Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Pensioners....get yer wallets out  (Read 12637 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Pensioners....get yer wallets out
« Reply #90 on: 12 May 2018, 22:02:53 »

Not to mention that it does have some wholly legitimate medical uses, and is far less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco....

Overall I’m really not certain what the rational justification is for keeping it illegal.
Depends on the person.

We all know alcohol impacts people differently, and all know chain smokers, 20 a day, all their life, living into their 90s.

As there are people who are mentally oppsed up through smoking a bit too much weed.

That is not chain smoking TB.  60-80 per day is the measure of true chain smoking.  One of our past company directors smoked at least 60 Capstan Full Strength per day; he was already down to one lung in his 50's, and breathless most of the time retiring early.

One of my uncles, along with my auntie chain smoked to the tune of 80 each per day, being used to duty free cigs when in the Royal Navy.  He lost both legs, and like her died in their late 50's.

I could go on with other family examples with those who smoked constantly when it was once socially acceptable, and "so good for your health" (!!!) to do so, and although I worked in a retail company selling the bloody stuff, but never smoking it myself, I have always wanted to ban tobacco products.

But that would do no good, no more than the current criminalisation of smoking cannibis. Cannibis (directly or indirectly) tobacco and alcohol all kills or shortens life in the long run, so let the government control cannibis use as it does the rest, produce revenue, and gradually reduce consumption as it has with tobacco and alcohol (yes figures are showing that there has been a drop in youngsters consumption) ,along with an overall decline in public houses. Then the police can target other criminal activity, which often is funded by cannibis production and supply, including the supply and use of class 'A' drugs.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2018, 22:05:09 by Lizzie Zoom »

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 13 May 2018, 01:51:00 »

Reduce the population, shoot any child who has 2 older siblings (that means shooting myself). Shoot anyone who is a financial drain on society, pensioners excluded.

The country needs to be cheaper to run, as we've run out of rich people to pay for it all.

Once again we are in a recession since the referendum (though figures are only just starting to catch up), and many small businesses just throwing in the towel as greedy landlords and greedy authorities keep bumping up rents and business rates, and nobody is spending.

Toys R us, Maplin and House of Fraser (now saved, temporarily) are just the start of this one, and there a few big names according to the retailer rags that are lined up to follow.

The millennials think online retailing is the answer, but that will only push prices up, and you can bet free postage/free return will soon become a thing of the past, and remember its horrifically expensive for a mail order company to process returns.

Obviously all this will reduce money raised by taxation, so time to vote me in as President ;)

Stalin & Hitler tried that; one suffered a 'stroke' and the other an 'accidental negligent discharge' in a Berlin Buker and Western society is still where it is. :o :o :o It's a numbers game and fools always easily outnumber smart academics. ::) ::) ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 13 May 2018, 01:58:57 »

Go and visit your local mental health hospital and take a bit of time to study the people who have had their brains fried by smoking the shit, then you might see the justification for keeping it illegal.
Many of them will be well below the age of 18 by the way.
This is a subject very close to my heart, and I find it frustrating when people are glib about it.  :-X

The question here where skunk cannabis has known psychotic long term effects on the brain especially young brains, would legal lower strength help? I defer to your frontline experience, before I voice any opinion.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 13 May 2018, 07:49:06 »

If lower strength stuff was legalised and skunk wasn't, skunk would be what everyone wanted to smoke. Smoking the weak legal shit just wouldn't be cool for the average 14 / 15 year old.
It would be like drinking alcopops instead of vodka.
Half the reason they start smoking it in the first place is that its a rebellious thing to do. Its called being young I suppose.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 13 May 2018, 13:37:50 »

If lower strength stuff was legalised and skunk wasn't, skunk would be what everyone wanted to smoke. Smoking the weak legal shit just wouldn't be cool for the average 14 / 15 year old.
Half the reason they start smoking it in the first place is that its a rebellious thing to do. Its called being young I suppose.

