Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPAD mounting cradle  (Read 1375 times)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
IPAD mounting cradle
« on: 24 November 2019, 15:17:01 »

Anyone know of a decent quality IPAD (actually a Microsoft Surface Pro but its basically the same size) mounting cradle for a facelift Omega? I've tried some of the cheap jobbies from eBay that clip into the heater blower vents, but they aren't really sturdy enough for something as big and heavy as a M$ Surface Pro. I've done a dummy fit and I think it should be possible to mount it between the gearstick and radio/CD without obscuring anything critical.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: IPAD mounting cradle
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2019, 15:46:55 »

Suspect you'll have a hard time finding an Omega specific one now.

But with the advent of cheap 3d prints/cnc machines, Thingiverse and free CAD tools, should be doable :)
Grumpy old man

Jan Suhr

• Intermediate Member
  • Nyköping, Sweden
    • 2 Omega Caravans 3.2 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2019, 12:47:03 »

Check out this instead:

https://www.eonon.com/Android-Car-GPS/2-Din-GPS-Navigation.html

It is basically an Android tablet built in to a stereo unit with Bluetooth for your hands-free phone calls.

It fit instead of your original unit and is up to date in technology with Google  Maps for navigation, music of any kind. Use your phones WiFi sharing to get internet access for any streaming service.

I have it in my Omega, you can find mounting kits for the Omega so it will fit properly. It also works with the steering wheel controls, it comes with an app that let you set functions to the buttons.

Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
www.protouring.se

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2019, 13:08:25 »

Check out this instead:

https://www.eonon.com/Android-Car-GPS/2-Din-GPS-Navigation.html

It is basically an Android tablet built in to a stereo unit with Bluetooth for your hands-free phone calls.

It fit instead of your original unit and is up to date in technology with Google  Maps for navigation, music of any kind. Use your phones WiFi sharing to get internet access for any streaming service.

I have it in my Omega, you can find mounting kits for the Omega so it will fit properly. It also works with the steering wheel controls, it comes with an app that let you set functions to the buttons.

Thanks, interesting but I'm a bit 'special' in my requirements. I don't have or want a phone, so Google maps is a non starter and internet access not required (or wanted) while I'm on the move. The Surface Pro is a full function i5 based PC, and you can download M$ offline maps for free using my home WiFi. I have a £10 ebay GPS dongle that plugs into the USB port to supply the location service. It's then totally autonomous, and no-one knows what I'm up to or where I'm going next. 8)

I also want/need to run Plane Plotter and my own bespoke radar plotting software (Mode A/C) coz many military aircraft don't support full ADSB :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.