Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vectra specifications: LIFE seems good, why pay mpre?  (Read 5604 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile

Buying Astras, I learned the hard way that specification is important. Looking at Vectras, bottom spec LIFE has aircon, cruise, steering wheel audio controls, CD30 radio CD, steel wheels, all I want. Exclusiv and Design have alloy wheels with skinny tyres, SRi and Elite have 17" wheels with skinnier tyres.  I am no fan of low profile tyres, so am looking for Life or Exclusiv models.

I thank DG for bringing to my attention the importance of seeking the right spec of used cars.

Any comments?

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
Re: Vectra specifications: LIFE seems good, why pay mpre?
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2019, 20:41:04 »

I would definitely agree that when buying used, the small additional outlay for a higher spec model is greatly beneficial in both personal enjoyment whilst using the car, but also greatly assists in the subsequent sale of the car. Many features you may never use, but if they have been mainly paid for by the first owner, then the benefits from having them can't be understated.
I have always bought the highest spec I can - Ghia models when I had Fords, CD / CDX models with Cavaliers, and over the last 15 years, Elite models with Omegas. My wife wanted a Honda CRV so we got an EX auto; the old one sold fast because it had extras over and above normal EX models.
I also have an SUV which has a 7 seat option with the top spec models amongst other features. When looking around, I considered the 5 seat version as it was considerably cheaper but decided to go for the top spec version. I'm now glad I did as it appears that the 5 seat versions don't sell well in the used car market and take a long time to sell whereas the 7 seat versions sell. In the MY 15, options were added such as power tail gate with ' hands full' feature, side blinds, heated rear seats, compass, memory seats, lane assist, so it was important that I got a late 15 model rather than early as these options, whilst they didn't particularly affect the purchase price, make it better vehicle to have, but are good selling points when advertising it when the time comes.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2019, 21:55:31 »

There's so many specs, and options that it really doesn't matter for ordinary cars. And you won't get any more ordinary than a Vectra. Condition and convenience are the priorities once you've decided your mechanical requirements - I wouldn't buy a diesel or auto for example.

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2019, 22:12:05 »

There's so many specs, and options that it really doesn't matter for ordinary cars. And you won't get any more ordinary than a Vectra. Condition and convenience are the priorities once you've decided your mechanical requirements - I wouldn't buy a diesel or auto for example.
I have a diesel that's auto and I love it  ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2019, 22:40:06 »

How about when it's 12 years old and any repair is more than the car is worth?

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2019, 23:49:50 »

I'm with Nick on buying petrol powered but it has to be two pedals
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 June 2019, 09:25:15 »

Life’s been good to me so far......
Laying a rubber road.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 June 2019, 10:01:49 »

My Maserati does 185.  :D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 June 2019, 10:19:55 »

Surely it would be so cheap you'd weigh it in and make a profit

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 June 2019, 10:39:17 »

My Maserati does 185.  :D

But I thought you lost your licence, and now you can't drive? In all seriousness, that post didn't get sufficient appreciation  ;).

Back on topic, I think it depends what you intend using your chosen sh!tter for. If it's a decent length commute I'd always want AC and probably look for heated seats and cruise. If it's for knocking about, or dog transport, I tend to look for seats and a steering wheel.  :y

As said, if I were in the market for a Vec, it seems like any of the specs would fulfill my needs so it would be engine, gearbox and condition that were deciding factors.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 June 2019, 10:41:09 »

Yes, but Nick knows a thing or two about cars and you don't....☺

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 05 June 2019, 11:16:15 »

How about when any car is 12 years old? Why should a diesel auto be different from a petrol manual?
And more than the car is worth to who? Parker's?

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 05 June 2019, 11:19:41 »

Yes, but Nick knows a thing or two about cars and you don't....☺
I know I've been driving them for 48 years, time enough to decide what I like and what I don't. You, of all people, should realise that the average motorist is not interested in a 12 year old car that needs repairs every farts end. You can pick up a decent five year old car for little money.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 June 2019, 12:14:37 »

How about when any car is 12 years old? Why should a diesel auto be different from a petrol manual?

Petrol engines nowhere near as complex as modern diesels,expensive injectors,fuel pumps,dpf's and suchlike can cost a fortune,petrols have there issues too but generally cheaper to sort out :y
other rides 

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 June 2019, 12:19:10 »

Petrol engines nowhere near as complex as modern diesels,expensive injectors,fuel pumps,dpf's and suchlike can cost a fortune,petrols have there issues too but generally cheaper to sort out :y

Yep and they are much easier on the drivetrain that follows them due to their smoother torque delivery, meaning that if you have a fragile FWD automatic box there is less chance of it dying.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

« Reply #15 on: 05 June 2019, 12:39:22 »

Yep and they are much easier on the drivetrain that follows them due to their smoother torque delivery, meaning that if you have a fragile FWD automatic box there is less chance of it dying.
I'm glad that, according to Mark, I've one of the best auto gearboxes about, then.  :P

Bunch of old, and young, men going on about keeping cars until they die. That's the men, not the cars.  ;D

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 June 2019, 14:41:46 »

I'm glad that, according to Mark, I've one of the best auto gearboxes about, then.  :P

Bunch of old, and young, men going on about keeping cars until they die. That's the men, not the cars.  ;D

I think its the same gearbox that my Saaaaaaab has  :y
other rides 

STEMO

« Reply #17 on: 05 June 2019, 14:46:30 »

And how many miles has your Saab done?

