Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade MFL from projectors to HIDS  (Read 3483 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Upgrade MFL from projectors to HIDS
« on: 13 February 2015, 10:59:27 »

Has anyone done this? I can't find a How to in the guides so any info would be helpful. :y

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrade MFL from projectors to HIDS
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2015, 11:03:49 »

Its a lot of work as you need to add washers and self levelling.....

Some will say you don't - but you really do if you don't want to blind other road users.
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2015, 12:47:34 »

Just to clarify the HIDs are only for Low Beam, they still use the Projectors for High Beam.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2015, 12:55:53 »

Has anyone done this? I can't find a How to in the guides so any info would be helpful. :y
Easy enough to do Chris
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2015, 13:38:43 »

Yes, fairly straight forward job - with all the relevant bits, of course, and plenty of time. However, I can only repeat what steve6367 says - you are supposed to have the self-levelling system as well, as you will dazzle other road users. I was momentarily blinded on the drive home from work, down a residential street, very dark, very widely spaced street lamps - only after a couple of blinks and my vision started to make sense of the gloom, to see a pedestrian walking brazenly across the road, staring straight ahead, oblivious to my presence. If we're joking, then ha ha, hit the bugger. Being a tad more serious, I would prefer not to have the guy's serious injuries or worse on my conscience. All because some moron think its ok to leave his main beam on.  >:(

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2015, 13:49:15 »

Sounds like too much work for me, as I would prefer not to dazzle other road users. :( :( :(

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2015, 14:10:22 »

You need to swap the levelling motors from the original lamps, that way you retain some level control.

Wiring needs the following mod...

Dipped beam pos needs removing from main wiring plug and diverting to the ballast plug pos. Main ground wire needs doubling up, with extra wire connecting to ballast neg.

Job jobbed :y

Obviously headlight washers are also technically required, but, if you can get the parts, should be easy enough to retrofit...

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2015, 14:16:58 »

Yeah, it's really not that much - and, to think laterally, you could install the levelling sensors on the front and rear wheels and wiring on one day, which can then sit there for any amount of time, until you've got the time free to do the headlamp changeover. As Taxi Al says, you could also treat the pressure washers as a separate job, too. So if it helps, break it down into three jobs.

That said, I've deliberated for a while about converting tp Xenons and I've decided to go down the nightbreaker route, instead.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2015, 15:45:11 »

Yeah, it's really not that much - and, to think laterally, you could install the levelling sensors on the front and rear wheels and wiring on one day, which can then sit there for any amount of time, until you've got the time free to do the headlamp changeover. As Taxi Al says, you could also treat the pressure washers as a separate job, too. So if it helps, break it down into three jobs.

That said, I've deliberated for a while about converting tp Xenons and I've decided to go down the nightbreaker route, instead.  :)
There's a bit more to the auto levelling than a couple of sensors... ::) xenon units also have an ecu.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2015, 16:13:49 »

All I was suggesting was to install as many of the parts 'dry' - so do as much as you can without actually unplugging the existing lights. Just might make the whole job that bit more manageable than treating is as one single job, to be done in a day - and if, for whatever reason, you don't finish, then you've got a car that has no working headlights.   :y

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2015, 16:42:52 »

My reply was a bit brief... Was waiting on a customer when I typed ::)

Perfectly doable as a 'factory' retrofit but best attempted with a complete spares car :y headlight levelling ecu is a similar size to the engine ecu and lives bolted to the outside of the rh inner wing behind the front indicator :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 February 2015, 16:43:55 »

Thanks for that guys, as I only have one lamp at the moment, I don't think I'll bother. I've got Nightbreakers anyway, and don't do much night driving these days. :y :y :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 February 2015, 16:52:21 »

My reply was a bit brief... Was waiting on a customer when I typed ::)

Perfectly doable as a 'factory' retrofit but best attempted with a complete spares car :y headlight levelling ecu is a similar size to the engine ecu and lives bolted to the outside of the rh inner wing behind the front indicator :y

No probs.  :y Agreed, best to have another up the drive when attempting it. Actually as the V6 nears completion I am in twominds what to do with the Turbno Weasel - MoT runs out in April, and really without being mean it's never going to be a show-winner. Might offer the engine, and strip off some parts, such as the Xenons, maybe. Then let Mr Scrappy man take it. Alternatively if I can get the V6 done before MoT runs out, offer it on here for a couple of hundred as basically a working BMW engine with free car, means no messing with a trailer.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 February 2015, 16:52:59 »

Thanks for that guys, as I only have one lamp at the moment, I don't think I'll bother. I've got Nightbreakers anyway, and don't do much night driving these days. :y :y :y

So aside from you thinking of upgrading to the Xenons, how do you like the Nightbreakers?  :)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 February 2015, 18:47:13 »

Well I do have the 3.2 Elite for night work if pressed, and to be fair the TD with Nightbreakers is fine for the distances I travel. I was foolishly hoping for a Plug and Play option. ::) ::) ::)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.