Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another new HBV failed  (Read 5781 times)

powerslinky

Another new HBV failed
« on: 14 January 2017, 11:55:50 »

Following on from the recent report of a new genuine HBV failing . My newly fitted (200 miles) genuine one is leaking from the join along the side( scuttle off & a close examination) . Went out this morning & low coolant popped up after about 15mins driving .  Called VX  they seem to be ok with replacing it if I have the reciept  . . .which I have  of course  ;)

But do I want another from the same batch ?   . . .   not if I can help it . . . we'll see what occurs  :-\ :-\

Bottom line is that these HBV's are really quite cheap now  . . . under £20

but has the quality nosedived ? :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: 14 January 2017, 11:57:30 by Essex Big Al »

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Another new HBV failed
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2017, 11:59:11 »

I expect the quality has nosedived as you say. You could always try SAAB as their 'GM' era cars use the same HBV.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2017, 12:16:19 »

I expect the quality has nosedived as you say. You could always try SAAB as their 'GM' era cars use the same HBV.
Risk of much older stock, but perhaps better made :-\ tough call...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2017, 12:50:48 »

I suspect that GM stock of them is a similar age to the ones that we are replacing, and that the rubber and plastic parts have deteriorated in storage. It's a problem that will only get worse: I try to avoid NOS brake and rubber parts for old cars due to similar failures of hoses and seals.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2017, 14:01:26 »

Guess packaging dumped, but if not, does it have a batch number?
Grumpy old man

powerslinky

« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2017, 14:21:39 »

Guess packaging dumped, but if not, does it have a batch number?

Dumped sadly along with the old valve . . . :'( :'(   

having trouble finding the reciept as well now  ::)     thought it was in the centre consul :-\ :-\

WTF  have I done with that  . .he asks himself ::) ::) ::)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2017, 15:56:00 »

Hmm. I have my receipt, the failed valve, my second valve is in the car, now distrusted but not leaking yet, and I have all the labels, which are identical. Large label has a big no. on top 95517483, big no. lower down is 0467. Smaller label, bearing GM blue badge and D-65423 Russelheim, says GM#95517483 VALVE GR.1.154.0 SO416 MADE IN CHINA.
Which number is the batch number?
I wonder how long my second valve will last?

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2017, 18:44:21 »

On mine I have the same number beginning 955,the lower number is then 0210.Small label has part number beginning 955 then 18 20 001GR.9.242 then LB0715 Made in China and then the same D-65423Russelsheim.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2017, 19:36:21 »

Think the GR number is the batch number... :-\ rings a bell from my aircraft parts past...
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 January 2017, 22:01:02 »

Obviously Vauxhall would not knowingly sell faulty HBVs. I shall watch my second fitted valve closely, if it fails I shall advise Drive Vauxhall Bristol immediately; forum too.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 January 2017, 22:52:39 »

Pic of most recent failed HBV, showing leak.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqxgn58qiqe0zex/HBVleak20%25.jpg?dl=1

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 January 2017, 10:10:41 »

Am I the only person that's had 5 or 6 omegas over the years and never had a single HBV failure?  :-\ Do I win some kind of award?  :D
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Fraggles Rock

• Intermediate Member
  • United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 January 2017, 11:39:30 »

Am I the only person that's had 5 or 6 omegas over the years and never had a single HBV failure?  :-\ Do I win some kind of award?  :D
Clearly don't keep them very long :D

That's to say that, if peoples' experience is any measure, then they're practically a service item...
« Last Edit: 15 January 2017, 11:45:25 by Fraggles Rock »

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 January 2017, 11:47:46 »

Clearly don't keep them very long :D

That's to say that, if peoples' experience is any measure, then they're practically a service item...

I had my first Omega for 18months years ago and more recently had one for 14months. Others not so long... but I guess that total ownership time and no HBV failures still makes me a bullet dodger.  8)
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Fraggles Rock

• Intermediate Member
  • United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 January 2017, 11:49:25 »

Probably lucky then ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 January 2017, 12:57:40 »

Of the 6 Omegas I've owned, 3 have had HBV failures, some multiple failures.  The other 3 I owned for only a few weeks for various reasons (mostly for tunnie's amusement  >:()
Grumpy old man

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 January 2017, 14:21:52 »

Yeah I definitely need some sort of Gold trophy next to my name then  ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 January 2017, 11:35:34 »

Yeah I definitely need some sort of Gold trophy next to my name then  ;D

Yeah, good choice of colour. I don't think the HBV did fail on the Gold one. :-X
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 January 2017, 11:36:16 »

I now find myself with a leaking HBV... What to do.. At least if I go genuine they should change it with no quibble... :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Fraggles Rock

• Intermediate Member
  • United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 January 2017, 11:54:52 »

I now find myself with a leaking HBV... What to do.. At least if I go genuine they should change it with no quibble... :-\
Take one for the team... throw a Febi one on and report back...

Won't fail any quicker than the current GM one seem to :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 January 2017, 11:57:28 »

I see AGP do Febi or Meyle.. Can get one of each for the cost of a GM one..

