Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is anyone watching Notre Dame....  (Read 5867 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone watching Notre Dame....
« Reply #45 on: 17 April 2019, 12:35:15 »

I have been listening to those who seem to know these things and they have stated the roof of this Cathedral was very dense, hence the rapid and intense fire that consumed it. They state that the roof consisted of timber from between 1,000 and 1,300 trees.

If they rebuild to the original design, which surely they must, they it will take a very long time indeed to source the suitable timber, cut and shape it to the exact sizes needed. Of course the whole Cathedral took 200 years to build, but with modern equipment and building techniques it should take not quite as long ::) ;)

Presumably oak as well?  ??? 

I don't want to see 1000-1300 mature oak trees that are busy sucking up CO2 chopped down to recreate an old church.  :P  So I propose that they use modern materials instead.  How about recycled plastic?  ???

I'm sure God would approve!  :)

How cool would a carbon fibre Cathedral be? 8)

Very cool!  :)

If they rebuild the roof with lightweight modern materials, they'll be able to get rid of all those flying buttress's that clutter up the outside.  That would really tidy the place up!  :)

France are big farmers of Oak trees, it may mean that Oak Furniture Land go broke due to lack of supply but hey, every cloud

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 17 April 2019, 14:21:56 »

I have been listening to those who seem to know these things and they have stated the roof of this Cathedral was very dense, hence the rapid and intense fire that consumed it. They state that the roof consisted of timber from between 1,000 and 1,300 trees.

If they rebuild to the original design, which surely they must, they it will take a very long time indeed to source the suitable timber, cut and shape it to the exact sizes needed. Of course the whole Cathedral took 200 years to build, but with modern equipment and building techniques it should take not quite as long ::) ;)

I don't want to see 1000-1300 mature oak trees that are busy sucking up CO2 chopped down to recreate an old church.  :P  So I propose that they use modern materials instead.  How about recycled plastic?  ???

Probably so Sir Tigger.

Remember, the famous 100 gun HMS Victory of Trafalgar fame took 6,000 mature oak and elm trees to build.  So 1,000-1,300 is not so many! :D :D ;)
And being old and irrelevant, perhaps we should donate it to the cause ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 17 April 2019, 14:27:55 »

Probably so Sir Tigger.

Remember, the famous 100 gun HMS Victory of Trafalgar fame took 6,000 mature oak and elm trees to build.  So 1,000-1,300 is not so many! :D :D ;)
And being old and irrelevant, perhaps we should donate it to the cause ::)

But that is the thing, the great Cathedral and to a lesser extent, HMS Victory, are NOT irrelevant but mean a great deal, culturally at least, to millions of people.

They will 'live' long after we have gone and are forgotten. ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 17 April 2019, 14:32:52 »

Your words, not mine. Make your mind up :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 17 April 2019, 14:36:28 »

Your words, not mine. Make your mind up :-X

So you have not yet worked out that we as organic, living, breathing humans usually become irrelevant after our deaths, but cultural symbols, like Cathedrals, famous historic warships, and monuments, along with all their physical like, can remain very relevant long into the future ::) ::) ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 17 April 2019, 16:48:26 »

We all - to a greater or lesser extent - make a difference of some sort by living our lives, which carries on - to a greater or lesser extent - after we are gone.
So, no we are never irrelevant. Inevitably some people are more relevant than others, but we are all relevant nonetheless.
The older we become, the more relevant we are due to life experience, but younger people often don't realise this and ignore older people.
That is their problem (or a problem of modern western culture) but doesn't mean older people are irrelevant.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #51 on: 17 April 2019, 16:53:38 »

We all - to a greater or lesser extent - make a difference of some sort by living our lives, which carries on - to a greater or lesser extent - after we are gone.
So, no we are never irrelevant. Inevitably some people are more relevant than others, but we are all relevant nonetheless.
The older we become, the more relevant we are due to life experience, but younger people often don't realise this and ignore older people.
That is their problem (or a problem of modern western culture) but doesn't mean older people are irrelevant.
There are some older people that are definitely best ignored, Albs.  ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 17 April 2019, 17:05:28 »

Well......the 'relevant' old  women on the checkout at the supermarket should all be sacked because of how slow and easily confused they are.......

