Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: rules on being able to sell car  (Read 6896 times)

greatdane

• York
    • Omega Elite Estate
    • View Profile
rules on being able to sell car
« on: 09 January 2017, 11:17:45 »

I am a newbie who has been a member for over a year since I purchased an Omega Elite Estate.  It has now failed its MOT and I am going to have to scrap it due to the ruling that I cannot advertise my vehicle for sale since I have not posted more than 250 posts.  I do understand the reason for this rule but feel it is rather excessive.  Someone out there would have been able to give her a good home and do the work necessary welding work to get her through and end up with a beautiful car with lots of extras.
 >:( :(

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: rules on being able to sell car
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2017, 12:01:58 »

What's it failed on so drastically that you feel the need to scrap it?

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2017, 13:14:18 »

The Rules are the Rules unfortunately, and the reasons behind them have been discussed numerous times.

In all fairness youve been a member for 15 months and have a post count of 4, ample time too rack up the min of 250 thats required.  :-\

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2017, 19:44:51 »

Didn,t want to get involved until shite hit the fan? ;D

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2017, 21:24:54 »

15 Months in Omega Ownership and not needed any help?  Jesus - You must be good!  :D :D

Seriously though - There are genuine, and VERY obvious reasons why selling a car on this forum is only available to the more active members (lets be fair, 250 posts is not a large amount).

Don't feel disheartened..... Stick it up on eBay, we see all those too!  :y
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2017, 22:37:00 »

The chances of selling an omega on this forum are very slight. Have a trawl through the for sale section.

greatdane

• York
    • Omega Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 January 2017, 08:55:39 »

Surely it shows just how good the car is.  I checked out the site daily but, with Parkinsons, I am unable to type these days so have to enlist the help of my long suffering wife.  She has housework to do and can't give her time fully to my online needs!

GrahamT

• Rhyl
    • Omega/Calibra/Manta
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2017, 12:55:28 »

15 Months in Omega Ownership and not needed any help?  Jesus - You must be good!  :D :D

Seriously though - There are genuine, and VERY obvious reasons why selling a car on this forum is only available to the more active members (lets be fair, 250 posts is not a large amount).

Don't feel disheartened..... Stick it up on eBay, we see all those too!  :y

I'm curious to why 250 posts makes you a safe seller? and for those of us who prefer to read rather than post a comment on everything 250 posts is a lot.

Thanks

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2017, 13:29:52 »

I'm curious to why 250 posts makes you a safe seller? and for those of us who prefer to read rather than post a comment on everything 250 posts is a lot.

Thanks

just safer I suppose. After 250 posts, others might have got a better picture of that person, compared with a new member that comes to a forum with, apaprently, loads of the nice to have bits, takes monies & f***s of with the cash with no intention of sending goods out.
Not suggesting in the slightest that greatdane is anything but honourable  :y :y, but the above has happened before on forums  >:(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2017, 14:06:24 »

We are limited on what the software that OOF is built on can do.

In the early days, we had no such limits, and it just caused hassle, with an influx of people joining purely to sell their stuff, so we have played around other the years with what is achievable within the software, and what works for our community, and this is why the current limits are as they are....   ....and have been for a few years now, as it works pretty well, allowing potential buyers to get a feel for people by the time they are able to sell.

OOF does cost real money to run. Somebody has to pay the bills.  It was started to help owners with their Omegas.  It was never started to be a marketplace, and we leave that mostly to the online marketplaces like ebay and co.  We are not here paying real money to allow everyone access to place free adverts, though obviously we see the need to bring like minded people together to exchange/sell/buy certain related parts and even cars - but this is for those who have contributed their time in helping others.

Not a perfect world, I know, but thats how we ended up where we are.

