren't significantly more expensive than the rough ones. Also, old enough to have a decent choice of petrol engines ;)

You could always buy a rough one with some MoT left to see how you get on with it (obviously allowing for the state of it), and then seek out a nice one as a long term prospect.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 18 December 2018, 21:30:04 »

I did consider a very tidy L reg C220 to replace it if it had failed the MoT, although the later C Class is a better looking car, especially in metallic burgundy or dark blue 8)

My old C250 TD estate was great.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

aaronjb

« Reply #36 on: 19 December 2018, 08:54:56 »

The German built stuff should last better than the ones built in South Africa, Brazil, or worse, India.

Whilst it's still a bit tatty around the edges, I can't grumble about the A Class, sure some items are an absolute bastid to get at, but that's a side effect of packaging.

As said, plenty of choice, so if you fancy one, shop around... Nice cars aren't significantly more expensive than the rough ones. Also, old enough to have a decent choice of petrol engines ;)

You could always buy a rough one with some MoT left to see how you get on with it (obviously allowing for the state of it), and then seek out a nice one as a long term prospect.

I drive past this every day, Al, and think of you: http://www.albertabbottmotors.com/pages/advert.php?id=743

OK, it's not as nice as the similar vintage W126 a neighbour owns, or the R106 he also owns.. but I figure it would tickle your fancy.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 19 December 2018, 09:02:58 »

It's even in Taxi beige 8)

aaronjb

« Reply #38 on: 19 December 2018, 09:13:21 »

It's been there for .. maybe 12 months? I'm sure he'd take an offer, at this point...

[edit] Oh - the neighbour's W126 is also LPG converted.. if it ever comes up for sale, I made a mental note to let you know ;) ;D

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 19 December 2018, 09:36:31 »

It's been there for .. maybe 12 months? I'm sure he'd take an offer, at this point...

[edit] Oh - the neighbour's W126 is also LPG converted.. if it ever comes up for sale, I made a mental note to let you know ;) ;D

Nice car with the 3.0 lump,I look after a 2.6 and that goes well too :y
other rides 

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 20 December 2018, 16:50:04 »

My 16 year old CLK is squeak and rattle free which is surprising if they are so poorly built(its rust free too ::))
So you got the only good one made :P
Grumpy old man

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 21 December 2018, 14:16:12 »

So you got the only good one made :P

:P :P
other rides 
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.