Give me a young blonde with big tits anyday. :y

STEMO

« Reply #53 on: 17 April 2019, 17:09:28 »

Well......the 'relevant' old  women on the checkout at the supermarket should all be sacked because of how slow and easily confused they are.......

That's the ticket, Opti, you can't beat a simplistic outlook. Fook climate change and the like, gimme a whopping pair of wazoomas and I'm happy. You will live long.  :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 17 April 2019, 17:16:07 »

That's the ticket, Opti, you can't beat a simplistic outlook. Fook climate change and the like, gimme a whopping pair of wazoomas and I'm happy. You will live long.  :y

A nice smile from a pretty girl is enough to make my day. :y

A grimace from a toothless old crone telling me ' her feet are playing up again ' just doesn't have the same placebo effect. :-\

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 17 April 2019, 18:04:42 »

Yes, indeed our actual lives do have a significant effect. :y :y

But, do you know what your great, great, great, great Grandfather did, what his name was, and what he did?  Unless you have an ancestor like Winston Churchill, Nelson, Sir David Lloyd George, are mentioned in historical documents, etc, etc, or have paid money to carryout research, like the vast majority of people you do not know.  So in modern life, today, as you live, how relevant are those relatives to you?

That is what I meant.  Is that not true?  It is sad, but a fact, the world and life moves on regardless ;)

STEMO

« Reply #56 on: 17 April 2019, 18:09:35 »

The saddest fact is that there are those who refuse to accept death as a finality. They cling on to some strange notion of an afterlife. Poor, deluded fools.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 17 April 2019, 18:16:43 »

But, do you know what your great, great, great, great Grandfather did, what his name was, and what he did?  Unless you have an ancestor like Winston Churchill, Nelson, Sir David Lloyd George, are mentioned in historical documents, etc, etc, or have paid money to carryout research, like the vast majority of people you do not know.  So in modern life, today, as you live, how relevant are those relatives to you?

That is what I meant.  Is that not true?  It is sad, but a fact, the world and life moves on regardless ;)

According to my Dad, an ancestor of his was the Lord Chief Justice who ordered Charles 1st to be beheaded. Im not sure how true that is though.  ::)
I do know quite a bit about my ancestral line, due to the fact that swmbo insists on researching it.
However, my point is that each human being is as relevant as every other one, and those who think otherwise are the problem. We all make a difference. The world would be a slightly different place if you or I hadn't been born.
Altogether now "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars....."  ;D ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 17 April 2019, 18:30:12 »

According to my Dad, an ancestor of his was the Lord Chief Justice who ordered Charles 1st to be beheaded. Im not sure how true that is though.  ::)
I do know quite a bit about my ancestral line, due to the fact that swmbo insists on researching it.
However, my point is that each human being is as relevant as every other one, and those who think otherwise are the problem. We all make a difference. The world would be a slightly different place if you or I hadn't been born.
Altogether now "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars....."  ;D ;D

As I said, you ARE absolutely right, and the fact your wife is doing research into the ancestral line is great.  I have researched so far back but not as far as I should. My Great Uncle Frank was killed at Ypres in 1917, and his eldest sister, my lovely Great Aunt Kitty, certainly was badly affected personally by that loss.  My father lost his father, my grandfather in 1940 to a German bomb, and yes he was very relevant in my father's life and badly affected his personality.  But to my children, and my grandchildren those lives just do not feature no matter how I, and my historian youngest brother, try to remind them of family history.  To them my Great Uncle and my Grandfather are just a footnotes, being 'just' two of the millions killed due to war; just cannon fodder, with ALL that served in those wars, collectively, relevant as a memorial and argument against conflict.  But as individuals they are slipping back into the mists of time, which I certainly feel very sad about. :'( :'( ;)
« Last Edit: 17 April 2019, 18:33:04 by Lizzie Zoom »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.