Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.0 elite vs bmw 320  (Read 5103 times)

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
3.0 elite vs bmw 320
« on: 16 August 2006, 10:46:34 »

I was sat at traffic lights on Sunday on my was to Greenock when a BMW pulled along side. Knowing I had a 250 mile plus drive I thought I would be a good boy and take it easy but the BMW driver kept edging forward more and more which wound me up. So lights go to green and were off foot to the floor and the BMW is still with me. No problem wait till the revese rise and the old girl gets into her stride bye bye BMW. Nope instant licence losing speed and ive only gained 20ft anyway next lights and onto the M6. The BMW is going south look at the rear of the beemer and bugger me its a diesel :o. Is there something wrong with my car [smiley=cry.gif]
Retired

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Re: 3.0 elite vs bmw 320
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2006, 10:49:12 »

Hmmmm remember we are talking about 8 seconds or so to 60 in the omega......

Also are you sure it maybe wasnt a 330diesel - now they are tremendously fast and quick!!
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2006, 10:49:30 »

I was sat at traffic lights on Sunday on my was to Greenock when a BMW pulled along side. Knowing I had a 250 mile plus drive I thought I would be a good boy and take it easy but the BMW driver kept edging forward more and more which wound me up. So lights go to green and were off foot to the floor and the BMW is still with me. No problem wait till the revese rise and the old girl gets into her stride bye bye BMW. Nope instant licence losing speed and ive only gained 20ft anyway next lights and onto the M6. The BMW is going south look at the rear of the beemer and bu**er me its a diesel :o. Is there something wrong with my car [smiley=cry.gif]
Retired

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2006, 10:53:30 »

Definitely a 320D I did a double take.
Retired

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2006, 10:55:33 »

Hmmmm remember we are talking about 8 seconds or so to 60 in the omega......

Also are you sure it maybe wasnt a 330diesel - now they are tremendously fast and quick!!

Indeed they are.

A few years ago my uncle had a brand new BMW 330 Petrol, he was at some lights in stains, when a guy in the same coloured BMW 3 series pull up... he asked him to wind the window down, which he did.

The guy asked "Is that a REAL 330 m8?" - his reply "yup"

So he said "This is a 330 Diesel, wanna drag?" - his reply "ok"

So the went for it off the line, both Auto's - now my uncle won, but only just! he said it was very close but only just edged out in front.

Thing is my uncle got high teen's to the gallon were as the diesel got 30!  :o

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2006, 10:57:51 »

Just had a quick Google. BMW 320D 163BHP and 0-62 8.3 sec. Think its time me and the Meega went on a diet ;D
Retired

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2006, 10:58:00 »

would have thought you wouold have had it over a 320 - but then again console yourself that you bought your omega for probably a hell of a lot less than Germanys best  ;) what sort of speeds are we talking...?
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2006, 11:01:14 »

Got to 110 before I had to brake hard for the lights.
Retired

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 August 2006, 11:22:41 »

Its a modern over blown diesel.......lighter and smaller car to!

Liam

• Intermediate Member
  • Da Ghetto, Kempston Rural, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 August 2006, 11:39:19 »

I was parked next to a new 3 series the other day.  It's actually longer and taller than my omega!!  Always the way with new cars - they just get fatter and fatter.  Still, he paid around 25 grand and you were faster - that's all that matters isn't it :)

Liam

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 August 2006, 11:42:57 »

4.5m x 1.8m so it is smaller and 1.5 ton so lighter to.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2006, 11:48:30 by Mark »

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 August 2006, 12:30:48 »

I was sat at traffic lights on Sunday on my was to Greenock when a BMW pulled along side. Knowing I had a 250 mile plus drive I thought I would be a good boy and take it easy but the BMW driver kept edging forward more and more which wound me up. So lights go to green and were off foot to the floor and the BMW is still with me. No problem wait till the revese rise and the old girl gets into her stride bye bye BMW. Nope instant licence losing speed and ive only gained 20ft anyway next lights and onto the M6. The BMW is going south look at the rear of the beemer and bugger me its a diesel :o. Is there something wrong with my car [smiley=cry.gif]

Problem is that todays modern diesel engines are getting more powerful, particularly with their advanced turbo's. With my limited knowledge I assume this means they get much more low end torque whereby the Omega's V6 needs to be wound up much higher in the rev range before the power really kicks in. I got to admit though, it's a trifle embarassing being seen off by a smaller engined oil burner :-[ - no offence to you guys with Omega TD's ;)
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 August 2006, 13:42:38 »

Also if i remember correctly it makes 330Nm of torque which makes it fly.

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 August 2006, 13:48:13 »

It surprised me. Thought id left the handbrake on ;D
Retired

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 August 2006, 14:48:35 »

Problem is that todays modern diesel engines are getting more powerful, particularly with their advanced turbo's. With my limited knowledge I assume this means they get much more low end torque whereby the Omega's V6 needs to be wound up much higher in the rev range before the power really kicks in. I got to admit though, it's a trifle embarassing being seen off by a smaller engined oil burner :-[ - no offence to you guys with Omega TD's ;)

It doesn't help the low down torque as the compression ratio is lowered to allow the higher boost to be run (hence the feeling of nothin, then loads and then nothing again) producing a very peeky engine.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.