Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cordless drill torque?  (Read 1967 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Cordless drill torque?
« on: 16 April 2019, 12:43:07 »

Do all cordless drills produce the same amount of torque/twist if they use the same battery?

I have a Makita 8390D which can struggle at times.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Cordless drill torque?
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2019, 12:51:00 »

It's mainly down to the motor although the battery might be the limiting factor as to how much current the motor can draw, and obviously defines how long it'll do it for.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2019, 12:57:03 »

It's mainly down to the motor although the battery might be the limiting factor as to how much current the motor can draw, and obviously defines how long it'll do it for.

I've just changed a shagged 1.2AH battery for a 3.0AH battery.

The drill seems to have the same amount of twist but the battery lasts far longer before a charge is required.

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2019, 13:02:41 »

The drill seems to have the same amount of twist but the battery lasts far longer before a charge is required.
It will be limited by the motor, which will draw the same amount of current no matter which size battery you use. If you want more twist, you need a higher voltage, but the motor in your drill will be rated at whatever it says on the drill.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2019, 13:12:00 »

It will be limited by the motor, which will draw the same amount of current no matter which size battery you use. If you want more twist, you need a higher voltage, but the motor in your drill will be rated at whatever it says on the drill.

I think my Makita is a DIY jobbie that does not produce much torque because the motor has chocolate components.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2019, 13:48:24 »

Voltage doesn't necessarily make any difference either. It's just the marketing criteria-du-jour for selling drills.  ::)

It's really the product of the current and the voltage that determines how powerful the drill is, and then you additional factors such as the motor speed and the gearing.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2019, 14:14:30 »

Voltage doesn't necessarily make any difference either. It's just the marketing criteria-du-jour for selling drills.  ::)

It's really the product of the current and the voltage that determines how powerful the drill is, and then you additional factors such as the motor speed and the gearing.

You tell him, Kevin.

These scousers know sweet f*ck all. :)

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2019, 18:19:46 »

It's weight that's most important. The heavier the drill, the further you can bash screws into the wall with it.
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 April 2019, 21:06:28 »

It's weight that's most important. The heavier the drill, the further you can bash screws into the wall with it.

Yep, but the more damage you can do when you have a sense of humour failure. ;D

My drill has an "adequate" battery, I find. It's a big grey oil cooled one that sits humming gently at the end of the road. ;)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 April 2019, 01:05:46 »

The more powerful drills tend to be brushless, so you do not get this voltage drop across the carbon brushes. The one I've just bought has a 90Nm max torque rating & a 3 speed all metal gearbox. It also has a very high number of hammer impacts which I found made drilling into bricks at the weekend much more like slicing through butter with much less pressure on the drill than is usually required. Like many things with technology small incremental improvements is constantly improving most products. :y

One of the tings I always found annoying with cheap drills apert from the plastic gearboxes is the poor quality of the chucks, especially when using small drills & both these impressed me on my old Dewalt drill, but the new one is even better with the precision chuck having a grippy carbide coating, how durable this will be, only time will tell. :y

Both the 18v 5.0ah batteries have 3 led charge indicators which is again an improvement over other cordless drills, I've had.

As Kevin has quite rightly said, using a 240v drill is generally going to provide more power, but the portability of cordless has its uses, especially in our inclement British climate with outdoor work.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 April 2019, 10:01:06 »

So a few facts, the V drop across a brush is bugger all, there will be more loss in the wiring and speed control device.

The main reason why brushless is now leading is cost and ease of manufacture plus a much better torque curve (power electronics are now very cheap and generally reliable)

Torque is a function of the current, more volt allows more current which can give more potential for torque....

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 April 2019, 10:17:15 »

Basic torque equation:-
T = BAIN, where B is the flux density (strength) of the magnet; A is the area of the motor's windings; I is the current and N is the number of turns in the motor's windings.
Because the resultant torque is multi-factorial, the answer to to original question is not a simple one, and motor-designing colleagues have spent their engineering lives trying to make a better product!

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 17 April 2019, 11:32:28 »

So a few facts, the V drop across a brush is bugger all, there will be more loss in the wiring and speed control device.

The main reason why brushless is now leading is cost and ease of manufacture plus a much better torque curve (power electronics are now very cheap and generally reliable)

Torque is a function of the current, more volt allows more current which can give more potential for torque....
That's what I said, until that Kevin fella butted in.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 April 2019, 12:21:51 »

That's what I said, until that Kevin fella butted in.

Yep, the motor calcs are a derivative of F=BIL.

Another plus for brushless motors is that because the windings are in the stator and the magnets on the rotor, you can make them bigger easily so again....more torque!

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 April 2019, 17:18:57 »

You tell him, Kevin.

These scousers know sweet f*ck all. :)
What Stemo said is pretty much correct.

If youve replaced the Battery to a higher Drain Rate and the Drill is working the same but just lasts longer on the new Battery then that is what to expect and the Drill is doing its thing.

However is the Drill is knackered, then expect the same, same knackered performance as before just last longer on the new Battery.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.