Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap daily runaround car?  (Read 9328 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap daily runaround car?
« Reply #45 on: 14 August 2020, 07:44:46 »

Electric seat adjustment has manual adjustment beat on refining position, and very few modest cars have them even as an option. Even some cars that should have full electric only have partial electric adjustment which leaves you with the worst of both :-\

I never realised how much I used the memory seats on my Omega until I bough the RClass. The seats were fully electric but no memory, which meant that it seemed to take an age to get the seat back to how you wanted it when it was moved fro whatever reason.
My ML has both electric column & seats with memory ..... but manual interior mirror!  ??? ???

no electric rear view mirror is common across the industry, its position needs to alter based on if you drive in the morning or evening so was found to never be in the right place. Hence there were complaints it was never right due to the simple fact the users spine was compressing during the day  :y (true fact this  ;D).

Of course, the smart rear view mirrors totally eliminate the need now anyway :-\

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 14 August 2020, 07:51:46 »

Never really found it very strenuous to adjust the rear view mirror must be a strain to some poor folk..😄
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 14 August 2020, 08:43:11 »

Hence there were complaints it was never right due to the simple fact the users spine was compressing during the day  :y (true fact this  ;D).

I have never noticed this phenomenon - but I'll now be looking out for it  :D

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 14 August 2020, 08:45:36 »

Hence there were complaints it was never right due to the simple fact the users spine was compressing during the day  :y (true fact this  ;D).

Makes you so tiny that you can't reach the mirror 😂
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 14 August 2020, 09:19:33 »

Never really found it very strenuous to adjust the rear view mirror must be a strain to some poor folk..😄

Both my mother and sister slide the seat almost  to the front of the runner, and have the back almost upright. I don't do either but in all the cars we've driven between us, I've never needed to adjust any of the mirrors to use them. Why would you need to move the screen mirror just because the light has changed? :o 

An auto-dipping mirror is nice to have, but it's hardly essential.

Far too many features are gimmicks because they are poorly implemented: electric windows that are only one touch down but not up - Ford compound this by only having it on the driver's door; full closure that requires you to hold the button on the remote for as long as it takes, when it ought to be included in the dead locks; electric seats without memories; mood lighting - it's utterly ghastly; haven't seen this for a while, but remote adjustable door mirror only on the driver's door - clearly specced by someone who had never seen a car, let alone driven one; screens that display text to tell you your door is open, but only an EML that could mean anything; electric boot releases that don't open with the engine running; mechanical keys and a start button; interior lights that a make a glow worm look bright; controls that are not obvious how they work, like pulling the light switch to turn on the courtesy light or just scattering controls randomly around the dash; considering how much electronic crap is in a modern car, why do none have continuously variable wiper speeds - one knob to go from off, through various intermittent delays to full speed; electric closers that are so slow operated by sensors that are so poor you look like you need a piss rather than trying to open the boot; I could go on.

One of the things that make older cars more appealing is they have none of this stuff, so it isn't infuriating when it doesn't work properly.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 14 August 2020, 09:31:05 »

Get in the car in the morning, set the mirror, see how far out the mirror is in the evening  :y

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 14 August 2020, 09:31:27 »

Both my mother and sister slide the seat almost  to the front of the runner, and have the back almost upright. I don't do either but in all the cars we've driven between us, I've never needed to adjust any of the mirrors to use them. Why would you need to move the screen mirror just because the light has changed? :o 

Far too many features are gimmicks because they are poorly implemented: electric windows that are only one touch down but not up - Ford compound this by only having it on the driver's door; full closure that requires you to hold the button on the remote for as long as it takes, when it ought to be included in the dead locks; electric seats without memories; mood lighting - it's utterly ghastly; haven't seen this for a while, but remote adjustable door mirror only on the driver's door - clearly specced by someone who had never seen a car, let alone driven one; screens that display text to tell you your door is open, but only an EML that could mean anything; electric boot releases that don't open with the engine running; mechanical keys and a start button; interior lights that a make a glow worm look bright; controls that are not obvious how they work, like pulling the light switch to turn on the courtesy light or just scattering controls randomly around the dash; considering how much electronic crap is in a modern car, why do none have continuously variable wiper speeds - one knob to go from off, through various intermittent delays to full speed; electric closers that are so slow operated by sensors that are so poor you look like you need a piss rather than trying to open the boot; I could go on.

One of the things that make older cars more appealing is they have none of this stuff, so it isn't infuriating when it doesn't work properly.

Absolutely agree 100 percent all this electric everything is total & unnecessary crap talk about helpless & lazy, unfortunately that's how a lot of people have become.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 14 August 2020, 09:54:51 »

Still, it keeps your Range Rooney garage in business if they have to replace the door locks everytime it goes in ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 14 August 2020, 10:25:41 »

Still, it keeps your Range Rooney garage in business if they have to replace the door locks everytime it goes in ;D

Exactly right ,lovely comfortable vehicle to drive  extremely comfortable but too many unnecessary electric items , fortunately I can afford to run one & keep it up to my standards.

« Last Edit: 14 August 2020, 10:28:10 by Rangie »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 14 August 2020, 10:46:19 »

Get in the car in the morning, set the mirror, see how far out the mirror is in the evening  :y
Mirrors, what mirrors, are they like those superfluous indicator thingies ???

:D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 14 August 2020, 11:56:45 »

I don't find it strenuous either, just bemused as to why a 20 odd yr old main stream car has an electric interior mirror & modern expensive cars don't

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 14 August 2020, 12:01:12 »

Can I add Mercs infra red total closure to the list of useless electrickery? I used to be able lock & close the windows and roof of my Omega from my front room using rf. To do the same with my Merc I need to stand next to the driver's door so the key & see the infrared window ..... pointless IMHO.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 14 August 2020, 13:04:52 »

Given the weight my spine is carting around, I can only imagine it's an awful lot  ;D

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 14 August 2020, 13:10:46 »

Can I add Mercs infra red total closure to the list of useless electrickery? I used to be able lock & close the windows and roof of my Omega from my front room using rf. To do the same with my Merc I need to stand next to the driver's door so the key & see the infrared window ..... pointless IMHO.

Think I'll go back to a MK2 Lowline Zodiac , had a beautiful one around 1975/6 electric nothing wonderful 😎

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 14 August 2020, 18:10:50 »

Think I'll go back to a MK2 Lowline Zodiac , had a beautiful one around 1975/6 electric nothing wonderful 😎

Electric windscreen wipers would be nice, mind. ;)

My pet hate with modern cars is requiring the driver to EVER use a touch screen while driving, especially when the software behind it takes a nap every so often. 
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.