Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem after problem after...  (Read 19458 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Problem after problem after...
« Reply #135 on: 24 November 2019, 20:44:46 »

Fair point  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 26 November 2019, 07:32:06 »

Got in from work at about 8.30pm last night, (Miss DBG leaves for work at about 7am, I don't get back till about 8-9pm hence only time to work on the V6 is when days off coincide) so wasn't especially keen to fumble around in the dark fitting a jury-rigged earth wire  :) however, in a way glad I didnt, as she fired up absolutely fine this morning!  :o

Of course I'm not suggesting she's suddenly cured, but at least had I fitted it the evidence would be 'yes! that was the issue' So we'll see how she goes and probably Sat I'll do some more digging, got a couple of things to try thanks to you chaps.  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 28 November 2019, 00:52:04 »

Noticed Terry Paget had a similar issue not too long ago... could I get a second opinion from someone (link below)

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=138599.15

As I read it he appears to be suggesting there was a leak from one of the hoses going to the top of the fuel pump, due to use of jubbly clips, not fuel hose clips... mine are the 'proper' clips, however they have been off and on quite a few times, wondering if they've been bent / deformed once too many times.  :-\

Doesnt answer the random stall issue, but the slow start fits.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 28 November 2019, 09:42:02 »

I recall the fault well; jubille clip not sealing completely due to the female nut part of the clip being of fixed curvature. I suffered similarly recently on changing radiator and using 40-60 mm jubilee clips on 48mm pipes.
 In the fuel pump example, the leak was inside the pump so no fuel was lost, but the fuel line could drain overnight into the tank delaying morning engine start. It did not affect normal running.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 28 November 2019, 17:41:18 »

You are definitely right, DBG....

...this is becoming a 0-60 thread! 🤣
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 28 November 2019, 23:29:45 »

I recall the fault well; jubille clip not sealing completely due to the female nut part of the clip being of fixed curvature. I suffered similarly recently on changing radiator and using 40-60 mm jubilee clips on 48mm pipes.
 In the fuel pump example, the leak was inside the pump so no fuel was lost, but the fuel line could drain overnight into the tank delaying morning engine start. It did not affect normal running.

It would seem to fit all-too-coincidentally as this issue arose right after my replacing the fuel pump. I'm trying to find the correct size clic type clamps, though appreciate 'screwable' fuel hose clips (which I have elsewhere on a repaired section of corroded fuel line) would work just as well.

Mr The Bear... I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not! Still, at least it keeps us all chatting  ;D

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 09 December 2019, 07:22:35 »

Well, latest in the saga...

replaced the fuel hose clips with good quality stainless ones. The old clic type ones had been bent and distorted once to often looking at the removed ones (in spite of the correct type pliers used to undo them) anyway the numbers on them size 140 suggested ona website this is for 14-16mm hose. So I ordered some 14-16mm screw type fuel hose clips.

Fitted last night, started her up, primed fuel lines ready for this morning... still did the slow start!  >:( My question being....

just how tight are you supposed to do them? I did the ones internal to the tank what felt 'enough' with a fair amount of thread then protruding, the external ones seemed happy to go a bit tighter. Should the two flats of the hose clamp essentially be touching? Or have I ordered too large a size, in spite of my research?  :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 09 December 2019, 08:48:21 »

Touching suggests too big :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 09 December 2019, 09:25:50 »

Just checked my old ebay purchases, 15mm(outside diameter), and (presumably) 14-16mm clamps for the fuel line repair from last year. Would assume the other hoses, those just above and inside the tank are the same diameter (she's got the car all day/week now so can't check)

I bought 10 clamps, so I've just nipped a surplus one up and yes, 14-16mm is what it measures, and is what's stamped on it, so I havent been sent the wrong size or anything like that.

My plan is to give them a real nip up, essentially tight as they'll go - without stripping threads obviously - and see where we are then. Really need someone who's replaced theirs to confirm what size they used - can Mr Paget remember?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 09 December 2019, 10:25:43 »

They don't need to be particularly tight, once they've started to compress the hose then they should seal. Like Jubilee clips, using the smallest one(there's a big overlap in the sizes) works best.

Jubilee suggest that their clip in that size, tightened to 3.4Nm will hold 203psi of pressure. I've used them on numerous FI fuel lines with no problems.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 09 December 2019, 16:13:50 »

Hmm.. My only thought is that as these are old hoses, ie already 'squished' by previous clips, that their external diameter has shrunken somewhat  ??? But as you say Nick they shouldn't surely need to be all that tight, really.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 09 December 2019, 18:20:32 »

read the codes recently after i cleared them ?
on the list of DTCs was immobilizer fault, top of list
wonder if it's a case of the transponder not reading now n then  :-\
mine did that a few mornings ago, took the key out ,flipped it round and off it went  ::)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 09 December 2019, 19:05:20 »

I haven't mate, no. But not exactly rocket science to dig out the olde paperclip, so will report back.  :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 09 December 2019, 22:12:27 »

Just checked the fuel clips I bought last year... 13-15mm. Ugh!! I have a couple spare which I keep with a bit of nitrile hose in the boot.. Will reso the clips using these smaller ones, then. Just to confirm once and for all that fuel weeping is -or isn't- the cause of this starting issue.

Wish id realised I had several sat in my chuffing boot before I ordered ten, of the wrong size!! Bad luck and stupidity are hitting me a bit heavily of late...

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 26 April 2020, 01:46:06 »

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
Laying a rubber road.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.