Yep, I'll do that. :y

Fraggles Rock

• Intermediate Member
  • United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 January 2017, 12:18:04 »

With that choice, I would probably go Meyle... used a few of their parts on the cooling system of another car to good effect :y

Toledodude1973

• Omega Knight
  • IPSWICH U.K.
  • 2002 2.6 elite,1973 ,Gas van,1974 victor fe
    • 2.6 OMEGA ELITE 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 January 2017, 21:05:03 »

Please report back Kevin mine is leaking ,need to get one soon  :-\
2002 omega slowly morphing into 2003 omega with increasing doner parts fitted

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 January 2017, 23:40:40 »

Will do. :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 January 2017, 08:32:38 »

The second Vx HBV I fitted is still holding coolant after 200 miles - long may it continue.
I see on e-bay a wide range of HBVs on offer, priced from £16 (more then Vx) down to £3
 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saab-9-5-Opel-Astra-Corsa-Vectra-Omega-Cavalier-Heater-Control-Valve-90566947-/262421638836?hash=item3d198c6eb4:g:ohQAAOSwT5tWHiIj.
It's hard to believe that there are numerous outfits making fake items, I suspect one or 2 firms in China have been maKing HBVs for a while and are shifting old stock. The above £3 offering is old style with the vacuum pipe unshrouded, while the item I bought from Vx recently has a shrouded pipe. But which to buy? Were not the older ones more reliable?

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21 January 2017, 14:09:40 »

The second Vx HBV I fitted is still holding coolant after 200 miles - long may it continue.
I see on e-bay a wide range of HBVs on offer, priced from £16 (more then Vx) down to £3
 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saab-9-5-Opel-Astra-Corsa-Vectra-Omega-Cavalier-Heater-Control-Valve-90566947-/262421638836?hash=item3d198c6eb4:g:ohQAAOSwT5tWHiIj.
It's hard to believe that there are numerous outfits making fake items, I suspect one or 2 firms in China have been maKing HBVs for a while and are shifting old stock. The above £3 offering is old style with the vacuum pipe unshrouded, while the item I bought from Vx recently has a shrouded pipe. But which to buy? Were not the older ones more reliable?

That £3 HBV is in China! and if you look at the delivery time....it could take up to 2 months to turn up!  :o
Don't think id be buying one of those!

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 January 2017, 14:48:37 »

That £3 HBV is in China! and if you look at the delivery time....it could take up to 2 months to turn up!  :o
Yes, I had noticed; but £3 including postage! I am a patient man, I am tempted to buy a few for stock. I could buy 5 for the price of 1 genuine Vx valve, and they might be OK.

Fraggles Rock

• Intermediate Member
  • United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 January 2017, 22:10:43 »

Yes, I had noticed; but £3 including postage! I am a patient man, I am tempted to buy a few for stock. I could buy 5 for the price of 1 genuine Vx valve, and they might be OK.
They probably come from the same line as the genuine ones... which apparently doesn't inspire confidence... besides what happens if your current one fails a week after ordering...

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 January 2017, 16:51:43 »

They probably come from the same line as the genuine ones... which apparently doesn't inspire confidence... besides what happens if your current one fails a week after ordering...
I return the 2 failed valves to Drive Vauxhall Bristol and get 2 more.
I have bought 2 valves from China and I am advised they are marked as despatched. I will let you know when they arrive.

Toledodude1973

• Omega Knight
  • IPSWICH U.K.
  • 2002 2.6 elite,1973 ,Gas van,1974 victor fe
    • 2.6 OMEGA ELITE 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 January 2017, 16:55:35 »

Terry you must be topman fitting these now ;)
2002 omega slowly morphing into 2003 omega with increasing doner parts fitted

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 22 January 2017, 16:58:45 »

I have bought 2 valves from China and I am advised they are marked as despatched. I will let you know when they arrive.

I hope they have been dispatched and are ok  :)

But that's an old ebay trick......so you cannot cancel the order  ;)

spanish_lad

• spain
    • 1995 25XE saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 January 2017, 22:38:13 »

is there actually any difference in them? from VX to the "chinese" ones? alot of the parts are coming from there now anyways  :o ???
if i hear "its dealer only" one more time im gonna set fire to the mig :p

aaronjb

« Reply #32 on: 24 January 2017, 08:20:40 »

is there actually any difference in them? from VX to the "chinese" ones? alot of the parts are coming from there now anyways  :o ???

If from the same factory then the difference between branded and not is that branded tend to have some form of quality control while unbranded work on the principle of "If it fits in the box, it ships"..

If from different factories then the copy is often made with zero regard for materials used and it's made on the basis of "If it looks the same, it ships" ;D

spanish_lad

• spain
    • 1995 25XE saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 24 January 2017, 20:52:01 »

fair play.. so they are crappy then  :( :(
if i hear "its dealer only" one more time im gonna set fire to the mig :p

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 28 January 2017, 13:03:22 »

Arrived midday today, not bad, eh? They look all right, I suppose I should test one; trouble is I am currently testing one from from Drive Vauxhall Bristol, now having covered 400 miles and not leaking yet, after its fellow purchase leaked on fitting.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 29 January 2017, 11:33:14 »

I now have a Meyle and a Febi replacement from AGP. Both look decent enough quality, indistinguishable from the original GM part that came off my car.. We'll see.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 29 January 2017, 16:32:07 »

Arrived midday today, not bad, eh? They look all right, I suppose I should test one; trouble is I am currently testing one from from Drive Vauxhall Bristol, now having covered 400 miles and not leaking yet, after its fellow purchase leaked on fitting.

That is excellent service from a seller in China  :y and I guess he marked the customs declaration as a 'gift' or the import duty on them was so small it wasn't worth bothering with  :-\

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 29 January 2017, 17:18:34 »

That is excellent service from a seller in China  :y and I guess he marked the customs declaration as a 'gift' or the import duty on them was so small it wasn't worth bothering with  :-\

Today I received an e-mail from e-bay advising me to expect delivery of this item between Wed 15 Feb and Thursday 16 March.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 29 January 2017, 18:14:58 »

Would be under the £18 threshold.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.