Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Skydiving  (Read 2992 times)

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
Skydiving
« on: 05 September 2006, 18:18:46 »

Nooooo....not me!! Going to Chatteris airfield tomorrow with my son who's having his first skydive - a tandem jump with a professional from 13500 feet and free falling for the first 5000 feet :o Much as I like adrenalin inducing activities, skydiving ain't one of them - why anyone should want to launch themselves out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft is beyond me ::)

All this of course will be dependant on the good old British weather - this will be the second attempt as the last time the weather scuppered the day >:(

Anyone else tried it and lived to tell the tale?

I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

Taxi_Driver

Re: Skydiving
« Reply #1 on: 05 September 2006, 18:31:40 »

Not quite that high  :o

Ive done 4 thousand from a static line  :) I enjoyed it......so much so I wanted to go up again.....but the wind got up and wasnt allowed  :(

We had steerable chutes and headsets.....a guy on the ground told you which cord to pull if you went too far away from the landing zone

Good day out  :)

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 September 2006, 18:42:11 »

I wish him all the best bob, never tried it myself. I'm up a ladder quite a lot with my job and thats high enough for me :o

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2006, 18:42:48 »

Ive done 4 thousand from a static line  :) I enjoyed it......so much so I wanted to go up again.....but the wind got up and wasnt allowed  :(

We had steerable chutes and headsets.....a guy on the ground told you which cord to pull if you went too far away from the landing zone

At your age.... ;D ;D ;D ;D
I like red cars

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 September 2006, 19:34:57 »

Wish him luck from us Bob.

5000ft of freefall must be amazing.  But I think that would be toooo much for me now!
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #5 on: 05 September 2006, 19:46:58 »

I didnt say i did it last week AA  ;D

It was ummmm at least a few cough cough months ago  ;D

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2006, 19:48:48 »

I'm up a ladder quite a lot with my job and thats high enough for me :o

Couldnt pop round and fix my tv ariel could ya Bob  :)

Edit Oppsss I meant Timbuk  :-[
« Last Edit: 06 September 2006, 05:59:30 by Taxi_Driver »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2006, 20:10:58 »

Remind your boy not to forget to pack a spare pair of undies....   ;D

Seriously, wish him well.
Grumpy old man

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 September 2006, 21:15:09 »

Tell him goodluck tell him 2 look after himself
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 September 2006, 23:09:50 »

I wish him all the best bob, never tried it myself. I'm up a ladder quite a lot with my job and thats high enough for me :o

Know what you mean Doug - I remember standing on the bar at a party once at my local pub after a few bevvies too many, and that gave me vertigo!! ::) ;D

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 September 2006, 23:25:24 »

Last time we went there was a guy similar age to me who's missus had booked a jump for his 50th Birthday (maybe after his life insurance?!!). He managed to go up before the bad weather came over so of course I had to watch him come down. He looked a bit rocky on his feet after he landed, looked a bit green and had to sit down so I went over for a chat to see what he thought of his experience.
First of all he he started saying how queasy he felt, then bu**er me, after about half an hour he was swaggering around telling everyone what a fantastic experience it was and couln't wait to try it again!! Mmmmmm...... :-/

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Skydiving update
« Reply #11 on: 08 September 2006, 15:11:50 »

Well he bob.dent junior finally did it [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Couldn't have asked for better weather - perfect skydiving weather all day :) Bit of a long day as we arrived at the airfield at 9am and he didn't get to jump until 4.15pm as it was pretty busy. We coughed up an extra £108 to have his experience professionally video'd - this also pays for the cameraman to jump with him. We got to see the unedited version of the video almost straight after his jump and I've got to say it looks awesome :o The best bit is when they actually leave the plane and film them freefalling....WOW!
Got to wait a couple of weeks for them to edit the video and transfer to DVD - can't wait.

Still wouldn't get me to do it though! :-[

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 September 2006, 15:19:12 »

I would love a go......been up in an Extra 350L stunt plane with Brian Lecomber which was prtty dam awesome......particulalry the fly past 50 feet off the ground after a steep dive followed by the pull up. 90 turns, barrel rolls and stall turn........good job I hadn't eaten much!

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 September 2006, 15:27:22 »

I would love a go......been up in an Extra 350L stunt plane with Brian Lecomber which was prtty dam awesome......particulalry the fly past 50 feet off the ground after a steep dive followed by the pull up. 90 turns, barrel rolls and stall turn........good job I hadn't eaten much!

Quality!! Must have been a bit like throwing the Sennie around in the Czech hills eh ;) ;D

P_Russell

• Rushden, Northants
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 September 2006, 15:35:59 »

Did it a few weeks back....13500ft tandem with 5000ft freefall in 45s at sibson near Peterborough

Fantastic - as soon as I hit the ground I wanted to do it gain.  Only time I nearly filled my crackers was when we were way above the clouds, the plane door opened and someone just walked out.  It's just not right.......  I didn't stop smiling for a fortnight.

By far the 2nd most scary thing I've ever done (behind sitting in the passenger seat of a 1.2 red Nova around Nottingham ring road being driven by a certain brother of mine....)

You'd better hope he doesn't enjoy the jump as much as I did - could be an expensive hobby to subsidise!
If it's stuck, force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway........

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 08 September 2006, 15:46:13 »

Did it a few weeks back....13500ft tandem with 5000ft freefall in 45s at sibson near Peterborough

Fantastic - as soon as I hit the ground I wanted to do it gain.  Only time I nearly filled my crackers was when we were way above the clouds, the plane door opened and someone just walked out.  It's just not right.......  I didn't stop smiling for a fortnight.

By far the 2nd most scary thing I've ever done (behind sitting in the passenger seat of a 1.2 red Nova around Nottingham ring road being driven by a certain brother of mine....)

You'd better hope he doesn't enjoy the jump as much as I did - could be an expensive hobby to subsidise!

You're right on the button there - he was so full of himself (and adrenalin) the only way I could calm him down was to take him to our pub and get him hammered [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]
and....yes, he's got the bug now and wants to do it again which is fine by me so long as he pays for it himself. Trouble is my youngest son (18) came with us and now he wants to do it - I said if he wants me to pay then he'll have to wait until his 21st too ;)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 September 2006, 16:04:37 »

You want to try it in a 200Bhp Omega........or even the Melton road in a Senator.....eh Dave!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.