Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: In the Major Service deep end again  (Read 15277 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: In the Major Service deep end again
« Reply #60 on: 26 September 2018, 15:49:51 »

Although after saying all that;  can anyone say how long the existing cam cover gaskets could last in keeping oil out of the plug wells now I have cleaned the breathers?

Is it a viable option to drive the car for 2 hours+ without them 'bursting'? ??? ???

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 26 September 2018, 15:51:02 »

But I will make decisions over the next few days.  Serek is over 2+ hours away up some of the busiest roads, and the Dart toll.  But as I said, it is a great shame he is no closer as it would be a no brainer! If fact none of the OOF mobile mechanic friends are close to my part of Kent!! ;)

You're only twenty minutes away......

Are you!  Are you a mobile mechanic?  Didn't know that!! :o :o

I'll PM you :-* :-*

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 26 September 2018, 15:53:15 »

I would say they only ever weep quite slowly, so I would think you'd be fine to put it together and drive it to a garage, to be honest. Especially if you've cleared the breathers. Nip up the cam cover bolts to their specified 8nm as well, just in case the leak has been precipitated by one of two of them working loose.

If it hadn't taken months for that oil to build up the plug wells would have overflowed all over the place and the problem would have been very obvious before stripping it down.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 26 September 2018, 15:55:22 »

I would say they only ever weep quite slowly, so I would think you'd be fine to put it together and drive it to a garage, to be honest. Especially if you've cleared the breathers. Nip up the cam cover bolts to their specified 8nm as well, just in case the leak has been precipitated by one of two of them working loose.

If it hadn't taken months for that oil to build up the plug wells would have overflowed all over the place and the problem would have been very obvious before stripping it down.

Thanks Kevin, that is very reassuring :-* :-* :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 26 September 2018, 16:16:32 »

Oil only lightly seeps from the joint of cover and head,and as said if leak was major you would know it well before now as would be oil everywhere and smell like a kebab shop .

You have little to loose now as they need replacing but a few hours drive on even the M25 isn't going to make them any worse imho.

NickW is by far the closest and very capable of doing all that you are seeking to an extremely high standard as I can vouch for,so a 40 minute drive to him may be your even better option if he,s offering assistance

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 26 September 2018, 16:23:50 »

Oil only lightly seeps from the joint of cover and head,and as said if leak was major you would know it well before now as would be oil everywhere and smell like a kebab shop .

You have little to loose now as they need replacing but a few hours drive on even the M25 isn't going to make them any worse imho.

NickW is by far the closest and very capable of doing all that you are seeking to an extremely high standard as I can vouch for,so a 40 minute drive to him may be your even better option if he,s offering assistance

Thanks amba for that :-* :-* 8) :y

As you can see I am now seeking out all my options.  Gone is my swagger and stubbornness, trying to keep everything stamped by my Vx dealer, and with all the genuine Vx parts for all the work secured and awaiting my collection on Friday I can now calmly consider what is best for my Omega. At least I have the parts I wanted!

I am awaiting Nick to PM me on what I have asked, and at just 20 minutes away, so local, he is now a very good option. 8) 8) :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 26 September 2018, 16:26:13 »

He will be a better choice than any VX Dealer and you wont be unhappy with his work I assure you :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 26 September 2018, 16:33:52 »

Seconded without hesitation :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 26 September 2018, 16:41:59 »

Seconded without hesitation :y

Thanks DG! :-* :y

He now seems to be the man if he will do the work for me :D ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 26 September 2018, 17:42:15 »

Thanks Kevin, that is very reassuring :-* :-* :y

Just one more thing Kevin, as the rubber sleeves that cover the plugs got soaked inside with oil as I pulled the dis packs off, will they be ok to put back on with just a good wipe as already done?  Should I degrease them anymore to avoid arcing? ??? ???

Thanks ;)

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 26 September 2018, 17:51:26 »

I'd agree with that, the oil doesn't gush out, so weeping seals shouldn't be a problem if you're only driving a few miles, especially as you've cleaned up the most of the mess anyway.

Contrary to popular belief, oil in the plug wells shouldn't cause any major problems to the engine running, it's just the mess it creates and when it gets really bad it will burn on the manifolds and start to smoke badly - don't ask me how I know! It's more embarrassing than anything else, but leave it long enough (and we're talking extremes here) there is the potential for the oil to combust. If it's not smoking yet, you should be good for a couple of hundred miles.

High tension electrical transformers use oil as a coolant, so it's very rare for it to cause firing problems on an Omega, but water in the plug wells (dripping from the scuttle) is a different matter all together, and that does cause firing problems and ultimately damage. Oil itself won't cause arcing problems.
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 26 September 2018, 17:55:10 »

I'd agree with that, the oil doesn't gush out, so weeping seals shouldn't be a problem if you're only driving a few miles, especially as you've cleaned up the most of the mess anyway.

Contrary to popular belief, oil in the plug wells shouldn't cause any major problems to the engine running, it's just the mess it creates and when it gets really bad it will burn on the manifolds and start to smoke badly - don't ask me how I know! It's more embarrassing than anything else, but leave it long enough (and we're talking extremes here) there is the potential for the oil to combust. If it's not smoking yet, you should be good for a couple of hundred miles.

High tension electrical transformers use oil as a coolant, so it's very rare for it to cause firing problems on an Omega, but water in the plug wells (dripping from the scuttle) is a different matter all together, and that does cause firing problems and ultimately damage. Oil itself won't cause arcing problems.

Ah right,  that's very reassuring Tick Tock.  Many thanks :-* :-* :-* :y

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 27 September 2018, 08:56:46 »

Lizzie if another pair of hands can help let me know
Ron

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 27 September 2018, 09:32:11 »

Ron

That's very kind of you Ron. Thanks. :-* :-* :-* :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 27 September 2018, 11:43:48 »

Ron

That's very kind of you Ron. Thanks. :-* :-* :-* :y

I am awaiting a reply to my PM's to Nick W as he is highly recommended and close to our town so I could take it to him for everything that needs doing, that I,can't do now. But I will certainly keep you in mind Ron for offering to help me. That is very kind of you! :-* :-* :-*
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.