Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I complain?  (Read 2952 times)

Paulus

• Wheaton Aston
  • Are you lookin' at me??? Punk???
    • View Profile
Should I complain?
« on: 08 May 2007, 15:21:16 »

About a month ago, I had new tyres fitted to the beast. Last weekend, I started to change the front disks. However, I had BIG trouble undoing the wheel studs. I tried using a torque wrench that went past the 210Nm scale. After buying a breaker bar, it eventually broke my (not cheap) socket.

What do you think. Cause to moan?

Paul.
Growing old disgracefully...

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Should I complain?
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2007, 15:28:30 »

Absolutely.....it wasn'the outfit down by the fotball ground was it...Stafford tyres?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2007, 15:31:18 »

About a month ago, I had new tyres fitted to the beast. Last weekend, I started to change the front disks. However, I had BIG trouble undoing the wheel studs. I tried using a torque wrench that went past the 210Nm scale. After buying a breaker bar, it eventually broke my (not cheap) socket.

What do you think. Cause to moan?

Paul.
[size=20]YES!!!![/size]
Years ago after ATS had put my Senator's wheel on that tight I bent the solid (not hollw sh1te that comes in the boot of an Omega) wheel brace, I drove back down to them for them to get the wheel off.
Using a torque wrench after they've put 400ft/lb with their windy gun isn't good enough. >:(
Apart from the damage to bolt & hub threads what if you'd to change the wheel at the side of the motorway in the piddling rain?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2007, 15:34:35 »

Cause to moan?

Absolutely. Manufacturer's spec. is around 100 Nm IIRC, so they were clearly overtightened. Classic case of doing them up with the air hammer  >:(

Where did you go to get them fitted? I've just got a result, on a different issue, by writing to the customer services dept. of one of the big chains of tyre fitters so worth a go. There's no way it could have siezed in a month. Be sure to mention the safety aspect of doing a bolt up to twice its' rated torque. Having one shear off is just as dangerous as it coming loose!

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Paulus

• Wheaton Aston
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2007, 16:11:50 »

I got them done at National Tyres in Cannock. I've got good ammo too - I am a mechanical Design Engineer.

Right then, I feel a snotty letter coming on  >:( Grrrrrrrr

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2007, 16:27:33 »

Right then, I feel a snotty letter coming on  >:( Grrrrrrrr

He He. I'm absolutely cr@p at complaining in person but when I'm in the mood and something winds me up there's nothing like letting off steam in a good snottogram. It generally works too, unless you're complaining to someone like a utility company whose customer service departments consist of blokes with shredders IME.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2007, 16:37:05 »

I agree 10/10 :y
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2007, 16:55:24 »

Me too!
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2007, 17:10:29 »

Presumably being an Elite its on alloys as well -the air gun should have gone nowhere near it IMHO.   and these people probably call themselves engineers.

JezInBrum

• Intermediate Member
  • Birmingham
  • Built for comfort not speed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 May 2007, 17:30:57 »

I agree, always been wary of these cowboy outfits that have never heard of a toqrue wrench.
I always carry a breaker bar & a hardened 17mm socket in case of emergency.
A few months ago i had to go to Coventry to rescue a mate with a flat tyre.
Had slpit socket & bent the standard one he got with his car. Told him to get them to replace that & the damaged wheel nuts which they did.

Paulus

• Wheaton Aston
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 May 2007, 17:42:40 »

Letter of complaint written (and I was being paid at the same time  ::))

It's going in the post this evening. I will send it to the branch first, if I get no reply, then I will escalate it.

miggy

« Reply #11 on: 08 May 2007, 18:48:24 »

I would definatly take it further if you get no joy from the branch, it would not have been them sat behind the wheel when the nut came flying off, absolute idiots, they need telling, these type of people wind me up because they have no regard for other peoples safety.

Pete [smiley=evil.gif] [smiley=evil.gif]
Letter of complaint written (and I was being paid at the same time  ::))

It's going in the post this evening. I will send it to the branch first, if I get no reply, then I will escalate it.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2007, 19:52:08 by miggy »

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 May 2007, 19:12:28 »

With respect to North Staffs Tyre & Battery...  Had a young tyre fitter balance my tyres, he used an air gun set to a low torque, he then torqued the 4 studs up to 80nm, and the locker hand tight by feel...  WELL DONE NST & B....  No complaints here.....

On the other hand, another local company to me, previously tightened my rear wheels up so tight that I broke, 1x6" ext bar, burst 1x 17mm socket & 1x 14" lever....  I managed to get a 23" wrecking bar for less than a tenner, a 12" ext bar (crows foot branded "ARMY ENGINEERS ISSUE",  nearly bust my wrist undoing them..   I put a spot of copper slip on the flange to stop bonding... they come off easy now.....   I always bear in mind the poor AA, RAC or whoever has the task on a wet, dark motorway..

DC
Do it right, do it once................

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 May 2007, 19:29:29 »

By all means, complain....

Firstly they’ll deny it all, saying you did not check it properly and it wasn’t over-tightened etc etc.

Then they’ll’ agree it was over-tightened, but it was someone else, you must have had the car in another garage after fitting the tyres because they have procedures and checks in place etc etc.

Then they’ll say it’s quite normal, the bolts seize as result on the wheels turning and the engine vibrating and rust and corrosion and what have you.

Finally they'll accept that they got it wrong but will say that they lessons have been learnt and procedures improved and staff trained etc etc.

In reality, they’ll do bugger all about it and will keep tightening the wheel bolts to bionic torques.

call me an old sceptic...  :(

Alas, no more Omegas....

miggy

« Reply #14 on: 08 May 2007, 19:40:05 »

You old sceptic  ;D ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.