Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Timing belt issue  (Read 2928 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Timing belt issue
« Reply #15 on: 07 April 2020, 12:16:53 »

If the belt is the same and you have the crank and cams locked correctly, and the belt won't fit then you must have one or more of the tensioners misaligned. That could be because you've turned them to the wrong part of the eccentric - this is probably what made the belt slip when you turned the engine through - or that you're mixing the different backing plates/adjustable/non-adjustable tensioners.

Layout everything you took off, and compare to what you have now.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 April 2020, 14:18:19 »

MY '97 onwards the tensioner roller was modified. The later type has a deeper outer flange. If you try and install the belt anti-clockwise on one of these then there probably won't be enough slack to get a new belt onto the tensioner. This is probably made worse if you haven't fully backed off the upper and lower eccentrics and worse again if you are using a fixed (ie non-eccentric) bottom roller.

Hence the GM mounting procedure for the belt changed to clockwise installation. IE. Crankshaft -> Tensioner roller > Cam1 --> Cam2 --> Upper idler --> Cam3 --> Cam4 --> Lower idler - Crankshaft. Since the newer tensioner design was a retrofit I would have thought that there are no cars left with the old design. Your car would have the new type. What make and part number is your kit?

Back-off the upper and lower eccentrics, as per Nick W above, and install the belt clockwise.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 April 2020, 14:48:44 »

You naively assume that all the dealers changed the pulleys  ;D

They didn't, hence the halving of the interval on anything with this engine ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 April 2020, 15:02:54 »

You naively assume that all the dealers changed the pulleys  ;D

They didn't, hence the halving of the interval on anything with this engine ;)
Irrelevant. My comments are related to comparing old and new parts.

What matters now is what kit he is actually trying to install? Unless it's very old stock, it will have a new type tensioner and the belt needs to installed clockwise.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2020, 15:14:04 by Enceladus »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 April 2020, 18:59:58 »

On a 6 cylinder engine, 60 degrees off TDC (before or after) is the position when all pistons are halfway down the cylinders, thus "safe".

So Doctor Gollums suggestion is sound. Get the pistons "safe", then get the cams 1 and 2 in the right place (2nd set of hands might be useful, and a 2nd T45 tool), get the lock in place, then repeat for cams 3 and 4.  Then get crank back to where it was to TDC.  Then refit belt.
Grumpy old man

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 April 2020, 19:43:41 »

On a 6 cylinder engine, 60 degrees off TDC (before or after) is the position when all pistons are halfway down the cylinders, thus "safe".

So Doctor Gollums suggestion is sound. Get the pistons "safe", then get the cams 1 and 2 in the right place (2nd set of hands might be useful, and a 2nd T45 tool), get the lock in place, then repeat for cams 3 and 4.  Then get crank back to where it was to TDC.  Then refit belt.

^^^^^^^ :y :y
Hoof'land storeman.

dave.h

• Cumbria
    • 2.2 CDX auto/C220 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 April 2020, 12:37:44 »

Well, thanks to everyone's help I managed to get it all sorted out yesterday.

I had one of the idle rollers mis set as was suggested.

After I got everything realigned I fed the belt back on clockwise and made sure it was a good tight fit into the teeth as I went.  Then I removed the passenger side roller, set it at it's lowest position and boom, belt on.

Set the tension, then sorted the timing out after a rotation and managed to get everything exactly aligned on the gauge.

Car now running like a swiss watch thanks to those that commented on this post - thank yo very much to you all.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to go on that counts
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.