Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caravanning - Omega's as towcar!  (Read 6002 times)

SMS01

• Altrincham
  • Black Omega 3.0 manual estate 'P' reg
    • View Profile
Caravanning - Omega's as towcar!
« on: 19 July 2006, 00:39:51 »

Following on from the Caravan Tyre warning earlier, I am thinking of getting a caravan at some stage - not a new one by any means, but fancy something to tame the 3.0 on the road..

Any recommendations for an ideal sort of size of van/weight etc for the Omega? Ideally I would prefer a larger van 3/4/5 berth just for space and comfort, but would appreciate any pointers or advice from our existing caravanning members to look out for should I finally decide to take the plunge.

Mine is a 3.0 elite estate on a P - so not new but has typical features of the specification, obvious thing I would only drive it with an anti-snake device as have seen too many vans on their side for various reasons.

Any other mods necessary for the meega or other things I should be aware of with the meega towing?

Cheers for any advice

Steve

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
Re: Caravanning - Omega's as towcar!
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2006, 06:38:37 »

SWMBO wants a van but no wheels :)

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2006, 07:59:36 »

I think Martin Imber will be the best qualified to answer this.

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2006, 09:17:46 »

Steve,

As long as you stick to the recommended 85% of the cars kerb weight for the weight of the van you should have no problems. The maximum weight you can tow is reduced depending on when you passed your driving test so check your license befor you commit to a purchase.

I have had both Swift and Bailey 5 berths and they have come in at around the 1350KG mark which is well within the scope for the diesel estate but I don't have a weight for the petrol derivatives. Check the caravan club website for advice as they have a getting started section.

Martin is indeed the man to give advice on the petrols for towing just remember the vans tyres are not ZR rated ;).

Steve

Martin_1962

« Reply #4 on: 19 July 2006, 09:17:48 »

An Omega will handle just about any single axle van on the market.

I would advise against a twin axle at this stage, not for car but for the driver.

OK New or Used?

Any favourite make?

Budget?

The 3.0V6 will walk it, the auto is bullet proof

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2006, 09:19:56 »

And like many exec autos, it already has an gearbox oilcooler, so autobox isn't a prob.  I would probably suggest changing autobox fluid more often if using for towing.
Grumpy old man

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2006, 09:31:58 »

Following on from the Caravan Tyre warning earlier, I am thinking of getting a caravan at some stage - not a new one by any means, but fancy something to tame the 3.0 on the road..

Any recommendations for an ideal sort of size of van/weight etc for the Omega? Ideally I would prefer a larger van 3/4/5 berth just for space and comfort, but would appreciate any pointers or advice from our existing caravanning members to look out for should I finally decide to take the plunge.

Mine is a 3.0 elite estate on a P - so not new but has typical features of the specification, obvious thing I would only drive it with an anti-snake device as have seen too many vans on their side for various reasons.

Any other mods necessary for the meega or other things I should be aware of with the meega towing?

Cheers for any advice

Steve

Caravan eh......did you not watch Top Gear Sunday? ;D ;D
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

Martin_1962

« Reply #7 on: 19 July 2006, 12:44:31 »

OK more info.

Get your nose weight to 75kg using scales, do not go under 70kg nor over mid 70s.

Always use a stabliser.

Look around a few dealerships to see what you like.

Do go for it it is a relaxing way to have a holiday.

Remember tyres are only rated to 82.5mph.

Don't be afraid to hammer the tow car, climbing hills or off juctions - use that power

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2006, 12:51:55 »

Blooming weekend gypsy’s  ;D

Bernie400

• cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2006, 12:57:23 »

I have got a folding camper which is basically a caravan butfolds away to half the height.

sits about 16 foot long, and the 2.5 just purrs.

No long line of cars behind me, it will easily sit at 70-80 on motorway, and cruises down the a roads, even do some overtaking.

I am no speed freak but the 2.5 omega is a cracking tow bus.

bernie400
On driveway: Blue 2.5 Reflection, Black 406(boring) & Ascona 400 (will be in Rothmans, oh yes!)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #10 on: 19 July 2006, 12:59:03 »

jeeez, i know nothing of caravans but overtaking with one on tow....wow  :o
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Martin_1962

« Reply #11 on: 19 July 2006, 13:40:54 »

jeeez, i know nothing of caravans but overtaking with one on tow....wow  :o

How about out accelerating people carriers!

SMS01

• Altrincham
  • Black Omega 3.0 manual estate 'P' reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 July 2006, 14:50:56 »

Thanks for the info folks,

Towing Weight - seems to depend where you look at, I have seen figures varying from 1450kgs to 1800kgs for a 3.0 elite estate.
I am not sure what my permitted towing weight is for my licence - I passed in '91 but am currently applying for my 6th renewal licence (medical issues) - I know I lost my 7.5ton permission in 2000, but wasn't aware of any limit on towing size.

Autofluid - Won't have to worry as have a manual box at present - would prefer an auto for towing though...

Speed - What is the permitted speed for a van - am I right in thinking 60 on a motorway and 50 on an A road?

Price, Make etc, all to be decided. Wondering whether to buy a reasonable old wreck to start off with and get used to it.

I have never actually towed a caravan before but have towed several different sized trailers including towing a twin wheel car trailer some years ago - remember it was a lot easier than the smaller ones, especially reversing.

I can imagine that the 3.0 engine would not really significantly notice a caravan behind it in terms of performance, probably lower running speeds wouldn't massively affect the economy too badly either (can't get much worse anyway).

