Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's at fault?  (Read 6424 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Who's at fault?
« Reply #15 on: 23 July 2016, 12:04:45 »

I remember years ago a boss telling me that there is no such thing as "Accidents", there is always a cause. If there is a cause then it is not an "accident".

This looks to me like competitive driving, by both. Or stupid driving, by both.

The bike should not be so close or so fast, unless it was some unlikely life or death situation

The car was either being bloody minded or unobservant, but in either event the bike should be considering that possibility.

There is too much emphasis on "who's fault" these days. Every road user has a responsibility to be safe and to engage in defensive driving. By defensive I mean always thinking "what if". This is an incredibly boring driving style, but you stay alive.

The bike isn't particularily close and is obviously doing the same speed as the two cars in front of it.  ;)
Inevitably, some are judging the actions of the bike rider as they would judge a car being driven, but bikes are very different in a few respects - physical size for one thing - and what would be tantamount to suicide in a car, could be an easy straightforward manoeuvre on a bike.
What did or didn't happen earlier is irrelevant imo, to call the car driver moronic would be an insult to morons everywhere.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2016, 12:06:27 by Migv6 »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 July 2016, 12:16:28 »

I remember years ago a boss telling me that there is no such thing as "Accidents", there is always a cause. If there is a cause then it is not an "accident".

This looks to me like competitive driving, by both. Or stupid driving, by both.

The bike should not be so close or so fast, unless it was some unlikely life or death situation

The car was either being bloody minded or unobservant, but in either event the bike should be considering that possibility.

There is too much emphasis on "who's fault" these days. Every road user has a responsibility to be safe and to engage in defensive driving. By defensive I mean always thinking "what if". This is an incredibly boring driving style, but you stay alive.

The bike isn't particularily close and is obviously doing the same speed as the two cars in front of it.  ;)
Inevitably, some are judging the actions of the bike rider as they would judge a car being driven, but bikes are very different in a few respects - physical size for one thing - and what would be tantamount to suicide in a car, could be an easy straightforward manoeuvre on a bike.
What did or didn't happen earlier is irrelevant imo, to call the car driver moronic would be an insult to morons everywhere.

Yes. :y

STEMO

« Reply #17 on: 23 July 2016, 15:14:54 »

I would hate to ride a motorbike these days. You can see them eyeing you up at junctions and roundabouts because they're not sure you've seen them. Not a very pleasant way to get about, unless you're on the open road.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 July 2016, 15:27:45 »

Whatever happened earlier in the trip is totally irrelevant as the car driver was completely at fault.  It was at best a stupid mistake with possible tragic consequences and at worst a nasty vindictive attack on the biker!  >:(

I hope they track down the car and it's driver, and whoever it is faces the full force of the law.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 July 2016, 15:47:09 »

I would hate to ride a motorbike these days. You can see them eyeing you up at junctions and roundabouts because they're not sure you've seen them. Not a very pleasant way to get about, unless you're on the open road.
In your day the choice was between a Velocette or a Francis Barnett.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 July 2016, 17:42:56 »

Ive given up riding bikes now because the roads are too crowded, too many road users are idiots, too many speed cameras etc. and I'm too old to be getting hurt.
Having said that, since the sun came out I have felt the pull towards a Ducati 916. So far though, Ive resisted.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 July 2016, 19:09:46 »

PLEASE stop talking about returning to motorbikes; this current hot weather is making me think about my Sunbeam S8 in myriad pieces in my garage!    :'(

Ron.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 July 2016, 19:54:17 »

Screw all those myriad pieces back together Ron and you have around £6000 worth of bike.
Then sell it and buy something decent - like a Ducati 916.  :y ;D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 July 2016, 20:23:31 »

Oi!

