Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacment for the omega  (Read 10312 times)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Replacment for the omega
« on: 09 September 2020, 12:37:56 »

Sadly after nearly 20 years and 4 different omegas, its looking like i'll be moving on next year  :'(
Cant justify 16mpg on a 2 mile journey to work then back anymore and LPG is getting hard to get off the beaten track  :(
Looking at the Audi A6 avant / Allroad or maybe depending on fuel consumption, a VW Touareg ?
V6 Turbo Diesel
Looking at a one registered before April 07 so I don't get my arse abused with the road fund tax  :-\

Needs to have some grunt, and tow a pikey van in the summer.

Anybody on here owned one ?

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Replacment for the omega
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2020, 12:54:37 »

Sadly after nearly 20 years and 4 different omegas, its looking like i'll be moving on next year  :'(
Cant justify 16mpg on a 2 mile journey to work then back anymore and LPG is getting hard to get off the beaten track  :(
Looking at the Audi A6 avant / Allroad or maybe depending on fuel consumption, a VW Touareg ?
V6 Turbo Diesel
Looking at a one registered before April 07 so I don't get my arse abused with the road fund tax  :-\

March 06  :y, I have had my Touareg nearly 6 years now and would have another :y
Mine is the 5 pot but tows very well indeed,I would have the V6 next for even more tug
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2020, 13:33:09 »

V6 Turbo Diesel

March 06  :y, I have had my Touareg nearly 6 years now and would have another :y
Mine is the 5 pot but tows very well indeed,I would have the V6 next for even more tug

Is that the 2.5ltr Henry ?
Are they best or chain ?
What sort of power / torque does that lump push out ?
I've been told that these lumps are tuneable for not a lot of sheckles  :-\
What sort of real world mpg do you get ?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2020, 14:28:03 »

Make your commute longer. Omegas are notoriously crap on fuel when cold, although being manualised, it should be better than 16mpg :-\, but can't see anything similarly sized being much better on such a short run... I would go as far as to suggest that a known/well kept Omega will always be cheaper overall to run than a slightly newer diesel. The newer/more expensive, the more you need to save on fuel to offset the purchase cost, and it's not a linear comparison  ;)

Budget is probably your greatest restriction on choice, but going too old leaves you exposed to timing chain and drivetrain wear, not to mention early dpf issues and fuel pump/injector failure. And it is almost impossible to avoid the DSG shaped elephant in the corner.

Not diesel, but probably more fun... https://www.elitecar.co.uk/used-cars/vauxhall-vxr8-6-0-v8-auto-4dr-bordon-202008011977816 :D

« Last Edit: 09 September 2020, 14:29:34 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 September 2020, 15:09:18 »

Make your commute longer. Omegas are notoriously crap on fuel when cold, although being manualised, it should be better than 16mpg :-\, but can't see anything similarly sized being much better on such a short run... I would go as far as to suggest that a known/well kept Omega will always be cheaper overall to run than a slightly newer diesel. The newer/more expensive, the more you need to save on fuel to offset the purchase cost, and it's not a linear comparison  ;)

Budget is probably your greatest restriction on choice, but going too old leaves you exposed to timing chain and drivetrain wear, not to mention early dpf issues and fuel pump/injector failure. And it is almost impossible to avoid the DSG shaped elephant in the corner.

Not diesel, but probably more fun... https://www.elitecar.co.uk/used-cars/vauxhall-vxr8-6-0-v8-auto-4dr-bordon-202008011977816 :D

I know where your coming from Al but at the end of the day, the Omega isn't going to get any younger and is only going to be harder to maintain in years to come  :'(
Myself and the wife ain't getting any younger and she has a dodgy back hence looking at the Allroad or maybe the Touareg. The idea is something easier to get in and out of.
Longer route to work means getting out of bed earlier and I do love my beauty sleep  ;D

Drove back from Skeggy on Sunday after a few days away with the van.
Going round Louth, the bypass is 2 big hills which the Omega bounds up and down with ease.
This time I chased a A6 Avant 3.0TDI up it for fun  ::)
That was until he got board with me, gave me the finger and took off at a pace that made me feel like I was in REVERSE  ::)
Very VERY impressed (the tw&t  ;D)

We only have about 3 or 4 grand to play with
« Last Edit: 09 September 2020, 15:15:11 by tigers_gonads »

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 September 2020, 16:14:23 »

V6 Turbo Diesel

Are they best or chain ?

gear driven engine, no belts or chains or DPF, 175bhp out of the box but mine has been "helped" to around 210 so does very well, 6 speed auto(not DSG) and does about 23mpg around the houses down here and 30-32 on a run. It weighs 2.5 tonnes so can't expect brilliant mpg
other rides 

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2020, 16:24:26 »

That sounds like a better bet than the 3.0 V6 diseasal ;)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 September 2020, 16:29:44 »

V6 Turbo Diesel

Are they best or chain ?

gear driven engine, no belts or chains or DPF, 175bhp out of the box but mine has been "helped" to around 210 so does very well, 6 speed auto(not DSG) and does about 23mpg around the houses down here and 30-32 on a run. It weighs 2.5 tonnes so can't expect brilliant mpg

What Reg / Year ?

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 September 2020, 16:31:07 »

That sounds like a better bet than the 3.0 V6 diseasal ;)

Yeh true ( but opps, that Avant impressed me the way he took off ;))

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 September 2020, 16:32:12 »

Any info / experience on the 2.7 tdi engine ?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 September 2020, 16:54:46 »

I believe this is ideal for curing depression and low mood. Perhaps it is available on the NHS. :) ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 September 2020, 17:19:44 »

One can only ask... :D

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 September 2020, 18:12:41 »

2014 Audi A6 Allroad, 3.0 ltr V6 turbo diesel here .. as a replacement for the omega... and in 18 months I can't fault it to be honest ...  pulls like a train , very good economy solo, decent economy towing, probably the best towcar I've had, handles my 1700Kg van with ease.

And I've not put a spanner or a screwdriver to it at all !!

If I was being VERY picky then the "boot" space with the rear seats "up" is somewhat limited, due to the very sloping back, but with the seats "down" it's a veritable chasm !!

Very pleased with it
« Last Edit: 09 September 2020, 18:14:33 by Entwood »

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 September 2020, 18:39:49 »

2014 Audi A6 Allroad, 3.0 ltr V6 turbo diesel here .. as a replacement for the omega... and in 18 months I can't fault it to be honest ...  pulls like a train , very good economy solo, decent economy towing, probably the best towcar I've had, handles my 1700Kg van with ease.

And I've not put a spanner or a screwdriver to it at all !!

If I was being VERY picky then the "boot" space with the rear seats "up" is somewhat limited, due to the very sloping back, but with the seats "down" it's a veritable chasm !!

Very pleased with it

Hi Nige
What sort of mpg are you getting ?

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 September 2020, 19:43:09 »

V6 Turbo Diesel

Are they best or chain ?

What Reg / Year ?

Mine is on a 54 but 05 year
I should add that the fuel economy used to be much better,but since I have had the 9-5 aero both myself and the wife tend to drive it much harder because it feels a bit lethargic in comparison :-[
« Last Edit: 09 September 2020, 19:45:50 by henryd »
other rides 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.