Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Car shopping  (Read 34975 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Car shopping
« Reply #180 on: 26 September 2018, 16:10:21 »

So let me see.

Derv is more expensive than proper fuel

Plus the cost of the AdBlue

Figure into the equation that diesel is deader than tank tops and your car will be harder to sell and worth less money.

Figure info the equation that your car will sound 'agricultural' and have all the emotional appeal of 'white goods'

So the appeal of diesel is what, exactly? :)

It ain't that dead....

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/sales-used-diesels-rise-despite-overall-decline-second-hand-car-market

Some people are taking advantage of cheaper used diesels because owners are willing to take less in order to be get shot of them. :)

Not rocket science.

Few people are  willing to buy new diesel cars. :)
I'll buy used ones until there's none left. They don't suit everybody but are ideal for my purposes.

.......and then buy a new derv? ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 26 September 2018, 16:12:13 »

I'm not up to doing the maths exactly, I'm not too well today (Ahhhhhhh), but I do around 17000 miles a year. If I get around 30mpg from a petrol and 45mpg from a diesel, that's a few shillings saved, even taking into account the 3-5p difference in price per litre (or 14 to 22p a gallon).

I give you my word as a gentleman that I'm genuinely sorry to hear this. ::) 8)

STEMO

« Reply #182 on: 26 September 2018, 16:13:47 »

I'm not up to doing the maths exactly, I'm not too well today (Ahhhhhhh), but I do around 17000 miles a year. If I get around 30mpg from a petrol and 45mpg from a diesel, that's a few shillings saved, even taking into account the 3-5p difference in price per litre (or 14 to 22p a gallon).
Back of a fag packet calculation tells me it's over 200 gallons cheaper with a diesel, that's over £1000.

STEMO

« Reply #183 on: 26 September 2018, 16:14:46 »

So let me see.

Figure into the equation that diesel is deader than tank tops and your car will be harder to sell and worth less money.

Figure info the equation that your car will sound 'agricultural' and have all the emotional appeal of 'white goods'

It ain't that dead....

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/sales-used-diesels-rise-despite-overall-decline-second-hand-car-market

Some people are taking advantage of cheaper used diesels because owners are willing to take less in order to be get shot of them. :)

Not rocket science.

I'll buy used ones until there's none left. They don't suit everybody but are ideal for my purposes.

No, I don't buy new cars.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 26 September 2018, 16:17:06 »

Back of a fag packet calculation tells me it's over 200 gallons cheaper with a diesel, that's over £1000.

My guess is the more 'bad press' derv gets the extra depreciation of an oil burner will be far more than £1000.

STEMO

« Reply #185 on: 26 September 2018, 16:17:55 »

Also, the combined RFL for me and the wife is £160. Yours is over £1000. Not that I'm remotely comparing our cars to yours.

STEMO

« Reply #186 on: 26 September 2018, 16:19:27 »

My guess is the more 'bad press' derv gets the extra depreciation of an oil burner will be far more than £1000.
The 'extra depreciation' is already done when I buy them.  :)

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 26 September 2018, 16:19:42 »

Not rocket science.

I'm done for then, as I drive a derv, and guess what kind of sweater I pulled out of the drawers this morning??
 ::) :-[ ::) :-[ :-X :-X

STEMO

« Reply #188 on: 26 September 2018, 16:21:12 »

Not rocket science.

I'm done for then, as I drive a derv, and guess what kind of sweater I pulled out of the drawers this morning??
 ::) :-[ ::) :-[ :-X :-X
Sweater? It's 21° here.  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 26 September 2018, 16:22:10 »

Of course, the last thing I want to do is give the impression I'm anti-diesel. :) ::) ::)

If I could pick up the latest BMW/Jaguar/ Mercedes/Audi derv for a few hundred quid  I'd be willing to overlook the fact that it's killing all the baby polar bears. :)

STEMO

« Reply #190 on: 26 September 2018, 16:23:13 »

Of course, the last thing I want to do is give the impression I'm anti-diesel. :) ::) ::)

If I could pick up the latest BMW/Jaguar/ Mercedes/Audi derv for a few hundred quid  I'd be willing to overlook the fact that it's killing all the baby polar bears. :)
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=143562.0

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 26 September 2018, 16:25:40 »

So let me see.

It ain't that dead....

Second hand and New markets are very,  very different. New, modest diesels are fast becoming 1.0 petrol.

All that trouble people were having trying to find second hand petrol cars? Well give it a couple of years and there will be absolutely no choice of diesels.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 26 September 2018, 16:27:55 »

Be interesting to see what happens at the exec saloon end of the market. Small bore petrol isn't a substitute for a big diesel V.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: 26 September 2018, 16:28:00 »

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=143562.0

To quote the POTUS, it's fake news...........and even if true, it will take decades to be implemented. Diesel will be six feet under by then along with probably both of us.  :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: 26 September 2018, 16:32:22 »

Be interesting to see what happens at the exec saloon end of the market. Small bore petrol isn't a substitute for a big diesel V.
1.6 fours with active cylinder management/turbos and superchargers... Oh and a couple of 540s ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.