Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lorry attack in Nice  (Read 2938 times)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
Lorry attack in Nice
« on: 15 July 2016, 15:23:19 »

Surprised no ones mentioned this,how awful was that :'( :'(
« Last Edit: 16 July 2016, 22:02:08 by Marks DTM Calib »
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

STEMO

Re: Nice Lorry attack
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2016, 15:34:07 »

I wouldn't have put that as a thread title, Henry, (perhaps 'lorry attack in Nice  :))but it was, indeed, awful. Personally, I can't see any way of stopping a determined man/woman who is prepared to mow down children and give up their own life. Unless we can convince them that when you're dead, you're dead, but I doubt we'll ever achieve that either.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 July 2016, 15:46:52 »

I wouldn't have put that as a thread title, Henry, (perhaps 'lorry attack in Nice  :))but it was, indeed, awful. Personally, I can't see any way of stopping a determined man/woman who is prepared to mow down children and give up their own life. Unless we can convince them that when you're dead, you're dead, but I doubt we'll ever achieve that either.

Didn't think as I wrote title and can't alter it now,as you say very little can be done with these people who have such disregard for life :'(
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 July 2016, 18:54:02 »

that is how it read on the net minutes after it had happened. it was a bit misleading until I read.  unfortunately this type of terrorism is virtually impossible to stop.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2016, 19:00:19 »

It was indeed an awful event-last I heard there were 80+ dead,could be more by now.The old saying is all too true that the security people have to be lucky 100% of the time while the bad guys only have to be lucky the once!Unfortunately I think the West have really only themselves to blame for the most part as we continually interfere in the Middle East getting rid of Hussein,Gadaffi etc.and then basically walking away and leaving them to it.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 July 2016, 20:18:54 »

It was indeed an awful event-last I heard there were 80+ dead,could be more by now.The old saying is all too true that the security people have to be lucky 100% of the time while the bad guys only have to be lucky the once!Unfortunately I think the West have really only themselves to blame for the most part as we continually interfere in the Middle East getting rid of Hussein,Gadaffi etc.and then basically walking away and leaving them to it.

Another assumption. He had no known terrorist links but is known to be depressed and broken after the breakdown of his marriage
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 July 2016, 22:01:22 »

What a horrible act. Your heart goes out to those affected.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 July 2016, 22:22:43 »

Another assumption. He had no known terrorist links but is known to be depressed and broken after the breakdown of his marriage

As above, I think he heard voices, etc, people are assuming it was a terror attack because his name was Mohammed, I think he was just  an unhinged, individual who happened to be called Mohammed and not Pierre, or François.
Hoof'land storeman.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 July 2016, 02:40:18 »

Henry when I read it I automatically used the French pronunciation, and didn't think any different until I read the comments. Perfectly understand, that no offence intended and non-taken,

Having spent time in France, including the South of France, I found this very upsetting and couldn't reply until I had composed myself a bit.

What has happened is a terrible, disgusting, mass murder, by another male misfit. >:( :( :( He fits the profile of those misfits that attack us. >:( >:( >:(

We need to recognize we are at war. In WWII, civilians had taped windows, styrup pumps (against incendiaries), hard hats, gas masks and civil defense lessons. My wife in Ukraine as a teacher had to teach civil defense. In Western society we need to do the same, recognize how we improve defenses, the UK after the IRA is more ahead than most, but also, when confronted by terrorists, do you know how to react to minimize the danger to you and damage to your families?

Like first aid, we need to be taught.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 July 2016, 09:52:52 »

Henry when I read it I automatically used the French pronunciation, and didn't think any different until I read the comments. Perfectly understand, that no offence intended and non-taken,

Having spent time in France, including the South of France, I found this very upsetting and couldn't reply until I had composed myself a bit.

What has happened is a terrible, disgusting, mass murder, by another male misfit. >:( :( :( He fits the profile of those misfits that attack us. >:( >:( >:(

We need to recognize we are at war. In WWII, civilians had taped windows, styrup pumps (against incendiaries), hard hats, gas masks and civil defense lessons. My wife in Ukraine as a teacher had to teach civil defense. In Western society we need to do the same, recognize how we improve defenses, the UK after the IRA is more ahead than most, but also, when confronted by terrorists, do you know how to react to minimize the danger to you and damage to your families?

Like first aid, we need to be taught.

To be taught what exactly  fear, we need to go about our daily business, as normal, just being more vigilant,  also we are not in the Ukraine, we do not need air raid wardens, or any other form of, civil defence we have a police force and a security service,.
Admittedly they aren't up to it occasionally, but they get my vote.
 you will no doubt find a useless, guardian type article to link and refer to. I blame Putin.
Hoof'land storeman.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 July 2016, 20:10:48 »

It's been reported that IS have claimed responsibility for this,however since the driver is dead there's no way of proving/disproving this and it may just be they're claiming it for the publicity for their "cause".

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 July 2016, 20:26:52 »

It's been reported that IS have claimed responsibility for this,however since the driver is dead there's no way of proving/disproving this and it may just be they're claiming it for the publicity for their "cause".

I suspect the latter. If he had the background no of IS then the weapons would have been real and the truck would probably have exploded too >:(
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 July 2016, 21:33:33 »

Hollande said yesterday afternoon that it was without doubt a terrorist attack. It has been reported that witnesses heard him shouting "Allah akbah" as he drove the lorry. Don't think theres much doubt tbh.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 July 2016, 22:04:16 »

Hollande said yesterday afternoon that it was without doubt a terrorist attack. It has been reported that witnesses heard him shouting "Allah akbah" as he drove the lorry. Don't think theres much doubt tbh.

You want to hear some of things I shout while I'm driving. ::)
Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.