Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Induction kits.  (Read 2195 times)

amigov6

Induction kits.
« on: 06 May 2007, 23:30:07 »

:-/As previously posted i've fitted a pipercross duccie kit to my mig. This seems to have provoked varied responses. I'm by no means a young man, this is my first ever kit & first ever mig(excluding work vehicles). I'd like to hear WHY any members think it's a good or bad idea.
     I regularly oil change, fuel filter etc & only boot it occasionally. After a full cambelt kit i do'nt want to knacker it so will take any advice on board. Mileage is 97k & i have kept original airbox in garage should i need it.
        No change in running or mpg but if pushing it just alittle livelier mid range & sounds nice, standard exhaust. Most of you will know better than me so i will take notice. Cheers. :-/

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Induction kits.
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2007, 23:47:19 »

:-/As previously posted i've fitted a pipercross duccie kit to my mig. This seems to have provoked varied responses. I'm by no means a young man, this is my first ever kit & first ever mig(excluding work vehicles). I'd like to hear WHY any members think it's a good or bad idea.
     I regularly oil change, fuel filter etc & only boot it occasionally. After a full cambelt kit i do'nt want to knacker it so will take any advice on board. Mileage is 97k & i have kept original airbox in garage should i need it.
        No change in running or mpg but if pushing it just alittle livelier mid range & sounds nice, standard exhaust. Most of you will know better than me so i will take notice. Cheers. :-/
Only thing it can hurt is the MAF.  Cone filters tend to be very oily and that coats the MAF.  Can be cleaned, but after a certain point the MAF dies.  Otherwise, if you like the noise then why not!
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2007, 00:33:03 »

Agreed, noise is nice. I had an ITG cone fitted for a short time.
As theo says, oil on the MAF would be a problem...

Biggest downsides though would be getting a proper cold air feed, the filter is probably more restrictive than standard (lower surface area) and the noise is irritating as hell on long motorway drives!
The Administrator.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2007, 09:38:36 »

I remain unconvinced that they ever improve performance, and in many cases decrease it.  I suspect the noise makes it 'feel' quicker...
Grumpy old man

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2007, 09:56:16 »

I remain unconvinced that they ever improve performance, and in many cases decrease it.  I suspect the noise makes it 'feel' quicker...
They do make a small difference in many cases, but I wouldn't go running out to get one.  Mainly it is just about the noise.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2007, 10:01:19 »

They do make a small difference in many cases, but I wouldn't go running out to get one.  Mainly it is just about the noise.
They make a difference on cars when the original is under spec'd.  The Omega has a pretty big filter as standard, plus its fed with nice cold air, unlike most induction kits.
Grumpy old man

Big Steve

• Intermediate Member
  • Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2007, 16:33:06 »

I run a viper induction kit, a bit expensive but better than a cone, has a heat shield to protect it
from engine temp, it's also connected to a 100mm cold air feed pipe which is feed from the front of the car, not everyone likes the chrome intake but i'm getting used to it.  Slight improvement on performance, but only when you get the rev's up, sound's good & not loud on moterway driving :)
IT'S AN OMEGA JIM BUT NOT AS WE KNOW IT

Joneyentee

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 May 2007, 17:22:32 »

I fitted a cone filter (with a cold air feed) to my last car hoping to improve the performance and make a nicer noise. However, there was no noticable increase in performance and the noise was more of a rasp rather than the growl I was after.  I you want more of a low end growling noise then I guess the only way is an exhaust change?

If you are after a little more performance then you might be better off with a non-standard filter in the original box for less restrictive air flow. A K&N panel filter to fit the miggy's box would mean you can keep the box in place and use the existing cold air feed.

Also if you fit and induction kit then ideallyyou need to tell your insurance company that you have modified your vehicle. If the worst does happen and you have to claim then it's possible they'll use it as an excuse to not have to pay out. I told mine I had a 'non-standard air filter' and they said that was fine and didn't charge me more, but at least I was safe in the knowledge they knew and they couldn't use it as a 'wriggling out clause'. (Technical insuance jargon ;))

Hope this helps and feel free to correct anything peeps!  ;D
Reading of signatures prohibited...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 May 2007, 17:40:13 »

If you are after a little more performance then you might be better off with a non-standard filter in the original box for less restrictive air flow. A K&N panel filter to fit the miggy's box would mean you can keep the box in place and use the existing cold air feed.
The thing is, the standard filter is not restrictive due to its size...
Grumpy old man

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 May 2007, 18:30:49 »

In most cases I would heartily agree.  However, on my miggy the folds are really dense and I'm just not sure.  :-/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 May 2007, 20:33:16 »

In most cases I would heartily agree.  However, on my miggy the folds are really dense and I'm just not sure.  :-/
Nah, that gives more surface area to filter.  They are not so tight to restrict...
Grumpy old man

amigov6

« Reply #11 on: 07 May 2007, 21:05:28 »

:)Thanks all. Sorry but what is a MAF? I agree with ins. declarations(got 9 hgv points which i do declare)  Maybe a panel filter is a better route, iget no annoying noise @ motorway speeds, only if i boot it. I also want a performance exhaust which are always noisy & need declaring to ins. Car will be @ Lakes meet, ill try & make it too!!! Work tomorrow, bedtime etc... Thanks for giving me your help. Take care. :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 May 2007, 21:24:54 »

If you gain anything (questionable) by fitting an induction kit you'll lose it again if it's not taking 100% of its' air feed from in front of the rad.

Induction air temperature makes a significant difference to the power output of an engine. A panel filter doesn't cause a problem, of course, because the original cold air pipe is still used but a cone filter in the engine bay will be sucking hot air from under the bonnet, even if you try to duct air towards it. Underbonnet air can get very hot when the vehicle is running at low speeds.

Anyway, I've ebayed myself an AP22 performance meter for very reasonable money so if anyone wants to do a before and after test, and has a suitable private test track  ;) it can be arranged, and might be an interesting exercise.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 May 2007, 21:29:50 »

Thanks all. Sorry but what is a MAF?

Mass Air Flow ;)
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 May 2007, 21:31:33 »

MAF is a sensor that mesures the amount of air being used by the engine...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.