Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Renewing ignition tumblers  (Read 1332 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Renewing ignition tumblers
« on: 16 January 2017, 15:53:57 »

so, with the issue with my Bimmer not being resolved, it looks more and more likely that I'll be back in the mig, at least temporarily and possibly for a year or two while I decide what to do next. To that end, I need to fix a few of the niggles that I wasn't going to bother with if I was getting shot of it.

One of those niggles is the ignition getting stuck as the key won't turn. I understand this is due to wear on the tumblers meaning they don't dis-engage properly from the ignition barrel. Question is, where can I source new ones? Alternatively, can I just file/grind the lobes off the tumblers so they disengage from the barrel?

I know technically the second option means you could start the car with a spoon, but seeing as its got an immobiliser I'm not too worried about that! I don't want to fit a separate barrel and lock as I want the doors to work off the same key.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Renewing ignition tumblers
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2017, 16:33:27 »

Worth having a look here, including my postscript at the bottom.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90600.0

Take out each lever and give it a quick clean, de-burr and lube with some graphite, then check the "sprung pin" and the track it runs in and it will be fine for years. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2017, 16:37:38 »

I got mine here: https://www.nwkeys.co.uk/Product/keying-kit-to-suit-vauxhall-h-y-laser-series-locks
Easiest to ring them rather than all the rigmarole required. :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2017, 08:42:16 »

Thanks chaps, looks like a fairly straightforward (if fiddly) one to go on the list  :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2017, 10:51:19 »

Thanks chaps, looks like a fairly straightforward (if fiddly) one to go on the list  :y

Due to an ignition switch and barrel change, I recently fitted mine in the new barrel to retain the same key. it really is a very simple job. Just follow the excellent guide, and do not lose the springs. :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2017, 11:09:23 »

Due to an ignition switch and barrel change, I recently fitted mine in the new barrel to retain the same key. it really is a very simple job. Just follow the excellent guide, and do not lose the springs. :y

Yes, take it apart in a plastic bag. I read the bit in the guide about being careful and still launched bits all over the place!
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2017, 18:04:53 »

Yes, take it apart in a plastic bag. I read the bit in the guide about being careful and still launched bits all over the place!
I've done that too, most annoying. It's a satisfying job, done indoors once you have removed the lock and barrel from the car. The error I made was to remove the key from the lock cylinder without having my hand around it, allowing the springs to shoot the tumblers all over the carpet.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 January 2017, 18:37:25 »

I've done that too, most annoying. It's a satisfying job, done indoors once you have removed the lock and barrel from the car. The error I made was to remove the key from the lock cylinder without having my hand around it, allowing the springs to shoot the tumblers all over the carpet.

Probably the most crucial bit! :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.