Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air Con No Heat Passenger Side Only  (Read 1339 times)

Stokey

• View Profile
Air Con No Heat Passenger Side Only
« on: 01 December 2007, 18:50:27 »

Hi Guys Can Any One Help With The Problem Of No Heat From The Air Con Unit On The Passenger Side "Only" Of My 01 Plate 2.6 CDX, As It Is The Wrong Time Of Year For The Wife To Have Chapped Legs And Freezing Ankles.

Also Any Idea As To What The Problem Might Be When The Dash Display Reads "Low Beam FLD/Vision"

I Have Only Had The Car A Couple Of Days So Any Advice Would Be Greatly Appreciated

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Air Con No Heat Passenger Side Only
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2007, 18:53:06 »

Hi Guys Can Any One Help With The Problem Of No Heat From The Air Con Unit On The Passenger Side "Only" Of My 01 Plate 2.6 CDX, As It Is The Wrong Time Of Year For The Wife To Have Chapped Legs And Freezing Ankles.

Also Any Idea As To What The Problem Might Be When The Dash Display Reads "Low Beam FLD/Vision"

I Have Only Had The Car A Couple Of Days So Any Advice Would Be Greatly Appreciated

The climate issue, other have had similar, usually the arm from servo come off. Hopefully someone can clarify further.

The display warning - means the headlight automatic levelling has failed. Either the sensor arm on the N/S front wishbone or rear trailing arm has popped off, or the servo motors in the headlight have seized.
Grumpy old man

Stokey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2007, 21:20:39 »

Thanks For The Info But Could Please Advise Me As To The Servo/Arm Location And Best Access Route
To Correct The No Heat Problem On the Passenger Side.

Thanks Again: Stokey

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 December 2007, 23:01:03 »

Thanks For The Info But Could Please Advise Me As To The Servo/Arm Location And Best Access Route

Hopefully someone can - I've never done it myself...
Grumpy old man

miggy

« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2007, 02:29:20 »

Hiya
Had this problem, this is what i had to do. It may not be the same for you but worth a go.

under the dash in the footwell on the passenger side, to the side of the ashtray you will see a black plastic cover, pop this cover off and you will see the small silver motor, this operates the flaps for air distribution, behind the motor is a black plastic arm which is connected to the flaps and to the luggs on the motor, in my case the arm had popped off the motor luggs, i had to purchase new as the luggs had worn. Put your hand up to the back of the motor and try to move the black arm, if it moves easily it has come adrift, it is not easy to see or get hold of so use a torch, the motor can be removed by removing the 3 torx screws, have a play and keep us informed.

:y :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2007, 10:17:04 »

And if you can take some photos and write a short guide ;)
Grumpy old man

miggy

« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2007, 14:09:28 »

And if you can take some photos and write a short guide ;)

Will do TB, need to finish cleaning the caravan first then i will put photos up.
 ;D :y :y

bates1963

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2007, 17:11:06 »

Hi,

I've had exactly the same problem with my Omega.

I had a look at it this morning and, just as suggested, the plastic arm had come off the motor (the arm was easily moved up and down showing it was loose).

It took about an hour of fiddling to get it back on but now it's all up and running fine - lovely hot air again!

Here's a few tips that I learnt doing it:

1) Push the front passenger seat all the way back and recline it fully (you'll be working with your feet in the back of the car and your head in the footwell so you'll need loads of room).

2) Remove the piece of black trim that lies under the glovebox - it's held on with 3 plastic screws (flat blade) which only need to be turned half a turn - the trim is just clipped on at the back and can be pulled out once those 3 screws are undone.

3) The end of the centre consol can be eased up gently and lifted away from it's bracket - DON'T pull it too far out as it will break easily (you can place a hammer or something simlar behind it to keep it out of the way by a few inches).

4) You'll need a torch to see properly, but you'll find the motor on the right side of the passenger footwell just above the end of the centre consol - look for a black plactic 'cap' about 1.5 inches in diameter with an electric connector joined to it on the bottom right as you look at it - This black cover can be gently prised off with a screwdriver to reveal the silver-coloured motor beneath.

5) Push your finger down behind the back of the motor and you'll find/see the plastic arm travelling down behind it from way above - check to see if you can move it around freely - if so it's probably come off the motor.

6) I removed the 'star' screws (sometimes known as security screws) holding it on to ease the motor away and give a bit more room. I had to buy a screwdriver set from Focus DIY (£4.18 I think) as I didn't have one with star bits- you'll need one if you want to remove it! Once I'd had a look behind it to see where the arm had to go I screwed it back on but left it slightly loose to give a bit more room to work.

7) I found that when the engine/aircon are turned off the spindle (to which you attach the arm) is at the bottom of the back of the motor - so I had the engine running and aircon on - which meant the motor turned and bought the spindle up to the top of the back of the motor - easier to get to. Be very careful careful that you don't knock the car into gear doing this as it could be dangerous - mine's an auto).

