Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: F1 cars with engines smaller than most of us  (Read 1165 times)

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
F1 cars with engines smaller than most of us
« on: 10 December 2010, 21:41:00 »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9275796.stm

Oh dear, I'm not an F1 fan really, but even I know that's pathetic.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: F1 cars with engines smaller than most of us
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2010, 22:31:08 »

It's a few cars buzzing around a few tracks for a few months of the year. When you consider there are around 750MILLION motor vehicles in the world today, its not exactly saving the planet by making these few dozen burn fuel a bit more efficiently, is it?

I'm in agreement, pathetic.

Actually, I want to see F1 cars burn fuel LESS efficiently, loads of blue smoke, slightly-iffy tuned carbs spitting fuel, dodgy cross-ply tyres losing grip and blowing out, huge explosions!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Brikhead

• Omega Knight
  • West-Mids.
  • Sleeping. Do not disturb.
    • 2003 chitroen Saxo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2010, 22:34:46 »

4 cylinder, 1.6 litre turbo charged engines, producing 750 horse power. Plus the average F1 car weighs around half a ton...

albitz

« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2010, 22:36:18 »

Last time they had turbo engines they were 1500cc and pushing out 1500bhp in qualifying trim. ;)
Im sure the sport will be worse forthe new set of regs. though. It always is. They make it more contrived and less sectactular and sporting every time they have a fiddle with the rules.

Psychoca

• Norfolk
    • Beaten up Mondeo TDCI ST.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2010, 22:41:35 »

4 cylinder, 1.6 litre turbo charged engines, producing 750 horse power. Plus the average F1 car weighs around half a ton...

One of those 1.6 Turbo's sitting in a Miggy could be a nice bit of fun...   ::) 

aaronjb

« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2010, 22:57:00 »

Yep, can't see what's so bad about it myself.. back to the 80's era turbo cars, almost.

Let's face it, they don't need tons of torque - they already spend the entire race using a tiiiiiiny narrow power-band that's all at the top of their rev range (the only way you can get 700bhp from a 2.8ltr engine) so in reality there'll be very little difference in speed or acceleration.

Bet the engines will be a lot more highly stressed, though, so reliability will prove an interesting challenge.

Engine size isn't everything ;) My 1.8l car is considerably faster than my 3.2l Omega....
« Last Edit: 10 December 2010, 22:59:41 by aaronjb »

skyblue

• Omega Knight
  • Bracknell
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 December 2010, 23:36:28 »

Does this mean that races will take longer  now so I can sleep even longer when its on :-? ;D ;D
Caravaners  can only go as fast as the rest of the  other road users... so deal with it

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 December 2010, 23:37:14 »

Yep, can't see what's so bad about it myself.. back to the 80's era turbo cars, almost.

Let's face it, they don't need tons of torque - they already spend the entire race using a tiiiiiiny narrow power-band that's all at the top of their rev range (the only way you can get 700bhp from a 2.8ltr engine) so in reality there'll be very little difference in speed or acceleration.

Bet the engines will be a lot more highly stressed, though, so reliability will prove an interesting challenge.

Engine size isn't everything ;) My 1.8l car is considerably faster than my 3.2l Omega....

What he said. :y Never pooh pooh an engine on capacity without asking what it revs to and how much boost it's running. ;)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 December 2010, 23:41:38 »

Having said that, it's absurd for what is supposed to be the world's premier motor racing series to be pandering to the sandal-wearers and worrying about fuel economy, IMHO.

Motorsport is all about how fast you can burn fuel, surely?

What next? Les 24 secondes du Mans?  ;)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 December 2010, 23:56:01 »

As has been proven....MX5 V 3.0L Omega, MX5 wins....York Meet 2009........ :D :D :D

skyblue

• Omega Knight
  • Bracknell
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 December 2010, 00:20:07 »

As has been proven....MX5 V 3.0L Omega, MX5 wins....York Meet 2009........ :D :D :D
Lets hope this was an error of judgement on the omegas drivers part  or did he just let him win ::) :-/
Caravaners  can only go as fast as the rest of the  other road users... so deal with it

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 December 2010, 00:39:54 »

Lets hope this was an error of judgement on the omegas drivers part  or did he just let him win ::) :-/

No, MX5 won, no doubt, I was there, it caused a stir shall we say.... ::) ::) ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 December 2010, 01:11:49 »

No, MX5 won, no doubt, I was there, it caused a stir shall we say.... ::) ::) ::)

Not hard to see why. MX5 1.8 = 140 odd BHP in 1 tonne car = 140BHP/tonne

Omega 3.2 = 217 BHP in 1.8 tonne car = 120 BHP/tonne.

Not to mention the MX5 has much better gearing given that it's not designed for towing burger vans, etc.

The Omega would have clawed it back in the end though - had the run been longer. ;)

Kevin

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 December 2010, 02:13:35 »

I still think know a 3 litre omega, manual, or in this case automatic will destroy an mx5 in in gear acceleration, as the poor mx5 driver found out when trying to show off to his girlfriend with the roof down. Never under estimate the power of the omega!
TC and BnQ Trade holder.
I'll out pull you with my caravan!
V6 locking kit available locally, with deposit.

albitz

« Reply #14 on: 11 December 2010, 06:45:04 »

Only at speeds above the motorway limit imo. ;)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.