Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IT Help required please  (Read 1602 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
IT Help required please
« on: 01 April 2020, 18:33:03 »

I hope the techies on here can help me.

My daughters PC (Windows 10) had to be reset to launch the latest version of Abode Flash Player so her 9 year old son could do his schools internet homework.

Somehow in the process we have managed to loose Microsoft Office 2013 that was loaded on her system, which of course includes Word that she needs.

All Word documents are still listed, but cannot be opened via that software;  I have set up Word Pad as a temporary measure.

Is it possible to resurrect the missing Office 2013 please?

I have looked everywhere on her system and can find no trace.  Where could it be hiding please?

Many thanks in advance :D  :)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Re: IT Help required please
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2020, 18:45:02 »

Not in the slightest IT savy,but in the past when I have lost things on pc,I have done a system restore and brought the computer back to where it was before I started fiddling with it .Normally works but wont get the stuff you have loaded on to stay as you are going back in time if that makes sense

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 April 2020, 18:57:38 »

Not in the slightest IT savy,but in the past when I have lost things on pc,I have done a system restore and brought the computer back to where it was before I started fiddling with it .Normally works but wont get the stuff you have loaded on to stay as you are going back in time if that makes sense

Thanks for that :y :y

I have tried to take the system back to the restore date, but that is only the day the ruddy Abode was loaded/ system reset!! ::) ::)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 April 2020, 19:10:50 »

Lizzie,
You should be able to select the restore date and time you want to go back to in "system restore" in settings ...just go back to a point before the problem started 

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 01 April 2020, 19:20:13 »

Lizzie,
You should be able to select the restore date and time you want to go back to in "system restore" in settings ...just go back to a point before the problem started
She just said....there's only one restore point.  ::)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 April 2020, 19:33:41 »

Lizzie,
She just said....there's only one restore point.  ::)

Yes, and that is my problem.  In the past there have always been an earlier date, but this time............ :-X :-X  ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2020, 19:36:20 »

I have just found the Office 2013 disc, with license key, for my PC.

Will it work in my daughters PC, which was built by the same company shortly after mine was?  ??? ???

ie can one Office disc with license be used twice?
« Last Edit: 01 April 2020, 19:38:08 by Lizzie Zoom »

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2020, 20:09:35 »

Will it work in my daughters PC, which was built by the same company shortly after mine was?  ??? ???

Try. It won't explode or anything.

Personally, I don't/didn't bother with all that lark. I just opened a Microsoft account and paid £5.99 a month for office. You can cancel any time .

https://account.microsoft.com/account?lang=en-us

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 April 2020, 20:36:01 »

Personally, I don't/didn't bother with all that lark. I just opened a Microsoft account and paid £5.99 a month for office. You can cancel any time .

Thanks Steve :y

I looked at downloading the new Office package, but I am tight and do not want to pay again IF I can avoid it.

I’ll try using the Office disc I have and see what happens. :o 8) ;D ;D ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 April 2020, 11:19:29 »

Thanks Steve :y

I looked at downloading the new Office package, but I am tight and do not want to pay again IF I can avoid it.

I’ll try using the Office disc I have and see what happens. :o 8) ;D ;D ;)

Well, I loaded my MS Office 2013 disc, entered the product key and it all worked! 8) 8)  :)

Many thanks again Steve for given me the confidence to try the disc.  :-* :-* :y :y

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 02 April 2020, 11:40:57 »

Result  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 April 2020, 12:13:34 »

The older office always allowed two install instances  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 April 2020, 10:37:04 »

The older office always allowed two install instances  :y
Always only 1 (officially), assuming you ignore MAK and other volume options.

Retail versions were transferrable, thus you could uninstall from one machine and install on another, legally.  MS' activation servers allow some element of grace on this on older (pre 365 era) versions, allowing a fair degree of use if you spead them out a bit, illegally of course.

OEM versions are not transferrable, and can only be fired once (or reinstalled on the same hardwareid).  You could always phone MS claiming you had swapped out lots of hardware components, and could they reset it, but it seemed 50:50 if the agent would say that counted as a new PC, or reset it.

Newer versions use telemetry.

Many large companies are signed up to MS' HUP, granting active employees access to Office whilst still employed.  What you are offered depends on the specifics of the company's agreements, but is usually either Office 2019 for around £15 one off, or a significant discount on the (in the process of being rebranded) Microsoft 365 subscriptions.

If you go for the former, if its offered, there seems to be nothing in place to disable the licence when you leave the company, or to disable it when you buy next year's offering for a 2nd PC. Though it is breaking the terms.

Office/Microsoft 365 subscription can be useful if you can adjust to the way it works, and store everything on Onedrive (but still maintain proper backups, obviously).  But it also mains logging into your PC with your MS account (for it to be truly seemless).  Being a luddite, I'm a foot in both camps person ;D
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.