Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I have bought a good one 😁  (Read 2206 times)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
I have bought a good one 😁
« on: 30 September 2019, 20:42:17 »

Arranged for the Range Rover to be given the once over this evening by a LR technician , well he went all over it  & his comment was " This vehicle has been maintained regardless of cost"  no oil leaks fresh oil in engine & gearbox genuine LR battery dated 2016 rear brake pads will need to be replaced in around 5,000 miles front are Brembo & look fairly recent , steering components all good and what have been replaced  have been polybushed , so I am pretty happy 😁
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: I have bought a good one 😁
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2019, 21:51:11 »

Excellent.

Nice feeling when you have confirmation of a good purchase.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

456lbft

• Northants
  • Exhaust manufacturer from Northamptonshire
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2019, 12:27:57 »

Was it a private purchase or from the trade? What model RR, any pics?  Thinking of a P38 as a family friendly weekend wagon, but am wary of money pits.
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2019, 16:35:10 »

Was it a private purchase or from the trade? What model RR, any pics?  Thinking of a P38 as a family friendly weekend wagon, but am wary of money pits.

Private purchase friend of a friend full history 2007 3.6 V8 twin turbo immaculate inside & out , avoid the 2.7 at all costs lots of crankshaft problems reported I'm lucky to know a Landrover technician who has given this one a thorough inspection his tip is to only use genuine Landrover parts to avoid problems , if you're on a tight budget  not the car  to buy. Plenty of pictures on general car chat " Tilbos Range Rover"
« Last Edit: 08 October 2019, 16:39:07 by Rangie »
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 October 2019, 20:09:59 »

....... if you're on a tight budget  not the car  to buy.

As I understand things, there are a lot of crap and neglected Range Rovers and Discoverys out there because people buy them and then don't maintain them properly because of the cost.  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2019, 20:54:05 »

Even if you do find a good one, keeping in front of the maintenance costs is quite a thing. My folks owned two over about a 15 year period, both were one owner (plus dealer) examples bought from LR with full dealer history. Both would regularly drop £500 bills (that's a DIY £500 not a garage £500) and as you would expect for a large luxury vehicle, consumables are not cheap. They were also pass masters at peculiar non-repeatable faults that were very hard to diagnose.

Add to that the rust issues you'll be seeing now (even the youngest P38 is c18yrs old now) and I would advise against buying one unless you really want one.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 October 2019, 22:05:11 »

There's lot of rotten older L322's out there as well..  :(
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 October 2019, 22:16:52 »

Even if you do find a good one, keeping in front of the maintenance costs is quite a thing. My folks owned two over about a 15 year period, both were one owner (plus dealer) examples bought from LR with full dealer history. Both would regularly drop £500 bills (that's a DIY £500 not a garage £500) and as you would expect for a large luxury vehicle, consumables are not cheap. They were also pass masters at peculiar non-repeatable faults that were very hard to diagnose.

Add to that the rust issues you'll be seeing now (even the youngest P38 is c18yrs old now) and I would advise against buying one unless you really want one.

You have to expect the unexpected with Land Rovers I'm afraid , as someone else said plenty of neglected ones around , my plans are to allow £1500 a year for
maintenance hopefully well over the top, but if a major problem arises it can be dealt with .
« Last Edit: 08 October 2019, 22:20:10 by Rangie »

aaronjb

« Reply #8 on: 09 October 2019, 07:53:52 »

I'm already half way to that £1500 mark .. in four months ;D

Mine still needs brake lines over the rear diff (~£120 part, common fault with repair sections available from LR), rear suspension links (£250 per side), front lower arms (£250 per side), at its age it could probably do with new shocks (£250 each), ARB bushes (cheap part, expensive labour) and four new tyres.

Still .. that's better than some of the horror stories you've probably read on the other forum - like the guy who dropped, what was it, £4k on repairs only to have the inlet manifolds split (common fault on the SDV6), repair those for another £1500 and have something else immediately fail..

THe L494s don't seem to fare much better in the reliability stakes, either!

Ah well.. let's see how much our wallets haemorrhage over the next 12 months  :D

[edit] I'd do it all again, of course, if a nice 5.0 SC V8 popped up..  :-X
« Last Edit: 09 October 2019, 07:57:07 by aaronjb »

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 October 2019, 08:47:02 »

I'm already half way to that £1500 mark .. in four months ;D

Mine still needs brake lines over the rear diff (~£120 part, common fault with repair sections available from LR), rear suspension links (£250 per side), front lower arms (£250 per side), at its age it could probably do with new shocks (£250 each), ARB bushes (cheap part, expensive labour) and four new tyres.

Still .. that's better than some of the horror stories you've probably read on the other forum - like the guy who dropped, what was it, £4k on repairs only to have the inlet manifolds split (common fault on the SDV6), repair those for another £1500 and have something else immediately fail..

THe L494s don't seem to fare much better in the reliability stakes, either!

Ah well.. let's see how much our wallets haemorrhage over the next 12 months  :D

[edit] I'd do it all again, of course, if a nice 5.0 SC V8 popped up..  :-X

At least we went into ownership with our eyes open !
Either your prepared to look after these vehicles properly or not if the latter good luck..🙂

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 October 2019, 17:05:16 »

P38 is a money pit, and the L322 is now cheap enough to completely ignore the P38...   ...although early L322s are as old as the a FL Omega, so may have corrosion issues.  Electrics generally better on L322, and even better on Ford era Landrovers (essentially the 2006ish facelift), and really good on Tata ones.  Though all JLR products from that era suffer glitches related to battery voltage, and they don't like being left to partly discharge. Nor do they tolerate tired batteries.

Despite some of the claims in this thread, Landrover parts are generally good value for money, compared to other marques, including sister Jaguar.  Almost to the point its not worth using unknown pattern parts. Dealer labour costs are in that premium marque bracket though.
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 October 2019, 18:19:12 »

P38 is a money pit, and the L322 is now cheap enough to completely ignore the P38...   ...although early L322s are as old as the a FL Omega, so may have corrosion issues.  Electrics generally better on L322, and even better on Ford era Landrovers (essentially the 2006ish facelift), and really good on Tata ones.  Though all JLR products from that era suffer glitches related to battery voltage, and they don't like being left to partly discharge. Nor do they tolerate tired batteries.

Despite some of the claims in this thread, Landrover parts are generally good value for money, compared to other marques, including sister Jaguar.  Almost to the point its not worth using unknown pattern parts. Dealer labour costs are in that premium marque bracket though.

Spot on TB have been in touch with my local dealership re new front discs for mine extremely helpful & offered me a discount without any prompting, can't remember the cost off the top of my head but very reasonable for genuine parts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.