Cheers
« Last Edit: 19 July 2006, 14:52:40 by SMS01 »

Martin_1962

« Reply #13 on: 19 July 2006, 15:03:49 »

Mway 60
A road 50

Nobody minds if you travel at limit though

peterjohn36

• Fareham
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 July 2006, 21:19:25 »

Have caravanned since the mid 1980's always used the larger cars and also a landrover 110 . Towed also with the last car mondeo 2ltr estate was okay but this was the smallest of all engines. Now to the point sold the van last year, traded in the mondy and bought the Omega, so now a real good tow car and no caravan, no we wont be going back to caravanning.

Pete

v6man54deg              Geffd

• Wirral Merseyside
  • V6 man
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 July 2006, 23:43:29 »

I also own a caravan although I don't own an Omega i have a V6 vectra - which tow's great, on makes and models - I have an Lunar - they are known for lightwieght vans - mine is around 17.5ft 5 berth but is only 1240 kg's well within the 85%.
I have towed vans for a good few years on and off - it can be quite a challenge at first but as long as your car is in good order you shouldn't have much of a problem. I would advise you join the caravan club - you can get a lot of advice from them plus they do caravan towing courses .
I have had old ones - the trouble is they look ok until you get on a site and you look like the Gypo lol, no they are usually have something wrong with them!!! just like old cars.

i bought a new one last year from a show - got a huge discount there too - I would recomend it, but don't buy a small one, they look huge until you go away in them.
Best to borrow / higher one before you commit to buy!!!!!
as for stabilisers - i use an alco one - it replaces the hitch on the caravan and uses brake pads on the tow hitch - by far the best type to use.

And as for cheap holiday - its not these days, your car will feel like a vauxhall Viva when towing but will drink juice like a V12 jag.

Cheers for any advice

Steve
V6 problems solved : Worked at the V6 Engine plant for 13 years on durability testing and warranty issues, this job included many trips to Russelsheim, Trollhattan, Michigan, Atlanta,keiserslaughtern.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 July 2006, 21:43:27 »

Ok all you caravan Gurus?? anyone any idea of the nose weight of a Hobby 25ft? looking at one and not sure whether to go for it or not???
will be towed by a TD (chipped whoosh!!!!) estate with airshocks
Omegatoy

Martin_1962

« Reply #17 on: 21 July 2006, 22:11:40 »

Ok all you caravan Gurus?? anyone any idea of the nose weight of a Hobby 25ft? looking at one and not sure whether to go for it or not???
Omegatoy

Wrong idea - you LOAD it to 75kg (ie use the contents as ballast) this is hte beest way.

Also why not use the other Omega as a tow car!!

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 July 2006, 21:28:59 »

Omegatoy

Wrong idea - you LOAD it to 75kg (ie use the contents as ballast) this is hte beest way.

Also why not use the other Omega as a tow car!!

Sorry mate by Nose weight i meant the all up weight to see if its within limits!!
Omegatoy

Martin_1962

« Reply #19 on: 23 July 2006, 21:53:31 »

Is it twin or single axle - any single axle will be fine

archermk

• Roundabout City, Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 July 2006, 22:06:31 »

I collected and towed my caravan yesterday behind the Omega for the first time. I almost forgot the caravan was there (except for the double hop over speed humps).

The most interesting part of the day was fitting & wiring up the towbar. I had it booked in at a place in Nuneaton earlier in the week to be fitted but they took one look at the LPG tank in the boot and declined. So DIY it was. I had to drill up into the cross member near the axle rather than down from inside the bonnet because of the tank. I placed a paving slab under the tank to stop the drill going too far up.

The towbar fitting took about 3 hours, taking it easy. But the electrics were a bit trickier. Incidentally does anyone know where I can get a color-code table for the wires in the loom at the rear of the boot. I've just got a couple to re-do.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 July 2006, 20:04:46 »

Is it twin or single axle - any single axle will be fine

Twin axle mate gonna tour Spain for 6 months to see if we like it, so need the room!!!
Omegatoy

Martin_1962

« Reply #22 on: 24 July 2006, 21:28:18 »

Find the weight and we will let you know

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 July 2006, 15:09:19 »

HI steve,

We tow a 2005 Swift Challenger 55OL single axle fixed bed  4 berth Model -
caravan weight unloaded = 1214kg.
caravan max weight loaded = 1432kg

I believe the van we have is probably one of the heaviest single axles around, the omega 2.6 pulls it like a dream, we tend to travel light and it is important you load the van evenly.

Ideally the weight ratio between the car and caravan according to the caravan club should be 85% but some  experienced caravanners do tow at 100% not recommended.

Obviously it's better if the cars kerbweight is higher than the caravan when the caravan is fully loaded.

How to work out the towing ratio =

Loaded caravan weight divided by car kerbweight x 100% = hopefully 85-90% or lower.

Mine works out - 1432kg divided by 1630kg x 100% = 87% if i load to the max and the unit is very stable.

useful links vehicle kerb weights http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/kerbweights.htm

A very good caravan forum  http://www.caravantalk.org.uk/index.php?act=idx

Another good tip is to weigh the car on a weigh bridge and even better the caravan if you can before you buy.

hope this helps.

regards dave.

« Last Edit: 25 July 2006, 15:44:41 by egcc »
Vauxhall Omega  2.6 CDXI Auto 2003 Saloon https://en-gb.facebook.com/TheDeadXiii
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.