And that is one of my previous points.  With legalisation there would be a loss of the "rebellious glamour" in using the awful stuff.  It would no longer be attractive as a 'one in the eye' for authority.  It would become (hopefully) a boring thing to do.

My case is that there must be a new approach to cannabis because what is being tried at the moment is not working, at least from a police point of view judging from what I am being told.  After legalisation of weed must then be an approach of all resources, along with the whole justice system, fighting without mercy the production and supply of all class 'A's.

The original point of this thread was about pensioners paying for the future as much as the youngsters.  With a funding crisis in the NHS, Mental Health Services, Elderly Care, the extra (apparently) £6 billion legalisation of cannabis could raise, along with extra funding for the police to fight all other drug use, must be one approach worth considering.  I intended not to discuss anything political again on the OOF, but I feel so strongly on this one that it is worth commenting on regardless of any comments (that I welcome) that could be stirred up. :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 13 May 2018, 14:34:16 »

Not to mention that it does have some wholly legitimate medical uses, and is far less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco....

Overall I’m really not certain what the rational justification is for keeping it illegal.
Depends on the person.

We all know alcohol impacts people differently, and all know chain smokers, 20 a day, all their life, living into their 90s.

As there are people who are mentally oppsed up through smoking a bit too much weed.

That is not chain smoking TB.  60-80 per day is the measure of true chain smoking.  One of our past company directors smoked at least 60 Capstan Full Strength per day; he was already down to one lung in his 50's, and breathless most of the time retiring early.

One of my uncles, along with my auntie chain smoked to the tune of 80 each per day, being used to duty free cigs when in the Royal Navy.  He lost both legs, and like her died in their late 50's.

I could go on with other family examples with those who smoked constantly when it was once socially acceptable, and "so good for your health" (!!!) to do so, and although I worked in a retail company selling the bloody stuff, but never smoking it myself, I have always wanted to ban tobacco products.

But that would do no good, no more than the current criminalisation of smoking cannibis. Cannibis (directly or indirectly) tobacco and alcohol all kills or shortens life in the long run, so let the government control cannibis use as it does the rest, produce revenue, and gradually reduce consumption as it has with tobacco and alcohol (yes figures are showing that there has been a drop in youngsters consumption) ,along with an overall decline in public houses. Then the police can target other criminal activity, which often is funded by cannibis production and supply, including the supply and use of class 'A' drugs.

Who knows, Lizzie. Maybe a few years from now new evidence will emerge that 20 Capstan full strength  can be considered one of  your 'five a day'. ;) :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 13 May 2018, 15:58:32 »

And that is one of my previous points.  With legalisation there would be a loss of the "rebellious glamour" in using the awful stuff.  It would no longer be attractive as a 'one in the eye' for authority.  It would become (hopefully) a boring thing to do.

My case is that there must be a new approach to cannabis because what is being tried at the moment is not working, at least from a police point of view judging from what I am being told.  After legalisation of weed must then be an approach of all resources, along with the whole justice system, fighting without mercy the production and supply of all class 'A's.

The original point of this thread was about pensioners paying for the future as much as the youngsters.  With a funding crisis in the NHS, Mental Health Services, Elderly Care, the extra (apparently) £6 billion legalisation of cannabis could raise, along with extra funding for the police to fight all other drug use, must be one approach worth considering.  I intended not to discuss anything political again on the OOF, but I feel so strongly on this one that it is worth commenting on regardless of any comments (that I welcome) that could be stirred up. :y
Nonsense... Smoking was legal at 16 as was buying tobacco, yet even Sixth Form at school got detention, a fine and loss of privileges for a week or two... Prefects even got demoted. Oddly enough, half the Sixth Form, not to mention the fourth and fifth forms used to smoke regardless ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 13 May 2018, 18:00:41 »

