Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heated seats  (Read 1431 times)

marleyy

• Lincoln
    • Omega 2.2 CD saloon
    • View Profile
Heated seats
« on: 27 April 2015, 17:01:48 »

Hello everyone,
I took my new car out on Saturday to show it off to my daughter. Having read the owners' manual that another member very kindly pointed me to on my first day, we were looking at all the things it could do.  I mentioned that it had heated seats, so she tried hers, and was very impressed. She suggested that I try mine, so she turned it on to  #5 for me.  Nothing happened at first, then it got decidedly warm, so I turned it down again.  By the time I realised something was wrong I was incoherent and she asked whether I wanted to turn it up to #5 again.  I managed to say "turn it off" and " I've got to get out", stopped the car, jumped out and enjoyed the cool, damp air on my burnt rear-end. Is this a common problem?  Should I take the fuses out?  I hope no-one is laughing!!!

Serjiouz

• Uzbekistan, Tashkent
    • Opel Omega-B, 2000, 3.0L,
    • View Profile
Re: Heated seats
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2015, 18:00:02 »

Hi Marleyy!
I had a similar problem. I think this is a trouble amount of Omega's, because I saw like more than once.
Spiral heating element will eventually wear out, especially in the field of cross-linking. On velor trim can even burn together with soft filler. Simply do not use his power button.
  I was repairing my heating by myself, but it's out of despair. It's need to change, because it is comfortable.

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2015, 20:14:25 »

The heater element can be removed, but is fiddly, although easier with cloth seats... the element panel is stiched into the leather ones ::)

Easiest solution is to not switch it on, but if needs must, use the lower settings and turn it off once it begins to get warm... should still be enough to take the edge of the chilly mornings :y

marleyy

• Lincoln
    • Omega 2.2 CD saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2015, 07:56:35 »

Thank you for the replies. I'll do as suggested and turn it off before it gets too hot in future.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2015, 09:08:53 »

Be interested to know exactly how the heated seats work - in terms of thermostat-type switches etc... PFLs have simple on/off, but FLs having the temperature-controlled system it was often a pipe dream/pet idea of mine to try and install temperature control on a PFL seat, if that's possible. I'd assume there's something in the seat itself, rather than somewhere in the car's wiring loom.

Reason I waffle like this is - if that temperature-controlling component has become inaccurate/started to fail, could a replacement be soldered/plugged in place? The amount of seats that get binned on here, has anyone ever taken one apart?
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2015, 09:43:02 »

Doable but requires the wiring and switches from facelift as they're totally different...

If seriously considering this, change the whole dash and centre console for simplicity with one from the same engine/gearbox combo as yours... The reason being that the loom is assembled into the dash and swapping dash is easier than retrofitting the entire dash loom, especially when you consider that the switches, instruments and dash layout are different... :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.