Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: V6 breathers/vac pipes  (Read 1564 times)

JezInBrum

• Intermediate Member
  • Birmingham
  • Built for comfort not speed
    • View Profile
V6 breathers/vac pipes
« on: 08 May 2007, 02:01:06 »

Hi, will be replacing cam cover gasket on my V6 soon. Have seen the thread on this which has some very useful photo's.
Also seen thread  the one  for the cleaning of the breathers. Similar request for thread regarding vac pipe routing.
Are there any photos for these last two topics that anyone might know of please?

Jez

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: V6 breathers/vac pipes
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2007, 07:44:36 »

Welcome to the forum Jez - the issue of cleaning breathers has been often discussed so I'm sure someone will come up with some photos, I may also be able to help a little later today....

Can you also specify engine type i.e. 2.5/3.0/2.6/3.2?

« Last Edit: 08 May 2007, 07:45:24 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2007, 08:15:02 »

I am slowly adding ones for the breather clean......the plenum section of this is now done....

Ronald_McBurger

« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2007, 08:51:05 »

Some pics to be going along with.

'D' is where the breather box is at the back, correctly known as the vent housing.

After removing the big breather pipe fromthe breather box, you may see something like this!!!! It needs to be cleaned AND removed, don't just push that crap inside!

After removing the smaller pipe from the breather box, you will see this. The tiny hole in the middle is what causes most the problems. Use a drawing pin or similar to clear it, then squirt some carb cleaner in nthe hole to break down the crud. (box removed for clarity only)

Once you remove the plenum, split the throttle bodies off the front and you may see this! These two holes are where the black pipes at the back of plenum end up, after going through the black lid part. If yours look ike this, you need to take the lid off and clean all the way through that too. You should be able to blow through all 4 of the vent pips at the back of the lid.

More pis as and when I find them
« Last Edit: 08 May 2007, 08:52:52 by Ronald_McBurger »

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2007, 11:05:41 »

RonaldMcBurger,(Mark etc)

What's your technique for cleaning the black Ecotec bit?  

When I did it I spent ages poking at it with a bike spoke, but not really sure if I cleaned its insides properly.

I don't have a compressed air set up (looking for an excuse though ;) ) - would a water hose do any good?

Cheers
Ian

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2007, 11:08:41 »

Thats all I used at the weekend. I gave lashings of carb/injector cleaner and then stuck the garden hose on it and left it to dry in the sun :y
Retired

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2007, 11:09:31 »

I normaly soak it well with carb cleaner and then blast it through with some medium...i.e. air or even water...

You often have to repeat a few times on the smaller breather holes...

I have added the pics to the guide....which is slowly being edited to get it back to its former glory...

AndersH

• Intermediate Member
  • Poole
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2007, 11:21:18 »

Do all 4 four tubes on the black Ecotec bit have a route all the way through? I blasted them at the weekend and one of them didn't budge at all (one of the smaller two). I will have another go at it soon, but I got scared that I wouldn't remember how to put everything back together again and ran out of carb cleaner so gave up!

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2007, 11:23:06 »

Not sure if its in the guide (wasn't when I was last there I think), but what is the consensus on how frequently to clean the breathers - is every 10k service appropriate? (I've only done this once since I became enlightened and found this forum, so don't know how quickly they will cake up again.)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 May 2007, 11:31:29 »

With 5K oil changes....every 20K miles....

All the pipes have a through route....the large two are obvious....the small two exit through holes in the turret style plug that sticks out of the base....try using a small piece of wire or very small drill bit to get the crudd shifted...

In reality it sounds like the smaller breather port is blocked, the other small port is for the carbon can vent system, so it gets cleaned regulalry by petrol fumes!  

STMO123

« Reply #10 on: 08 May 2007, 12:02:24 »

I am slowly adding ones for the breather clean......the plenum section of this is now done....

Great Mark! I've been waiting for that and I might actually have a go at somethig myself :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 May 2007, 12:04:20 »

All the pics are there with the exception of the breather pipes themselves.....have added the breather bridge O ring seal part numbers to....will add torque settings when I get a chance to...

I have to admit to modifying some of the text to....
« Last Edit: 08 May 2007, 12:04:45 by Mark »

STMO123

« Reply #12 on: 08 May 2007, 13:22:06 »

Just had a look at the amended guide. Even I can do it now. Thank you :y

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 May 2007, 14:54:00 »

Will be very useful when I come to do mine with my spark plug change.  Thank you for all your efforts Mark, and Ronnie for writing the guide in the first place!
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

JezInBrum

• Intermediate Member
  • Birmingham
  • Built for comfort not speed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 May 2007, 17:19:42 »

Thank you Mark, Ronny and the rest. Pics so far are a great help I seemed to have a pipe left disconnected after i replaced DIS. I dont recall disconnecting it as i marked up the ones that I did.
Only thing is aircon now does not blow cold. All the thin pipes were reconnected, made sure of that, but i now have another pipe  seemingly with nowhere to go.
From the pic Ronny has included showing the rear of the engine mine comes up from the back & is attached loosley by means od a plastic cable tie to the Twin pipe that pushes onto the plenum breathers.
Using the pic as a reference there is a pipe shown near that breather pipe that seems to be sticking up (has green writing on it). Maybe i am being dumb or is that just a vent pipe or does it attach to antyhing i may have removed whilst changing the DIS.
I did remove the plenum, scuttle & injector rail when i did this.
Thanks
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 19 queries.