Nonsense... Smoking was legal at 16 as was buying tobacco, yet even Sixth Form at school got detention, a fine and loss of privileges for a week or two... Prefects even got demoted. Oddly enough, half the Sixth Form, not to mention the fourth and fifth forms used to smoke regardless ::)
. But smoking is sooooo yesterday, with just 5% of children aged 8 to 15 years now smoking, down 75% from 2003.  It was considered to be rebellious to smoke in school, behind the bike sheds, but now it is recognised as being a stupid thing to do which is expensive now that so many adults do not have cigarettes in the house that can be 'aquisitioned' :D ;)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 13 May 2018, 18:53:31 »

I began smoking not because it was rebellious but because it was the "grown up" thing to do at the time.Other than a couple of short lived failed attempts to stop I've smoked from my mid teens-and yes at one point for some time I was on 80 a day and still smoke 20-30 a day.It's a filthy habit expensive and given half a chance it'll kill you,but still I do it.Never tried any of the illegal drugs though.At one time I'd never have voted for legalising cannabis etc.,however the "war on drugs"has been and still is a costly failure so some kind of different approach is needed whether that's legalising it or not I don't know but there doesn't seem to me too many other alternatives.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 14 May 2018, 18:12:00 »

But smoking is sooooo yesterday, with just 5% of children aged 8 to 15 years now smoking, down 75% from 2003.  It was considered to be rebellious to smoke in school, behind the bike sheds, but now it is recognised as being a stupid thing to do which is expensive now that so many adults do not have cigarettes in the house that can be 'aquisitioned' :D ;)
I think you are believing the hype from the NHS and various official departments.

I suspect they make figures up to achieve targets, as I can only see more secondary school kids smoking at lunchtime than ever before.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #100 on: 14 May 2018, 18:20:41 »

I see plenty of 'school kids' smoking. I put school kids in commas because most of them are now bigger and stronger than me, and quite a few have beards  ;D They don't do it furtively either, they are very open about it.  I mean, how do you stop a 6' 2", 13 stone teenager from smoking, other than telling them they'll be sorry later in life?
The rugby team at my sons old secondary school, all 16 and 17 year olds, used to go into town for a piss up after a match  :o

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 14 May 2018, 18:25:23 »

Quite right too :D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 14 May 2018, 19:52:31 »

But smoking is sooooo yesterday, with just 5% of children aged 8 to 15 years now smoking, down 75% from 2003.  It was considered to be rebellious to smoke in school, behind the bike sheds, but now it is recognised as being a stupid thing to do which is expensive now that so many adults do not have cigarettes in the house that can be 'aquisitioned' :D ;)
I think you are believing the hype from the NHS and various official departments.

I suspect they make figures up to achieve targets, as I can only see more secondary school kids smoking at lunchtime than ever before.

No TB, Cancer Research as well, that actually has regular under 16 smokers down to just 3%.

But, to quote a phrase often used on the OOF, don't let facts get in the way of a good story. Passing school gates and seeing some young smokers, who could anyway be 16 or over, is a far more reliable measure than officially produced statistics from an organisation like CR who you would think should inflate the figures! ::) ::) ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 14 May 2018, 20:23:00 »

Whether they are 16 or not, it is illegal to purchase cigarettes below the age of 18, and presumably just as illegal to supply them to someone who cannot legally purchase them.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 14 May 2018, 20:41:57 »

Whether they are 16 or not, it is illegal to purchase cigarettes below the age of 18, and presumably just as illegal to supply them to someone who cannot legally purchase them.

Absolutely right.

However, even when the legal age was 16 the minors still managed to get hold of cigarettes, so obviously some things never change!  No doubt, as previously, some stupid parents let their children smoke their cigarettes or older 'children' buy the cigarettes for the flock around them.

Like with all laws, it requires extra police resource to hammer down on law breakers, but the police have enough on their hands tackling drug and drink issues with the young to worry too much about kids smoking at the school gates.  Wrong I know, but that is a reality of life.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.