Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you find out ? ?  (Read 5283 times)

ANDY8

• FAR FAR AWAY
  • V6 POWER
    • View Profile
How do you find out ? ?
« on: 12 July 2006, 20:11:02 »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you find out if your air -con compressor is oppsed??

The aircon was working yesterday and now the magnetic clutch is not engaging, What the hell is going on???

Checked that the compressor is getting power and all seems ok but still no compresssor kicking in??

Anyone pleeeeeeease

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
Re: How do you find out ? ?
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2006, 20:16:16 »

when the engine is running and you switch the compressor on does the engine drop its revs for a slipt secong and then pick back up?

That is normally a good sign of the compressor kicking in as is it casuing a drag on the engine

ANDY8

• FAR FAR AWAY
  • V6 POWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2006, 20:20:57 »

I can see the compressor from under the bonnet and the clutch is definetly not kicking on.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2006, 21:34:36 »

gas pressure? (they are ways to temp overide pressure switch just to prove, but if its low pressure, running for more than a few secs may damage compressor)
Grumpy old man

ANDY8

• FAR FAR AWAY
  • V6 POWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2006, 21:44:13 »

Will take another look in the morning to see whats what.

Cheers guys

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2006, 22:00:25 »

Can you turn the compressor by hand with the engine off......I suspect its the gas pressure has dropped and the low pressure switch has kicked in.

ANDY8

• FAR FAR AWAY
  • V6 POWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2006, 22:02:42 »

Yes the compressor will turn by hand when engine is off , But when running the compressor wheel is turning with the belt but not the clutch wheel.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2006, 22:04:59 »

Get the gas pressure checked, it might just want topping up as aircon systems do loose a bit of gas when oeprating noramly....

RolandL

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • M/facelift 2.5 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2006, 22:05:13 »

I had the very same problem recently.  Had comp not kicking in, had the system regased (only cost me £60) and so far (touch wood) everything back to normal.  Apparently according to the nice chap that did it, the Omega air con has 950gms of "gas" in it and you only have to loose about 35% (which you will over time anyway) for the pressure switch in the compressor not to activate.

It's worth checking the condensor (in front of rad) and pipes for any obvious signs of corrosion, before you regas, no good filling a leaky vessel.

HTH

:)
The faster you go the bigger the grin.  Trade card user.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 July 2006, 22:29:09 »

I had the very same problem recently.  Had comp not kicking in, had the system regased (only cost me £60) and so far (touch wood) everything back to normal.  Apparently according to the nice chap that did it, the Omega air con has 950gms of "gas" in it and you only have to loose about 35% (which you will over time anyway) for the pressure switch in the compressor not to activate.

It's worth checking the condensor (in front of rad) and pipes for any obvious signs of corrosion, before you regas, no good filling a leaky vessel.

HTH

:)

Indeed thats what i did, my first so called specalist i took mine too could not locate the leak, topped it up for me, but only worked for about a week or so. So its their fault I put more harmfull CS gasses into the world  :(

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 July 2006, 08:16:28 »

Similar problem with regarding the AC not sure if it just needs a topup. Had my car running yesterday turned the AC on and the compressor started clicking, there is still cold air and the top pipe is getting cold does it sound like its just in need of a refill its been like this for a while now and I want to get it sorted.

Whats the recommended to check the Compressor turning to see if it goes round with the engine off.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 July 2006, 08:39:50 »

SOudns liek it does indeed need a top up.

It was hot yesterday so the remaining gas will have expanded enough for it to kick in, its possible that once the compressor does kick in that the low side presure switch then drops out.....and repeats....

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 July 2006, 08:42:06 »

SOudns liek it does indeed need a top up.

It was hot yesterday so the remaining gas will have expanded enough for it to kick in, its possible that once the compressor does kick in that the low side presure switch then drops out.....and repeats....

Cheers Mark DTM

The AC problem has been on my list of things to do for a while now shall see about getting it regassed. Hopefully all will be well.

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 July 2006, 08:47:43 »

How 'fast' is the clicking?
If the system is low on refrigerant then it can cause a cycling where the clutch engages, compressor starts pumping, this causes a drop in pressure on the LP side, so LP switch opens which turns compressor off....and round we go again.
This would be 1 click every second at most.

Anything faster would have me thinking more of mechanical problems, bearings etc or compressor internals.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 July 2006, 09:50:21 »

The click is constant when the AC is turned on at a guess every second but could be a faulty bearing or something although when you turn the AC off the the clicking goes, and this to me, the bearing is fine because surely the clicking would carry on with the AC off what with it constanlty going round on the aux belt.

Hope this makes sense.

ANDY8

• FAR FAR AWAY
  • V6 POWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 July 2006, 22:28:42 »

well i found out why the aircon had stopped working,   I must have gone over some rough terrain and pulled the plug completely off the compressor from underneath ,

A few solders later and its all back working again, Just in time for the weekend heatwave

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 July 2006, 22:34:08 »

good result andy8 and free as well !! one job to do on mine is get the aircon system running  :(

ANDY8

• FAR FAR AWAY
  • V6 POWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 July 2006, 23:13:44 »

I think its more trouble than its worth sometimes,,, But hey if its there you just got to have it working right [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Stress,   No1 killer

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 July 2006, 09:33:54 »

Nixoro,

That sounds like a low pressure problem, cant hear it from here so hard to be sure [smiley=cheesy.gif]

Watch the compressor clutch plate carefully, if the pressure switch is cutting in and out you should see the compressor speed varying as the clutch engages or releases. You may even be able to see the clutch plate move slightly as it releases from the pulley then clamps to it again.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 July 2006, 09:38:11 »

Nixoro,

That sounds like a low pressure problem, cant hear it from here so hard to be sure [smiley=cheesy.gif]

Watch the compressor clutch plate carefully, if the pressure switch is cutting in and out you should see the compressor speed varying as the clutch engages or releases. You may even be able to see the clutch plate move slightly as it releases from the pulley then clamps to it again.

Shall have a look at the weekend, if its doing this am I right in thinking it just needs a regas.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.