Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Turbo Diesels  (Read 2628 times)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
Turbo Diesels
« on: 03 August 2014, 07:30:28 »

Is it true you should let a diesel turbo idle for 30 secs. before switching off?
I like red cars

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo Diesels
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2014, 08:20:52 »

Is it true you should let a diesel turbo idle for 30 secs. before switching off?

It's not good for any turbo'd engine to turn it off straight away after 'enthusiastic' driving where the turbo has been in use. Letting it idle for a short time before turning it off allows oil to circulate the turbos bearing to remove heat from them

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2014, 08:25:44 »

It's not good for any turbo'd engine to turn it off straight away after 'enthusiastic' driving where the turbo has been in use. Letting it idle for a short time before turning it off allows oil to circulate the turbos bearing to remove heat from them

Well, you live and learn, thank you :y
I like red cars

chrisgixer

« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2014, 08:29:13 »

So just like the rest of the engine? :-\

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2014, 08:35:53 »

Looks like it.
I like red cars

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2014, 09:03:31 »

No ..... the oil in the rest of the engine isn't subjected to the same high temp as that around the turbo's bearings

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 August 2014, 09:20:55 »

No ..... the oil in the rest of the engine isn't subjected to the same high temp as that around the turbo's bearings

You live and learn  - again :y
I like red cars

chrisgixer

« Reply #7 on: 03 August 2014, 09:32:35 »

Maybe so, but that's relevant to a turbo, be it petrol or diesel. Why would a diesel turbo get special treatment any more than a petrol turbo.

I wouldn't give an engine any more of a chance to cool down after a thrashing or a pootle, but that's the nature of the speed limits and built up areas on the roads leading to my house.

Obviously after a track day that would "might" be different into pit lane.

But to say any turbo diesel must run at idle for an amount of time after a run would be ridiculous. IMO.

Let's face it if something is over heating, the quickest way to cool to down is to turn it off. Then apply un related cooling such as a fan. Hence the fans run after switch off.

No.....?

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 August 2014, 09:50:00 »

Maybe so, but that's relevant to a turbo, be it petrol or diesel. Why would a diesel turbo get special treatment any more than a petrol turbo.

I wouldn't give an engine any more of a chance to cool down after a thrashing or a pootle, but that's the nature of the speed limits and built up areas on the roads leading to my house.

But to say any turbo diesel must run at idle for an amount of time after a run would be ridiculous. IMO.

Let's face it if something is over heating, the quickest way to cool to down is to turn it off. Then apply un related cooling such as a fan. Hence the fans run after switch off.

No.....?

I think what Andy is referring to is the spool down time for the turbo be it petrol or diesel,the turbo can be spinning at many thousands of rpm after a burst of acceleration and there is a risk that a sudden engine stop can leave the turbo still spinning without oil being pumped around the bearings :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 August 2014, 10:19:53 »

I've always understood that you should also let a TD idle for a while when started from cold so oil is pumped into the turbo.  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 August 2014, 10:22:22 »

The turbo on a car engine will spool down almost instantly and the oil is pumped through the turbo bearings at some rate so if you should burst a oil feed pipe you end up with the sump contents on the road pretty fast.
If it were a bigger engine like a train of which ive driven at a railway preservation you always left the triple pump running for at least 2 minutes to let the turbo stop spinning

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 August 2014, 10:24:02 »

I think what Andy is referring to is the spool down time for the turbo be it petrol or diesel,the turbo can be spinning at many thousands of rpm after a burst of acceleration and there is a risk that a sudden engine stop can leave the turbo still spinning without oil being pumped around the bearings :y

Yes, and, in addition, the turbo will be very much hotter than any other part of the engine to which the oil circulates. Shut it down at this temperature and the residual oil in the bearing might get hot enough to scorch, leaving deposits on the bearing which will result in its' untimely demise. Leave it idling and it will continue to be cooled by the oil.

Probably only needs to be 30 seconds or so without load but, in a scenario where it comes from towing a caravan on a motorway, into a service station and engine off.. might be good practice to let it idle a little. :y

Some turbo cars have a water cooled turbo with either a thermo syphon or an electric pump that runs after the engine, but many have only an oil supply, which doesn't allow any flow after shutdown.

It goes without saying that petrol or diseasel is irrelevant, as the turbo is pretty much identical.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 August 2014, 10:50:01 »

I guess also that turbos are generally mounted high up, so that the oil will drain out quickly.  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 August 2014, 10:53:01 »

No.....?

chrisgixer

« Reply #14 on: 03 August 2014, 12:29:16 »

So, 99 times out of 100, no, not necessary.

Unless your drive way is directly at the end of a motorway slip road after hard engine use. ::)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.