Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aerial compatibility - facelift estate  (Read 2391 times)

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
Aerial compatibility - facelift estate
« on: 29 March 2015, 22:37:27 »

I need a replacement base and antenna for my fl elite estate ( with spoiler).
I have the metal, screw fit (I think) connectors, rather than blue plastic.

First question - would one off a mfl breaker fit? 

Beyond that, any guidance as to how to source this much appreciated :)
It would help a lot to know what age of breaker to look for, or other vehicles which would work.

I dont care too much about cosmetics as long as it works.  Also dont care about GPS, phone if thats a factor.

Cheers
Ian

kev2b4

• Luton, Beds
    • 2.5 CDX ,2.5 tourer
    • View Profile
Re: Aerial compatibility - facelift estate
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2015, 07:55:52 »

I've got a FL estate- aerial thread was M5 , on my tourer estate - ( S reg so I guess is a MFL/PFL) thread is  M6 ( but have got a bit of 316StSt studding in it ) - however lead to back of radio is broken.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 April 2015, 12:53:04 »

I need a replacement base and antenna for my fl elite estate ( with spoiler).
I have the metal, screw fit (I think) connectors, rather than blue plastic.

First question - would one off a mfl breaker fit? 

Beyond that, any guidance as to how to source this much appreciated :)
It would help a lot to know what age of breaker to look for, or other vehicles which would work.

I dont care too much about cosmetics as long as it works.  Also dont care about GPS, phone if thats a factor.

Cheers
Ian

Pictures would help.
Its normally the solder that breaks from the Ariel base to circuit board.
Put a wanted advert up.
You might have a pfl base by sounds of it.
Hoof'land storeman.

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2015, 15:12:08 »

OK this is the base on the car..

There are three metal screw fitting coax connectors (even though you only see two on the pic - access is rather limited - and a single wire.  I assume that wire is power to an integrated amplifier, and the three signals are radio, phone, and gps - at least I cant think of anything else.

I only really need the radio.   

This is the breaker part I got.  I am prepared to knife and fork it unless there is a more elegant solution.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2015, 15:52:08 »

First off, the Bases are different, 1. Saloon GPS (Sat) & GSM (Phone) both 50ohm cables, 2. Estate GPS and FM (Radio) one 50ohm and one 75/300ohm cables, and another 3. Estate GPS, FM and GSM 2 x 50ohm cables and 1 x 75ohm cable, and then the Antenna Whip is different, 1. Saloon GSM, Estate 2 FM, and Estate 3 FM and GSM. if all that makes sense.

So continue where did the breaker come from?, looks to me that it could 1 or 2, and Im guessing yours is 3.

If its from a 1. Saloon, you wont have FM, if its from a 2. Estate, you wont have GSM. If its the later you can fit it (no phone) but it must have the correct whip with it. you will have to pin out the centre pin (buzz it) to the outer threaded part of the whip. 

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 April 2015, 16:28:02 »

Thanks Zirk - very comprehensive.   Amazing there are so many permutations.

So I think the car is a type 3.
The breaker part (came with the car so no idea what the donor was) is 1 or 2 as you say.  My old saloon (mfl) has a completely different stubby aerial which I always thought was GSM (or GPS?) only, FM being in the rear window.  Are the fl saloons different?  Visually the breaker base looks similar to the one on the car, apart from the cables.

I don't have a whip at all -either with the car or the breaker base.   Is that going to be a mare to source?   I see loads of aftermarket whips on ebay - I am assuming they are FM.  Need to have another look.

I don't quite follow:
you will have to pin out the centre pin (buzz it) to the outer threaded part of the whip. 
what do you mean by the centre pin?  and apart from continuity what am I looking for?

Cheers,
Ian

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 April 2015, 17:55:15 »

Thanks Zirk - very comprehensive.   Amazing there are so many permutations.

So I think the car is a type 3.

My guess also if your have sat and phone in the Estate (NCDC2015 with Nokia Telematics in the glove box?)

My old saloon (mfl) has a completely different stubby aerial which I always thought was GSM (or GPS?) only, FM being in the rear window.  Are the fl saloons different?  Visually the breaker base looks similar to the one on the car, apart from the cables.
Correct, stubby aerial is GSM (1/4wave whip roughly 3 inchs) GPS will be in the Base (Oval type not the standard base) and correct again FM via the rear screen.

FL Saloons the same, although no idea whether same part number, believe connectors may be different (or at least the plastic housing).

I don't have a whip at all -either with the car or the breaker base.   Is that going to be a mare to source?   I see loads of aftermarket whips on ebay - I am assuming they are FM.  Need to have another look.

The whip for the Estate is FM (FM and GSM on number 3, but we will forget about that for the moment) The whip is about a foot long (1/4 wave wire wrapped around a fibre glass rod) there all similar on the VX range but may have different thread size (as said the FM / GSM os different again on the MIgs).

I don't quite follow:
you will have to pin out the centre pin (buzz it) to the outer threaded part of the whip. 
what do you mean by the centre pin?  and apart from continuity what am I looking for?
Continuity test, yes (ie buzz it), the cable outer (screen) is a common ground (all cable are earthed to the metal Base) so that wont tell you much, so you will have to buzz the centre pin to find out which one goes to the threaded whip, the other cable will be GPS which goes to the GPS input cct pcb inside the Base, If your carefull and know what your doing, you can take the base apart and physically see which one goes where if your careful. warning there's a screw inside the threaded whip part that needs to be removed or your break the connection to GSM or FM.

Then you just need to work out what base you have, Saloon or Estate, as said the Saloon will have 2 x 50 ohm cables with 50 Ohm connectors, some were screw type (FME from memory) and some are Farka push fit (again different). on the Estate same deal except the FM will be 75 ohm cable and different 75 ohm connector, slight clue hear the FM 75 ohm cable should slightly thicker (not much) than the 50 ohm one.   
« Last Edit: 21 April 2015, 18:00:14 by zirk »

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 April 2015, 21:19:07 »

Looking at the photos, the base with the blue fme connection is for an estate with phone and radio, using a long whippy, the base you have in first picture looks like phone,satnav,radio. I could be Wong, my estate(02) no nav, has the base with the blue fme connection (think 2nd picture).
Hoof'land storeman.

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2015, 22:01:21 »

Strip the base from both your current and proposed aerials... And compare innards...

Then desolder both and resolder your new base to your existing loom... Test then reassemble :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.