Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Oven Chips  (Read 5654 times)

STEMO

Re: Oven Chips
« Reply #15 on: 04 December 2019, 19:49:29 »

In the good old days people would return from the pub after 17 pints of 'wifebeater' and think it a good idea to cut up some spuds and put them in a wire basket with some lard or cooking oil, before falling asleep on the sofa.

Apparently some of the bodies were burned beyond recognition once the fire had been put out. :)

That's exactly what happened to some of my Mums family about 20 years ago. Son came home late from the pub. Put the chip pan on and sat down to watch TV while it heated up,then fell asleep. His parents, sister and sisters baby were all upstairs in bed.
The firemen found the four bodies huddled together in the corner of a bedroom, presumably to try and escape the smoke and hope someone would rescue them.
They had no chance of getting down the stairs, and the upstairs windows were all long thin slits that a person couldn't possibly climb through.
I believe the son ended up on the funny farm because he couldn't live with the guilt. Whoever designed the houses probably didn't lose a wink of sleep though.
That's truly awful. When you think about the difference in the way we live now to only, say, 60 years ago, it's like a different world. To the very young of today, we are history.

The house in question was quite modern. Built in the late 60,s iirc. Bloody scandalous to put that design of windows in a house then.
The Father of the family who was killed in the fire had to be the unluckiest bloke alive. When he was younger he worked in Belfast shipyard. He was walking across the deck of a partially built ship in the dar, and someone had forgotten to put a plate over a hole in the deck. He fell down it and fell 70 feet, his arms and legs catching on the girders etc. on the way down. His arms and legs were an awful mess and he never worked again. Then about 20 years later, he died in the fire.
As my old Mum used to say, when your feeling down, remember theres always someone worse off than yourself.
These days, although disabled, he would have been awarded a huge sum of money. Another big difference in today's world.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 December 2019, 19:50:03 »

I was gonna tell you, then I thought....an 'oven chip' thread....no  ;D

Aw go on Uncle STEMO!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #17 on: 04 December 2019, 19:54:42 »

I was gonna tell you, then I thought....an 'oven chip' thread....no  ;D

Aw go on Uncle STEMO!  :)
Asda home fries. Very crispy.  ;D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 December 2019, 20:49:51 »

oven chips are like cardboard
I either have em from a chip shop or fried in fat or beef dripping  as god intended  ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 December 2019, 20:54:57 »

Christmas 1983 we locked the door of our married quarter & drove home for Christmas. When we opened the door 10 days later, the first thing we could smell was chip pan oil ..... we'd left the electric deep fat fryer on for 10 days!!!  :o :o :o Fortunately it was on the lowest setting but none the less we shudder to think what could have happened over Christmas while we were away!  :-[ :-[

STEMO

« Reply #20 on: 04 December 2019, 21:17:27 »

Christmas 1983 we locked the door of our married quarter & drove home for Christmas. When we opened the door 10 days later, the first thing we could smell was chip pan oil ..... we'd left the electric deep fat fryer on for 10 days!!!  :o :o :o Fortunately it was on the lowest setting but none the less we shudder to think what could have happened over Christmas while we were away!  :-[ :-[
About 30 years ago I put a chicken breast in the oven, on the lowest temperature, and went for a pint. It turned into a three day bender and, when I got home, I could, of course, smell chicken. Shit! I went to the oven, no smoke, opened up and it was almost perfect. A bit dry but went down well with a buttie and a cup of tea.  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 December 2019, 21:29:39 »

About 30 years ago I put a chicken breast in the oven, on the lowest temperature, and went for a pint. It turned into a three day bender and, when I got home, I could, of course, smell chicken. Shit! I went to the oven, no smoke, opened up and it was almost perfect. A bit dry but went down well with a buttie and a cup of tea.  ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 December 2019, 21:30:20 »

Only chips worse than oven chips are the microwave ones...….both types should be banned from sale :-X

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 December 2019, 21:33:23 »

Chip shop chips done proper in dripping 8)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 December 2019, 21:38:31 »

I quite like oven chips.  Is there something wrong with me?  :-\                                                                                                         ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04 December 2019, 21:40:18 »

Chip shop chips done proper in dripping 8)

Not many done in dripping though ....

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 December 2019, 21:40:47 »

I quite like oven chips.  Is there something wrong with me?  :-\                                                                                                         ::)  ;D

Of course there is ....  ::)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 December 2019, 21:50:15 »

Ovens are for doing jacket potatoes or roast potatoes on a Sunday not for doing chips.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 December 2019, 21:52:56 »

if you cook your oven chips in lard, beef dripping or oil in a deep fat fryer then no  :y
if you cook them in the oven ,save yourself some cash........
 go out early on bin day and get some cardboard out of everyone's re-cycling  ,cut into strips ,enjoy  :P

STEMO

« Reply #29 on: 04 December 2019, 22:31:51 »

Nothing wrong with us, Sir Tig, and we can sit here watching all the fat bastards fall off their perches one by one.  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.