8) After a lot of attempts the I got the arm to pop back onto the spindle but it didn't have a solid 'click' as it went back on - so it may be worn and may come off again.  Someone had already had the motor off before me as there was one screw missing.

9) I tested it out and the hot air came blasting through as it should! I then fully tightened the motor down. It looks to me as though there is a small slot in the plastic cover where the arm should go through during manufacture - so don't force the cover back on all the way when you've finished as you may knock the arm off agin - and have to start from scratch!

10) Reassemble in reverse order and hopefully it's job done!  I was quoted upto £900 at my local Vauxhall dealership and I cured it for under £5!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck and I hope this helps.

Mike

miggy

« Reply #8 on: 02 December 2007, 17:17:08 »

Hi,

I've had exactly the same problem with my Omega.

I had a look at it this morning and, just as suggested, the plastic arm had come off the motor (the arm was easily moved up and down showing it was loose).

It took about an hour of fiddling to get it back on but now it's all up and running fine - lovely hot air again!

Here's a few tips that I learnt doing it:

1) Push the front passenger seat all the way back and recline it fully (you'll be working with your feet in the back of the car and your head in the footwell so you'll need loads of room).

2) Remove the piece of black trim that lies under the glovebox - it's held on with 3 plastic screws (flat blade) which only need to be turned half a turn - the trim is just clipped on at the back and can be pulled out once those 3 screws are undone.

3) The end of the centre consol can be eased up gently and lifted away from it's bracket - DON'T pull it too far out as it will break easily (you can place a hammer or something simlar behind it to keep it out of the way by a few inches).

4) You'll need a torch to see properly, but you'll find the motor on the right side of the passenger footwell just above the end of the centre consol - look for a black plactic 'cap' about 1.5 inches in diameter with an electric connector joined to it on the bottom right as you look at it - This black cover can be gently prised off with a screwdriver to reveal the silver-coloured motor beneath.

5) Push your finger down behind the back of the motor and you'll find/see the plastic arm travelling down behind it from way above - check to see if you can move it around freely - if so it's probably come off the motor.

6) I removed the 'star' screws (sometimes known as security screws) holding it on to ease the motor away and give a bit more room. I had to buy a screwdriver set from Focus DIY (£4.18 I think) as I didn't have one with star bits- you'll need one if you want to remove it! Once I'd had a look behind it to see where the arm had to go I screwed it back on but left it slightly loose to give a bit more room to work.

7) I found that when the engine/aircon are turned off the spindle (to which you attach the arm) is at the bottom of the back of the motor - so I had the engine running and aircon on - which meant the motor turned and bought the spindle up to the top of the back of the motor - easier to get to. Be very careful careful that you don't knock the car into gear doing this as it could be dangerous - mine's an auto).

8) After a lot of attempts the I got the arm to pop back onto the spindle but it didn't have a solid 'click' as it went back on - so it may be worn and may come off again.  Someone had already had the motor off before me as there was one screw missing.

9) I tested it out and the hot air came blasting through as it should! I then fully tightened the motor down. It looks to me as though there is a small slot in the plastic cover where the arm should go through during manufacture - so don't force the cover back on all the way when you've finished as you may knock the arm off agin - and have to start from scratch!

10) Reassemble in reverse order and hopefully it's job done!  I was quoted upto £900 at my local Vauxhall dealership and I cured it for under £5!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck and I hope this helps.

Mike

Glad you sorted it, i will be posting pictures soon

:y :y :y

Stokey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 December 2007, 20:32:34 »

Hi Guys You Are Sooooooooooooooooooooooo Good
 A Great Big Thank You To All Who Have Given Advice On This Problem As I Have Taken Time Out Today To Fix What Was A Detached Servo Arm Causing The Problem.
Having Removed The Servo Unit I Found That The "Lugs" On The Cam Were Worn So I Drilled A 2mm Hole Through The Centre And Secured A Small Cheese Head Screw The Head Of The Screw Being The Same Diameter As The Lugs To Ensure That At Re-Fit Everything Snapped Back Into Place With The Right Tolerance And Greater Security On Movement.

Thanks Again For Everything
Stokey

PS: "To The Boy"  I Did Take Some Photos But Have Not Yet Fathomed Out How To Attach To The Site

miggy

« Reply #10 on: 06 December 2007, 17:04:14 »

Hi Guys You Are Sooooooooooooooooooooooo Good
 A Great Big Thank You To All Who Have Given Advice On This Problem As I Have Taken Time Out Today To Fix What Was A Detached Servo Arm Causing The Problem.
Having Removed The Servo Unit I Found That The "Lugs" On The Cam Were Worn So I Drilled A 2mm Hole Through The Centre And Secured A Small Cheese Head Screw The Head Of The Screw Being The Same Diameter As The Lugs To Ensure That At Re-Fit Everything Snapped Back Into Place With The Right Tolerance And Greater Security On Movement.

Thanks Again For Everything
Stokey

PS: "To The Boy"  I Did Take Some Photos But Have Not Yet Fathomed Out How To Attach To The Site

Glad you sorted it, as i said mine had worn and could not be modified.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.