No offence intended to anyone, and we know there will always be deserving cases that do not fit, but we have made it a hard and fast rule to ensure fairness and eliminate arguements.
Grumpy old man

GrahamT

• Rhyl
    • Omega/Calibra/Manta
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2017, 15:30:54 »

Thanks

just safer I suppose. After 250 posts, others might have got a better picture of that person, compared with a new member that comes to a forum with, apaprently, loads of the nice to have bits, takes monies & f***s of with the cash with no intention of sending goods out.
Not suggesting in the slightest that greatdane is anything but honourable  :y :y, but the above has happened before on forums  >:(

Sorry but with parts that can almost be understood, but a car? Doesn't make any sense at all.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2017, 20:29:48 »

Thanks

Sorry but with parts that can almost be understood, but a car? Doesn't make any sense at all.

Please explain why you think otherwise?

A part may be worth several pounds, or maybe even several hundred pounds.  A Car is worth several hundred pounds to several thousand pounds.  Extra protection because of the extra risk.

As previously said, if the seller puts the car on eBay, we will see it anyway.  Oh, wait - You have to pay for eBay!

Nothing in life is free, and if you want to flog a car on OOF, you have to pay for it - by being part of the community.

As a saide note:  You'll get far less for an Omega on here than you would in the local papers.  We all know what we are looking for, and know what they are worth!

HTH!

GrahamT

• Rhyl
    • Omega/Calibra/Manta
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 January 2017, 20:47:31 »

Thanks

A part may be worth several pounds, or maybe even several hundred pounds.  A Car is worth several hundred pounds to several thousand pounds.  Extra protection because of the extra risk.

As previously said, if the seller puts the car on eBay, we will see it anyway.  Oh, wait - You have to pay for eBay!

Nothing in life is free, and if you want to flog a car on OOF, you have to pay for it - by being part of the community.

As a saide note:  You'll get far less for an Omega on here than you would in the local papers.  We all know what we are looking for, and know what they are worth!

HTH!

Ok simple. How do you get ripped off buying a car you view and pay for face to face.

It's not about cost, it's about keeping cars with enthusiastic owners. As cars of this age just go to the scrap heap as it's easier.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2017, 21:07:15 »

Thanks

HTH!

Ok simple. How do you get ripped off buying a car you view and pay for face to face.

It's not about cost, it's about keeping cars with enthusiastic owners. As cars of this age just go to the scrap heap as it's easier.

Allow me to explain.  I will use yourself and I as an example.

You live in North Wales, I live in Bristol.

YOU are selling a car.  The advert is great, the car looks fantastic in pictures and I am very VERY interested.  We swap numbers and arrange a viewing.  I drive from Bristol to North Wales.... I might even get a train because "The car is mint, innit!".

I arrive at your house....... the car is a shit-pit.  I walk away, saddened.  OUT OF POCKET BECAUSE I'VE DRIVEN/TRAINED ALL THE WAY UP TO NORTH WALES.

Understand now?

More active members tend to let us know how their cars are going...... usually you'll only post up about problems, but here, we like to comment also on when things are going well.  So to address your second point, we do keep cars running.  Usually, the cars sold on this forum are scrappers.  Either being broken to breathe new life into other cars, or sold as a whole to be revived.

Clear now, or are you going to argue the impossible?

mantaray

• Intermediate Member
  • Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 January 2017, 21:42:57 »

Altho I understand the reson for there to be a post limit,but I do feel that 250 is a little high. But if this is down to softwhere as you say, then fare enough there is nothing you can do about it.

I have been a user for the last 6 year and yet only have 125 posts. Being 55 now, I am not a big internet poster and having dislexier does not help either. I tend to have a quick scan of new topics and offer  help if I can, which is not very often, or I am asking for advice. As the 2.5TD i have been running is the most reliable car I have owned, even needing help has not been very often.

I think a 100 to 150 post count would be enough to get a good feel for weither a user is good or not.

Just my thorghts, the admin have looked at the options and I am happy to except the rules, but healthy debate is always good.
2.6 CDX Auto Estate,
71 Opel Manta A Series 2.5 V6
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.