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 June 2019, 14:47:01 »

other rides 

STEMO

« Reply #19 on: 05 June 2019, 14:50:42 »

At least 86K left in mine then  ;D

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 June 2019, 14:51:38 »

Yeah,drive on :y
other rides 

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 June 2019, 14:57:34 »

But Saab are driven by Scandinavian philosophers and intellectuals. An Astra derv driven by a  surly pensioner from Barnsley will not receive the same TLC. :)

STEMO

« Reply #22 on: 05 June 2019, 14:59:00 »

Surly?  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 June 2019, 15:05:35 »

Surly?  ;D

Apt and concise. Applies to most old people from the North. ::) ::) ::) :) ;)

STEMO

« Reply #24 on: 05 June 2019, 15:07:13 »

Surly?  ;D

I am not surly, so you can f**k right off.  >:(

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05 June 2019, 15:35:11 »

Getting back to the topic in hand.... 'ordinary' cars?
Does that mean the cheap 100k sub £2-5k runabout? In that situation, then I'd agree condition is important and the spec secondary, but if we are talking about a more current model perhaps still under warranty then spec IS important in my opinion.
Only ever had one Vectra , a 2.5 V6 - very nice car in its day, but Vectras now don't float my boat. But if it just a cheap roundabout does it matter that much?
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 June 2019, 16:26:13 »

Wow! Lucky I’m still sane after all this
Laying a rubber road.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 June 2019, 19:02:53 »

Who said you were. :P

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05 June 2019, 19:16:55 »

Surly?  ;D

I am not surly, so you can f**k right off>:(

......that's the ticket. ;D

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 June 2019, 23:25:35 »

Everybody say, I’m cool, he’s cool.....
Laying a rubber road.

aaronjb

« Reply #30 on: 06 June 2019, 08:41:54 »

You remind me of the scene in Pulp Fiction, and somehow I feel STEMO would have more of the Honey Bunny (Amanda Plummer) vibe about him than Pumpkin (Tim Roth).. (for anyone who doesn't get the reference, the first quote here: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110912/characters/nm0001625)

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 06 June 2019, 09:51:06 »

Ha ha, there’s some crazies on this forum I see  ;D :y
Laying a rubber road.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07 June 2019, 10:01:21 »

Buying Astras, I learned the hard way that specification is important. Looking at Vectras, bottom spec LIFE has aircon, cruise, steering wheel audio controls, CD30 radio CD, steel wheels, all I want. Exclusiv and Design have alloy wheels with skinny tyres, SRi and Elite have 17" wheels with skinnier tyres.  I am no fan of low profile tyres, so am looking for Life or Exclusiv models.

I thank DG for bringing to my attention the importance of seeking the right spec of used cars.

Any comments?
Obviously, the interior features creep up as you go up the model range. Things like better quality seats, maybe heated seats, better radios and so on.

Work out what you want/need and the extra costs, and make your decision then.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07 June 2019, 22:59:25 »

Cant complain, but on OOF I still do...…. ;D

P.S. Ive seen the great Joe perform this live.
For those of you who don't know what were on about. You bloody well should do.  :P
« Last Edit: 07 June 2019, 23:03:48 by Migv6 »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07 June 2019, 23:44:46 »

Yes indeed one of the best guitar solos of all time (of course Felder was involved)  Eagles, Hotel California.   And for those who may not know it was.... life’s been good to me so far, by the great Joe Walsh.
Laying a rubber road.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07 June 2019, 23:52:09 »

Its a tongue in cheek song about the life of a being a rock star.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXWvKDSwvls

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 08 June 2019, 00:01:36 »

Old like us ;D
Laying a rubber road.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 08 June 2019, 00:02:10 »

try Lucky That Way, which adds another couple of decades experience. The whole album is just as good: Analog Man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 08 June 2019, 00:21:23 »

One day at a time also explains a lot about him. Ive been meaning to get hold of Analog man for  while, but haven't got round to it yet.  :y
I still remember how shocked I felt when I saw the headline in the NME (in 76 ?) " Joe Walsh joins the Eagles".
The only apparent reason was that they both had the same manager in Irving Azoff.
I thought at the time that the British equivalent would be "Eric Clapton joins the Bee Gees, as they were both managed by Robert Stigwood.
It worked out OK though, despite seeming a strange combination. Having said that I much prefer the earlier country rock Eagles stuff.
I thought Desperado was their best album by far.
« Last Edit: 08 June 2019, 00:30:45 by Migv6 »

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 08 June 2019, 00:37:01 »

It’s very annoying when certain “disk jokers” don’t allow the full ending of Hotel California and talk over it, or maybe I’m just a moany T#at
Laying a rubber road.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 08 June 2019, 21:07:36 »

It’s very annoying when certain “disk jokers” don’t allow the full ending of Hotel California and talk over it, or maybe I’m just a moany T#at
Agreed, some have brilliant endings/fadeout, then some knobhead with verbal diarrhea starts talking crap over it. >:( :D

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 08 June 2019, 21:15:13 »

Thanks for the linky, now sitting here typing this drivel listening to Joe. ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.