Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New owner...  (Read 1729 times)

OptiBull

• Bristol/Bath
  • RWD Rules
    • View Profile
New owner...
« on: 10 May 2007, 19:49:47 »

As i said in the welcome section i have one or two things i need to sort on the car.

One -  Not had a chance to look yet as its not stoped raining! But i got a smell of oil when i got home last night. Im guessing the most likaly cause being blocked beathers/cam covers leaking? Whats this job like to do?

Two - The air con doesnt work, noticed this when buying and put it down to needing gassing as the compresser did not engauge when it should have. Is this the most likaly cause? Is there any way of telling?

Three - The CD player does not work it loads each CD in turn then comes up with "No CD" Not really a problem cos i was just going to fit a aftermarket one anyway. But... Doesnt the trip computer/fault codes come from the radio?

Four - Traffic master, Its coming on every now and then telling me to register! Anyway of doing away with it?

Oh and is my car suposed to have a lsd? Had a little play with the TC off last night and and it felt like a open diff to me?

Sure there is more to ask, all in good time :)

Cheers guys.
Ben

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
Re: New owner...
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2007, 19:54:49 »

Hello Ben and welcome.

I see you have a 200SX - always fancied one of them.  As I got a 944 last year don't think I will be allowed though :(

The cam covers are ok to do - there are excellent guides on here for this job and the breather cleaning inc photos.  and before anyone else says it -- make sure you use genuine Vx seals.

Cheers

Ian

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2007, 19:58:41 »

In order:

Sounds like cam covers/breathers

Get it regassed with dye, in case its leaking.

Sounds like the CD player is knackered, actually sounds like laser or carrier problem.

Remove it, up above pedals IIRC

No LSD on it

Sorry for brief answers, I'm in a hurry :(
Grumpy old man

OptiBull

• Bristol/Bath
  • RWD Rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2007, 20:03:32 »

Hello Ben and welcome.

I see you have a 200SX - always fancied one of them.  As I got a 944 last year don't think I will be allowed though :(

The cam covers are ok to do - there are excellent guides on here for this job and the breather cleaning inc photos.  and before anyone else says it -- make sure you use genuine Vx seals.

Cheers

Ian

Yeah the 200 is a truely amazing car to own! So rewarding to drive. Mines upto 325bhp now dont want any more than that.  :o Get one  :y
« Last Edit: 10 May 2007, 20:03:54 by OptiBull »
Ben

OptiBull

• Bristol/Bath
  • RWD Rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2007, 20:05:07 »

Sounds like the CD player is knackered, actually sounds like laser or carrier problem.

Thanks for your reply, ok to remove it then not needed for the display etc?
« Last Edit: 10 May 2007, 20:05:32 by OptiBull »
Ben

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2007, 20:07:27 »

I'm sure I saw a post here re disconnecting the Traffic Master, will look it up later... unless you want to keep it, in which case you should renew (I do...), call them on 08705 561712.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2007, 20:08:04 »

Hello and welcome.

One - Cam covers is probably the favourite. Check the breathers and clean them out if necessary - howto on here. Also check the plug wells to see if they have filled with oil.

Two - The air con compressor doesn't engage if the system pressure is low. Cheapest way to re-gas is probably Kwik Fit but read my comments on here. Tell them it doesn't work first and they will vac it out, leak test it and re-gas for 44.95. The deal is that you get your money back if it doesn't improve it but it took me some hassle to achieve that so be ready to whinge. Check all the fuses are OK first though. They won't be able to help beyond a re-gas but at least, in theory, you have nothing to lose.

Three - AFAIK the trip computer will work without the radio. You can also get an adaptor lead to enable some radios to talk to it - at a price. Might be worth taking apart the CD changer and giving it a clean before condemning it.

Four - It's behind the panel above the driver's feet apparently. Should just be able to disconnect it.

Oh and is my car suposed to have a lsd? Had a little play with the TC off last night and and it felt like a open diff to me?

I think only the police got LSDs.  >:( Bit of a shame because the TC does noting to improve traction. It just shuts the power down if it thinks you're going to crash IME.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

OptiBull

• Bristol/Bath
  • RWD Rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2007, 20:17:50 »

Cheers Kevin, Is a shame about the diff any on ever fitted a lsd from a police model then?

Thanks guys, pritty much answerd my questions all within about 15 mins! Nice work  :)
Ben

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2007, 20:25:54 »

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

I had exactly the same problem with the CD player as you - it would read and play mastered discs, but hardly any of my CD-Rs.  Then, it stopped playing anything.  I fitted an aftermarket system (Pioneer) and have not look back since.

The point of saying all this is that the Trip Computer and Check control system work fine without the original system being connected.  However, you will lose the RDS clock facility (which I found quite good actually) and the display will no longer show the radio station or disc / tape readout.  This is replaced by the date.  I am not too bothered by this although you can purchase an adapter to drive the display again.  They come up on e-Bay from time to time and are made by Connects2.  This is not as easy as it seems though; 1. the are quite expensive (over £50 I think) and, more importantly, 2: there is hardly any room behind the head unit for additional cabling and interface boxes as you will discover.  For these reasons, I left it alone.  You will also loose the steering wheel buttons, and yes you can get an adapter for these, but again I left them disconnected.

There are some Car Audio experts on here, Laidback and Hilper being two that come to mind.

Hope this helps
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2007, 20:28:38 »

And yes, the Traffic Master is above the pedal panel on the left hand side (near the centre of the car).  It has traffic master written on it.  Have you tried pressing the switch on the dash to turn it off?

Agree with all other comments about oil and air con.

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2007, 21:06:12 »

traffic master (box is marked "traffic master oracle") needs the multi-pin plug disconnecting - this will shut it up permanently. Otherwise it will still occasionally moan about the subscription being expired  >:(

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2007, 22:04:20 »

Mine must be exceptional then as it is not disconnected and has not "spoke to me" once!  Mind you, I have never pressed the switch either as I do not want to start it off!

Pete Elite

• Omega Knight
  • Uxbridge, Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2007, 22:25:54 »

Three - AFAIK the trip computer will work without the radio. You can also get an adaptor lead to enable some radios to talk to it.
 Hi Kevin wood,
                      With regards to your above statement i was thinking of changing my original HU for a Sony one, could you let me know if they do a cable for it and if so where from?

Thanks for any help,
                              Pete :y.

Martin_1962

« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2007, 00:03:21 »

Three - AFAIK the trip computer will work without the radio. You can also get an adaptor lead to enable some radios to talk to it.
 Hi Kevin wood,
                      With regards to your above statement i was thinking of changing my original HU for a Sony one, could you let me know if they do a cable for it and if so where from?

Thanks for any help,

Connects2
DOPS004 PFL
DOPS005 FL

usually - look at the multi plug and post back in here for a definate answer

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2007, 08:53:01 »

Hi Kevin wood,

Thanks for any help,

I have a Sony display and controls adaptor spare in the garage I could do you a deal on if you are interested, was fitted to my mini facelift estate.......now no longer required.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.