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 July 2016, 20:45:05 »

Ive given up riding bikes now because the roads are too crowded, too many road users are idiots, too many speed cameras etc. and I'm too old to be getting hurt.
Having said that, since the sun came out I have felt the pull towards a Ducati 916. So far though, Ive resisted.  ::)

Yup me too, Sunday mornings used to be great but not now, far too many idiots on the road and like you I`m getting too old to get hurt  :y

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23 July 2016, 20:55:29 »

Car driver at fault without a doubt. Up until approximately -0.20 seconds into the clip the bike rider is 'riding the mirror' so as to be seen, he's also not THAT close to the car in front. At around -0.16 seconds into the clip he makes a sweeping manoeuvre, looks through the gap and goes for it. Any other time this would have been standard practice to hook the bike out for the big one, but either the car driver wasn't aware of how quick a bike can get up and go (doubtful) or they'd had some beef earlier.

Incidentally, this was how my riding days were ended. I was following a vehicle that had shown no interest in overtaking the car in front, I too was riding the mirror so that he could see me. I cogged down, even though I didn't need to, so he'd hear the pipes and then hooked it out for the big one. I got twa**ed in the side and knocked off the road. Would have come out of it with minor injuries, except for the abrupt stop as my bike, and my leg, slammed in to a concrete post. I must take a big chunk of the blame though due to my excessive speed.
Nothing physical or mental stops me riding, it's just that Mrs YZ said she doesn't want me riding again until I'm at least sixty, so that I have a full pension.  ;D
Been on plenty of bikes since, I just never bought another one. Safer on the MotoX.  ::)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 July 2016, 22:05:21 »

Car driver at fault without a doubt. Up until approximately -0.20 seconds into the clip the bike rider is 'riding the mirror' so as to be seen, he's also not THAT close to the car in front. At around -0.16 seconds into the clip he makes a sweeping manoeuvre, looks through the gap and goes for it. Any other time this would have been standard practice to hook the bike out for the big one, but either the car driver wasn't aware of how quick a bike can get up and go (doubtful) or they'd had some beef earlier.

Incidentally, this was how my riding days were ended. I was following a vehicle that had shown no interest in overtaking the car in front, I too was riding the mirror so that he could see me. I cogged down, even though I didn't need to, so he'd hear the pipes and then hooked it out for the big one. I got twa**ed in the side and knocked off the road. Would have come out of it with minor injuries, except for the abrupt stop as my bike, and my leg, slammed in to a concrete post. I must take a big chunk of the blame though due to my excessive speed.
Nothing physical or mental stops me riding, it's just that Mrs YZ said she doesn't want me riding again until I'm at least sixty, so that I have a full pension.  ;D
Been on plenty of bikes since, I just never bought another one. Safer on the MotoX.  ::)

Encountered similar when I owned my old FJ1200.
I came up behind a queue of seven or eight cars following a pensioner in a Rover 45, driving at about 35 MPH.

I briefly waited but nobody seemed interesting in overtaking. Hmmm.

Second gear and a big handful should take me past all of the cars.....and indeed it did(well almost)

Just as I was about to overtake the second car in the queue the driver decided it was finally time to overtake the coffin dodger in the Rover 45. My speed at this point was highly illegal.

Fearing I was going to smash straight into the rear of the car and with no time to even touch the brakes, I closed my eyes aimed for the small gap between car and curb.

My mistake for coming from so far back. Car drivers generally only check one car behind before pulling out.

It was scary.... :o 

« Last Edit: 23 July 2016, 22:09:03 by Doctor Opti »

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24 July 2016, 01:56:46 »

I didn't say it wasn't the car driver at fault. But I still think there was some form of "incident" between car and bike earlier in the journey :-\

And the fact the bike can manoeuvre quickly isn't an excuse for speeding, which it still looks like both were doing ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24 July 2016, 06:08:42 »

You don't speed ?  :o :-X ;) :D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 24 July 2016, 10:54:50 »

I didn't say it wasn't the car driver at fault. But I still think there was some form of "incident" between car and bike earlier in the journey :-\

And the fact the bike can manoeuvre quickly isn't an excuse for speeding, which it still looks like both were doing ;)

If there was some sort of incident earlier and the car drivers actions were deliberate then he should be hunted down and charged with attempted murder!  >:(

I don't think they were speeding either.  It's probably a 60 limit, there's plenty of traffic and the following biker with the camera stopped pretty quickly.  50 -60?  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.