Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Annonymous poll on running costs of site  (Read 10293 times)

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Annonymous poll on running costs of site
« Reply #15 on: 26 July 2006, 08:49:45 »

We can't give you an exact figure right now guys.

We have discovered that cheapest is not always a good idea! :-[

We won't be asking for any donations for a little while anyway, as we want to have a trial period with any new host before commiting to a longer contract and we will absorb the costs in any trial period.

In the meantime, many thanks for all the offers, it is much appreciated. :)

The Administrator.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 July 2006, 09:25:59 »

We can't give you an exact figure right now guys.

We have discovered that cheapest is not always a good idea! :-[

We won't be asking for any donations for a little while anyway, as we want to have a trial period with any new host before commiting to a longer contract and we will absorb the costs in any trial period.

In the meantime, many thanks for all the offers, it is much appreciated. :)

Keep us informed, we don't want you guys out of pocket.
I like red cars

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #17 on: 26 July 2006, 09:56:16 »

No, as Laidback has said we are not looking for anything at the moment. It just helps us to plan ahead if we know what is what etc. As you may or may not be aware we had some problems last week and have now relocated our servers to a different company. Until we see how that goes for a few weeks we won't know what we are thinking of for certain, bt the feedback is most useful and very encouraging.

Thanks again for all your support, it doesn't go un-noticed.

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 July 2006, 10:07:08 »

I know you guys aren't looking for money at the moment, but the amount of effort put into this site so far and the time spent helping people out just can't have a value put on it.

Please set-up a paypal account so that people who would like to can make a voluntary contribution.

I for one would like to buy you guys a beer!!

Cheers
Merv

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 July 2006, 10:26:45 »

I think I've had to much Stella this week  :-[

Thanks for the support guys, it is really appreciated...
Grumpy old man

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #20 on: 26 July 2006, 10:28:24 »

Thanks for all the opinions and votes so far. this is part of what makes a site great, the pople that really use it and vaue it. IF, and I do stress IF we went ahead with a 'donation' type situation it would be done through PayPal most likely, so there wouldbe very little in the way of loss.

In view of the feedback so far, perhaps an open donation may be the way to go. People could then donate whatever they wished. I was also thinking that if enough people did so and there was any surplus, we could perhaps purchase tools that would belong to all members for free loan whenever needed.

All just thoughts at this early stage and once again I don't want anyone to feel they have to do anything, all just open to opinion which we value very highly on this forum.

just a thought - paypal will take a fair whack bottom end Ronnie

Maybe a bank account could be set up - if no one wants to use there own -  and we can all bank transfer it in -theres no charges that way

I think paypal takes about 20p in the first £1 and about 55p for a £10

if we have 30 members paying a tenner ( as an example) its nearly £20lost.....

just a thought, nothing more  ;) as a scotsman you know how tight i am!!!

« Last Edit: 26 July 2006, 10:29:04 by Markiec »
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 July 2006, 10:36:14 »

I'd be happy to pay more!  ;)
If I have to explain you won't understand!

Martin_1962

« Reply #22 on: 26 July 2006, 10:43:29 »

OK is this site running on a server rented space or is it a Jaime supplied server?

THis will be of interest to the more techy elements here

STMO123

« Reply #23 on: 26 July 2006, 11:39:10 »

I think you should pay according to the amount of posts you've made(whadyasay, Marks..and Martin..andSalty?) :P
« Last Edit: 26 July 2006, 11:44:56 by STMO123 »

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 July 2006, 11:49:56 »

I think I've had to much Stella this week  :-[

Thanks for the support guys, it is really appreciated...

can never have too much stella Jamie!!  :o
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

STMO123

« Reply #25 on: 26 July 2006, 11:54:41 »

I think you should pay according to the amount of posts you've made(whadyasay, Marks..and Martin..andSalty?) :P

183 Mark. this could work out expensive ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 July 2006, 12:18:20 »

OK is this site running on a server rented space or is it a Jaime supplied server?

This will be of interest to the more techy elements here
It was running on a shared host with a hosting company, until they pulled the plug on us Monday morning  >:( (that was the cause of Monday's downtime - they were slow in allowing us access to our content to deploy it on the current server).  However, we were not satisfied with the performance of it anyway, and they seemed incapable of fixing the performance issues with their servers.

It is, as noticed by anyone who looked into it running on the reference platform that I had set up, at the wrong end of a DSL link (hence me wanting to know what performance is like - fantastic here, as I have a gigabit connection to it :D).

Obviously, we cannot run a site like this on a DSL line, so we are working hard looking for a new, more reliable host.

For those that are interested, it is a virtual machine (using VMWare) running on a W2k3 server. The VM guest is a RedHat EL 4.2, 128Mb RAM running Apache as the webserver.  The DSL line is provided by Zen Internet.
Grumpy old man

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 July 2006, 12:25:06 »

183 Mark. this could work out expensive ;)

um, er, searches for WIVES credit card...

Martin_1962

« Reply #28 on: 26 July 2006, 12:25:51 »

This will be of interest to the more techy elements here
It was running on a shared host with a hosting company, until they pulled the plug on us Monday morning  >:( (that was the cause of Monday's downtime - they were slow in allowing us access to our content to deploy it on the current server).  However, we were not satisfied with the performance of it anyway, and they seemed incapable of fixing the performance issues with their servers.

It is, as noticed by anyone who looked into it running on the reference platform that I had set up, at the wrong end of a DSL link (hence me wanting to know what performance is like - fantastic here, as I have a gigabit connection to it :D).

Obviously, we cannot run a site like this on a DSL line, so we are working hard looking for a new, more reliable host.

For those that are interested, it is a virtual machine (using VMWare) running on a W2k3 server. The VM guest is a RedHat EL 4.2, 128Mb RAM running Apache as the webserver.  The DSL line is provided by Zen Internet.

That all makes sense!

archermk

• Roundabout City, Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 26 July 2006, 13:05:19 »

I think most of us enjoy using this forum and find great value in the techy stuff. You can't ask a Haynes manual to explain tself, and you will be lucky to find a Vx workshop manager who is prepared to do so. Here, answers are free, quick, good humoured and generally right-first-time.

I would have no problem with a membership contribution. A voluntary system is fine, but I would suggest that a "guide" amount be specified with a view to covering the running costs.

J
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.