Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.2 cd 2001 Limp mode manag  light on all the  (Read 863 times)

2dogs

• View Profile
2.2 cd 2001 Limp mode manag  light on all the
« on: 20 March 2008, 20:06:01 »

Hello my Omega Buddies,

My problem starts with the engine management light. It came on but I could drive the car as normal although the automatic gear changes were a bit choppy. I got the local garage to clear them as MOT was dou. The codes suggested CAT was buggered and it had a gear box error. My Omega passed MOT and next day it went into a limp mode. Back to the garage to get the codes cleared, their was loads of different codes........the owner was baffled, he got me to drive around the block and he cheched to see if everything was running ok......it was.

Next day limp mode again, disconnect battery wait 20 minutes, I can drive it again but the management light stays on. Ive been told I need to replace the CAT and Lamder sensors. Someone suggested a new ECU.......The fumes from the exhaust do smell when cold and it sounds like I have a blow in the pipe. I am confused, I'm off to a garage tomorrow to get a price for the CAT and Lamder sensor, but I would appreciate any advise as I have a funeral on Wednesday and being a smart looking black car I have lots of family to transport......please help.
« Last Edit: 20 March 2008, 20:09:10 by 2dogs »

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
Re: 2.2 cd 2001 Limp mode manag  light on all the
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2008, 20:24:10 »

I very much doubt you need a new ECU!?! It is often 1 fault, or combination of other faults which can cause subsequent sensors to read incorrectly, hence showing up lots of fault codes. The ecu, in effect is trying to 'balance' the engine all the time.

A new cat, will be very expensive from a main dealer, it is intended to last the life of the car really so the first port of call may be the lambda sensor as suggested.

The 'blow' in the pipe may also prove to be the 'flexi' joint which can also be replaced on its own.

Have a read of this thread which this guy experienced recently;

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1204745024

Here is a cheaper option should the cat prove to need replacement;
https://sslrelay.com/buypartsby.co.uk/cat_details.php?recordID=1856

2dogs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2008, 20:39:15 »

Many thanks for the links Sir, I didn't fully understand the chaps exhaust problem, as I thought the 2.2 only has 1 CAT and not 2........I'm not the sharpest knife in the draw, so I will read it again........Many thanks for taking the time for me.

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2008, 20:46:22 »

I thought the 2.2 only has 1 CAT and not 2.
Thats what the garage thought as well!

It's certainly worth a read though and does highlight how important it is to diagnose and fix correctly, WITHOUT being ripped off!

As I understand it, 1 cat is smaller thus heating up faster which aids efficiency of the other cat.

Happy to help, the experts will be along shortly  :y
« Last Edit: 20 March 2008, 20:46:50 by davlad22 »

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2008, 21:12:08 »

Hmmmm........not quite sure how ECU codes tell the garage its the CAT......ok they might be getting lambda sensor errors.......but this wont be putting it in limp mode.

Disconnecting the battery wont do anything for it......so dont bother doing that again.

The main thing that puts a 2.2 into limp mode is the cam sensor......so if code P0340 is mentioned when you get the codes read.......change the cam sensor....its a common problem on 2.2's

Ask the garage what the g/b errors are.........if they are can bus errors (p0700 & p1700) ignore them tbh  :y

HTH

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2008, 07:41:19 »

I very much doubt you need a new ECU!?! It is often 1 fault, or combination of other faults which can cause subsequent sensors to read incorrectly, hence showing up lots of fault codes. The ecu, in effect is trying to 'balance' the engine all the time.

A new cat, will be very expensive from a main dealer, it is intended to last the life of the car really so the first port of call may be the lambda sensor as suggested.

The 'blow' in the pipe may also prove to be the 'flexi' joint which can also be replaced on its own.

Have a read of this thread which this guy experienced recently;

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1204745024

Here is a cheaper option should the cat prove to need replacement;
http://[highlight]https://sslrelay.com/buypartsby.co.uk/cat_details.php?recordID=1856[/highlight]

That's a good site for CAT prices.

I went through the selector process looking for a CAT for my car (a 3.2) and the list only went up to a 3.0.

Is that set OK for my car?

I also noticed that the 2.5 and 2.6 have different sets and that the price of the 2.6 set is DOUBLE (yes double) the price of the others.

This doesn't make me feel optimistic.

2dogs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2008, 11:55:46 »

:http://images.omegaowners.com/forum/yabbfiles22/Templates/Forum/default/thumbsup.gifyI thank everyone who has helped me in this forum, it is the best thing I have come across. I have opted for the lamber sensor just the front one as thats all they had. It cost £61.20, which is a cheap fix and it does seem to have worked. The warning lights have gone, it's come out of limp mode and running smooth like an Omega should. Once again I thank you all.......

2dogs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2008, 12:03:03 »

;DThank you all....... :y :y :y
« Last Edit: 21 March 2008, 12:07:14 by 2dogs »

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2008, 12:52:22 »

Nice one!  :y Well pleased for you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.