Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diesels on Cooking Oil?  (Read 2161 times)

Sir_Mixalot

Diesels on Cooking Oil?
« on: 25 July 2006, 10:14:19 »

Hey,
Not sure if anyone remembers, but on Top Gear (maybe 5th Gear?) a while ago they ran a volvo estate diesel on used cooking oil thinned with a bit of meths.  It didn't seem to damage the engine and ran fine - I think they even got more mpg than diesel!

Has anyone had any experience with this? Even if you register it and pay the tax it still works out below half the price of diesel from a pump.

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
Re: Diesels on Cooking Oil?
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2006, 11:24:42 »

Ah People were doing this in the northeast i remember because the police were checking cars one time at the tyne tunnel to see if they were running Cooking oil and they would have to pay Tax for using it as fuel it was not loads but they would still have to pay tax.

From what I know about it, it has to be used Cooking Oil not new, and you have to add a small amount of White spirits or something like that.

I know that main problem is you have to flush the fuel system if you run Cooking Oil you cant just always run it on cooking oil as it gets blocked up so evey so many tanks you need to flush the fuel system and put Dev through If i remember rightly

Depends if you can be bothered cleaning out your fuel system ever other refill,

Craig
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

Sir_Mixalot

« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2006, 11:33:54 »

Maybe run it 2/3rds real diesel and 1/3rd cooking oil? That way you can save a third off your fuel bills (assuming you can get used cooking oil for free) and also not have to flush it through so often...time to get googling

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2006, 11:39:36 »

Plenty of info on the web......you do have to filter and dry it first and then add something like white spirits or meths to thin it a bit.....

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 July 2006, 13:23:51 »

There is also the little matter of you smelling like a mobile chippy too!  ;D

I know someone who has been doing it on their 2.5TD. No real problems, but he is smart enough to run 1 full tank of diesel every 4th tank.
The Administrator.

Sir_Mixalot

« Reply #5 on: 25 July 2006, 17:24:22 »

Do you know what he does to it between the fryer and the fuel tank?

Read about mixing it with a bit of meths/white spirit, then filtering it, not sure about quantaties or if it needs to be left to settle.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #6 on: 25 July 2006, 19:36:16 »

I looked at this a while ago.....well manufacturing bio diesel actually....iirc it worked out after paying the tax on it about 75ppl....it didnt seem worth the bother to me  :-/

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #7 on: 25 July 2006, 22:06:27 »

Absolutely don't do it! I had to covert my 2.5TD Estate back from the stuff. Nearly killed the car. Put good old diesel in and it was like a new car again.

Laidback, shame on you. You can't have forgotten the pungent odour we got from that damned car already have you? Sort of Birdseye fish finger whiff IIRC.  :-/
« Last Edit: 25 July 2006, 22:06:45 by RonaldMcBurger »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.