Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: car insurance  (Read 1022 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
car insurance
« on: 03 January 2019, 12:53:55 »

i am beginning to wonder whether it is worth getting my dti insured just third party, fire & theft as the valuation on an omega has really depreciated. when my 2.5 td got wrote off when a merc trying to get through traffic lights ran into the back of me. my insurer was only offering £60 once they had taken excess into consideration.  :-\

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: car insurance
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2019, 12:55:00 »

Bizarrely, tpf&t often seems to be more expensive than fully comp nowadays.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 January 2019, 14:00:04 »

I believe that the minimum cover required by law is third party only. Assuming that it isn't worth stealing and you have removed the power sounder, is it likely to catch fire - perhaps it could be cheaper to go for the minimum legal cover?

Ron.

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 January 2019, 14:45:23 »

I believe that the minimum cover required by law is third party only. Assuming that it isn't worth stealing and you have removed the power sounder, is it likely to catch fire - perhaps it could be cheaper to go for the minimum legal cover?

Ron.
i  will get quotes for all options. when i remarked about getting a shunt from behind i was on my way to get the tracking done (proper job  after just renewing rear springs , everything to do with front suspension & steering except the idler as that had only recently been done. was i sick

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 January 2019, 14:53:28 »

Fully comp is often cheaper...

The Omega hasn't been worth more than a set of tyres and a cambelt change for a while now.

You might find a broker that will build a policy which covers your third party liability and allow you to self insure the value of your car, actually this might be how third party already works :-\

Alternatively, raise your excess to equal the value of the car... If it's written off by someone else, you won't pay the excess anyway, and if you write it off, you probably won't claim anyway...

Have a play on a comparison site and see what happens if you up the excess to £1,000.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 January 2019, 17:25:48 »

These days it's very unlikely that you'll find a third party only or third party fire & theft policy cheaper than fully comp. Seems the mere fact of asking makes it look like you're higher risk driving a banger that you don't care about.
I've tried upping the excess but the difference to the premium is never significant.

You might find the Omega cheaper to insure as a second car. Might even qualify for an agreed value classic car policy.
Add your wife, husband, sister or brother, any significant other, who is over 25 with a good record, as an additional driver if you haven't already.
Always shop around and don't leave it to the last minute.
Some insurers such as Direct Line and Aviva don't appear on comparison sites.
No insurer publishes all of the available policies online or on the comparison sites. Some policies are broker only.
So try a broker.

And remember you receive a no-claim discount, not a no-blame discount. A claim of any sort, even where all costs were recovered from the other party, will increase the underlying premium for the next 3 to 5 years.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.