Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: waiting for AA recovery  (Read 13927 times)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
Re: waiting for AA recovery
« Reply #30 on: 17 April 2018, 10:15:22 »

Thanks to everyone for wishing us well.

The Galaxy has returned.

The local garage are booked up solid until next week so I suppose I am going to have to fix it  :( (and rediscover the sad truth that 50% of the bolts on a VAG TDi are B-starred-bolts >:(

When the pump failed did it shed its timing belt ?
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17 April 2018, 10:40:41 »

I expect that the pump impeller has come loose on the shaft.

To get to the pump the cam belt has to come off.

To get to the cam belt the engine mount, air filter and various covers have to come off. There isn't enough space to get a ratchet in to the engine mount bolts (in fact there isn't enough space to get the engine mount out in one piece so it has to be bolted together)

I fitted a new pump and cambelt kit last year. Pump and cambelt kit came from GSF but I don't know if I will be able to find the receipt

I feel that I am lacking some trade knowledge about where to get good quality parts for a VW in a (Ford frock) at decent prices.

I have lost confidence in GSF but I don't know of a better supplier :-\
« Last Edit: 17 April 2018, 10:53:54 by Andy H »
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 17 April 2018, 10:56:22 »

The Galaxy has returned.

The local garage are booked up solid until next week so I suppose I am going to have to fix it  :( (and rediscover the sad truth that 50% of the bolts on a VAG TDi are B-starred-bolts >:(

No - engine still running fine with no loss of power

The dash lit up like a Christmas tree and I pulled over to the hard shoulder as quick as I could. There is an auxiliary coolant pump that runs on for a few minutes and I am hoping that it has allowed the engine to cool evenly and avoid permanent damage to head or head gasket :-\

The AA man confirmed my snap diagnosis by disconnecting the little hose to the top of the expansion bottle and getting me to rev the engine. He didn't get the anticipated jet of coolant
« Last Edit: 17 April 2018, 10:59:48 by Andy H »

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 17 April 2018, 14:54:09 »

The Galaxy has returned.

The dash lit up like a Christmas tree and I pulled over to the hard shoulder as quick as I could. There is an auxiliary coolant pump that runs on for a few minutes and I am hoping that it has allowed the engine to cool evenly and avoid permanent damage to head or head gasket :-\

The AA man confirmed my snap diagnosis by disconnecting the little hose to the top of the expansion bottle and getting me to rev the engine. He didn't get the anticipated jet of coolant

Result,genuine pump isn't a fortune from memory,probably cheaper at Ford than VW though :y
other rides 

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 17 April 2018, 16:37:44 »

The Galaxy has returned.

Result,genuine pump isn't a fortune from memory,probably cheaper at Ford than VW though :y
Can you recommend where best to get genuine Ford parts in the Plymouth area?

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 17 April 2018, 17:07:33 »

The Galaxy has returned.

http://www.vospers.com/our-company/dealerships/plymouth/

Don't think there's anywhere else tbh
other rides 

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 17 April 2018, 17:18:05 »

The Galaxy has returned.

http://www.vospers.com/our-company/dealerships/plymouth/

Don't think there's anywhere else tbh
OK thanks for confirming that Vospers are the only show in town.

The presence of all the other car brands had me doubting that they were the Ford franchise holders  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 17 April 2018, 17:24:59 »

The Galaxy has returned.
:y

I know its a silly worry, but I found it was a big relief when the car was back with me.

Now you just need to fix the damn thing ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 17 April 2018, 17:27:24 »

I feel that I am lacking some trade knowledge about where to get good quality parts for a VW in a (Ford frock) at decent prices.
I haven't really used in anger, only picked stuff up for mates, but I work near a TPS, who I believe are a bit like TC for VW?
Grumpy old man

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 17 April 2018, 18:12:58 »

I haven't really used in anger, only picked stuff up for mates, but I work near a TPS, who I believe are a bit like TC for VW?
I was intending to give TPS a try but I won't be surprised if they they get a bit sniffy about dealing with a Ford

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 17 April 2018, 18:21:14 »

I was intending to give TPS a try but I won't be surprised if they they get a bit sniffy about dealing with a Ford
The worse they can say is no sir....
Grumpy old man

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 18 April 2018, 22:04:15 »

The worse they can say is no sir....
Which is exactly what they did say.

First question was 'what garage are you calling from?'

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 18 April 2018, 22:08:08 »

The Galaxy has returned.

£101.14 apparently. I thought that was a bit steep.

They don't have them in stock either so I went back to GSF and bought a different brand to the one that failed.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 18 April 2018, 23:43:14 »

The Galaxy has returned.

£101.14 apparently. I thought that was a bit steep.

They don't have them in stock either so I went back to GSF and bought a different brand to the one that failed.

What was the one that  failed,even genuine have been known to shed impeller.

Edit  over a ton is bloody steep
other rides 

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 19 April 2018, 07:06:49 »

The one that failed was a Vetech which I now realise is GSF own brand which cost £22.

The one I have just bought is an INA (£45.90 +vat).

I imagine that if I had a trade account at Vospers I might have got the genuine part for half the list price :-\
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.